Updating vs New Build

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I need advice on a few questions, which are not entirely related to this section. I am raising them here in any case. Please forgive me.

Temperature

I currently have a HP xw8600. It is 3 1/2 years old. Spec: Xeon x5450, 28 GB DDR2 RAM, NVS Quadro 440 GPU. It is for real-time financial market number crunchng.

I see temperatures as follows when CPU is 35% - 85% occupied. All are in degrees C

Mobo: 65 in 35 - 68 range
CPU: 45 in 41 - 48 range
Cores: 72-81 in 55-85 range
RAM: 67-83 in 62-85 rane

I probably think Core is fine but concerned that RAM temp is a little on the higer side. Please tell me if these temp ranges are fine or if I need to repalce the heatsink / fan. The CPU comes with a tall heatsink/fan supplied by default by HP.

Upgrade vs New Build

The current workstation with a powerful notebook (clevo x7200 - i7 950, 12 GB DDR3 ram, Seagate Hybrid HDD) is sufficient for current use with travel inclusive. There was very little video production for my work (finance). i the past. However. I am looking to diversify my product offerings by including a regular video market update. I am not sure if that is going to be pretty intensive video production. Intention is to produce video using Adobe and preferably export as flash for web publishing (unless some other suitable alternative is to be considered).

The current xw8600 or clevo workstation won't be sufficient for video rendering of my work. I thought I would need another CPU and a pretty good GPU (GFX 680 or Quadro 4000). The second CPU has got to be xeon x5450 costing about £1000 plus VAT. GPU would be £425 to £700 plus VAT on a DDR2 RAM workstation.

A newbuild would be more expensive but will be far more powerful than the dual xeon x5450 witt 28 GB DDR2 RAM. Using the CPU benchmark score, I doubt if it makes sense to upgrade the current xw8600 and pay at least £1500 plus VAT on CPU and GPU.

A better alternative may be to leave the current workstation as it is and build a new workhorse, when I am ready, using Asus Rampage V Extreme mobo and throw in an i7 2700k or i7 2930K to overclock them with a 32 GB DDR3 RAM and an SSD bootdisk with RAID 5 OR RAID 50 e-SATA NAS.

Should I go for (1) an upgrade OR (2) leave the xw8600 as it is and build an overclocked new pc for real-time financial market number crunching and video production.

Thanks for your help in advance.

SSri

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

As a new build alternative to upgrade, the mobo choices are either Asus Rampage IV extreme or Asus Maximus V Gene.

Any advice on temperature and upgrade vs newbuild would be greatly appreciated....

thanks

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I would be grateful if some one could look at my post and advise.