Sign in with
Your question

What would be better

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2012 9:45:54 PM

Hello, i currently am running with a Hewlett-Packard computer model m8300f AMD anthlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00ghz 32-bit operating system with a 3.00 GB RAM memory. now my issue is my outdated graphics card which is a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. now im into gaming and all and i recently bought SWTOR and i used to play WoW and Rift. could run both games fine Rift was a low fps rate and swtor is just beyond bad, now my question is what should i upgrade my vid card too? swtor requirements says: "256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better)." is required for a minimal/good performance but i honestly have no idea what is what and how to tell if one is better than the other. and i figured bigger the number better the card so would for example a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1302-LR be better than a Geforce 7800? or is it worse. and im trying not to go money crazy on a graphics card.

More about : question

February 10, 2012 10:01:07 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is the most powerful card you can get without using an external 6-pin power connector. Your computer does not have needed power connectors nor wattage to support a 6-pin. Also don't expect more powerful cards because you have a slightly older system with dual core CPU.
February 10, 2012 10:07:02 PM

Hard to tell exactly what's going on from your post, but I'm hearing you ask for the best graphics card upgrade to put in a desktop with:

Athlon 64 x2 6000+
3 GB (DDR2?) RAM
32 bit windows

In order to play SWTOR. What resolution do you want to play at?

Honestly, your CPU is not great either. I wouldn't recommend pairing an expensive graphics card with it. I'd recommend maybe the Radeon HD 6770. It's only about $100 and would probably pair OK with your system. Don't expect any miracles on that CPU, though.

Per your specific question, the 7800 would be a lot better than an 8400GS. You can check out the graphics card hierarchy here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

However, I'd recommend a more modern card. I'd guess the Radeon 6770 would run SWTOR fine.

:Edit: On a card like that, you'd be fine just using a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-e power connector, if your power supply doesn't have one. You can buy those adapters for a dollar or two if you don't have one.
Related resources
February 17, 2012 8:20:34 PM

i dont much care entirly low is fine with me to be honest on all settings. and yeah its a DDR2. just trying to find something that will run SWTOR on with what i have but not make me have to fork over for a new computer. so really anything anything that will let me run with low-medium graphics on the game with what i have is what im looking for.
February 17, 2012 8:22:47 PM

also that wont make me have FPS lag which it runs about 1-2 currently worse in other areas. so anything that will push that up to like or between a 5-20 is totally good with me. let me run it till its time to up my computer
February 17, 2012 8:27:44 PM

and i currently only play at the like 1050x something resolution because it helps the fps a huge amount id prefer to play it on like 1280x1050 think thats what i had it originally
February 17, 2012 8:43:00 PM

HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f
Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
Processor: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
RAM: 3 gigs
Windows Vista home premium 32-bit operating system.
current graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.
Power supply: 300W
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
1 PCI Express x1 slots
2 PCI slot

think full specs you might need idk.
!