What would be better

Hello, i currently am running with a Hewlett-Packard computer model m8300f AMD anthlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00ghz 32-bit operating system with a 3.00 GB RAM memory. now my issue is my outdated graphics card which is a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. now im into gaming and all and i recently bought SWTOR and i used to play WoW and Rift. could run both games fine Rift was a low fps rate and swtor is just beyond bad, now my question is what should i upgrade my vid card too? swtor requirements says: "256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better)." is required for a minimal/good performance but i honestly have no idea what is what and how to tell if one is better than the other. and i figured bigger the number better the card so would for example a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1302-LR be better than a Geforce 7800? or is it worse. and im trying not to go money crazy on a graphics card.
8 answers Last reply
More about what better
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131449
    This is the most powerful card you can get without using an external 6-pin power connector. Your computer does not have needed power connectors nor wattage to support a 6-pin. Also don't expect more powerful cards because you have a slightly older system with dual core CPU.
  2. Hard to tell exactly what's going on from your post, but I'm hearing you ask for the best graphics card upgrade to put in a desktop with:

Athlon 64 x2 6000+
    3 GB (DDR2?) RAM
    32 bit windows

In order to play SWTOR. What resolution do you want to play at?

Honestly, your CPU is not great either. I wouldn't recommend pairing an expensive graphics card with it. I'd recommend maybe the Radeon HD 6770. It's only about $100 and would probably pair OK with your system. Don't expect any miracles on that CPU, though.

Per your specific question, the 7800 would be a lot better than an 8400GS. You can check out the graphics card hierarchy here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

However, I'd recommend a more modern card. I'd guess the Radeon 6770 would run SWTOR fine.

:Edit: On a card like that, you'd be fine just using a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-e power connector, if your power supply doesn't have one. You can buy those adapters for a dollar or two if you don't have one.
  3. i dont much care entirly low is fine with me to be honest on all settings. and yeah its a DDR2. just trying to find something that will run SWTOR on with what i have but not make me have to fork over for a new computer. so really anything anything that will let me run with low-medium graphics on the game with what i have is what im looking for.
  4. also that wont make me have FPS lag which it runs about 1-2 currently worse in other areas. so anything that will push that up to like or between a 5-20 is totally good with me. let me run it till its time to up my computer
  5. and i currently only play at the like 1050x something resolution because it helps the fps a huge amount id prefer to play it on like 1280x1050 think thats what i had it originally
  6. HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f
    Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
    Processor: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
    RAM: 3 gigs
    Windows Vista home premium 32-bit operating system.
    current graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.
    Power supply: 300W
    Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
    1 PCI Express x1 slots
    2 PCI slot

think full specs you might need idk.
  7. you can get Decent FPS from shutting down all unneeded process like printer spool and i tunes also you may wanna go blow out the case and wash it out. Also get a AMD Radeon R7 250 off new egg
  8. I have the exact same pc
  9. Good news! After waiting nearly four years for another response, the OP finally has it! Now he can buy his gpu😃
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product