Sign in with
Your question

Ultra-Low Power PC

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 18, 2012 7:54:25 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking to build a new secondary PC soon which will be used as a home server/HTPC/general PC in the next 2-3 months. I know it's far off, but what I'm truly concerned about is minimizing the PC's power draw from the wall since I plan for it to be on 24/7/365.

Specifically, I'm looking for any information on the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs vs. AMD APUs in terms of power draw. I believe both can handle the 1920x1080 output for HD videos (not gaming - have my other PC for that). I think the most strenuous tasks would be video and tunneling in via network to do some minor coding (which the i3 I know can handle).

I don't think any of the Atoms/E-350s will get the job done, and I would like to reuse my i3 in my current PC once I upgrade it to a quad core. I've read Tom's Hardware's 25W PC using a previous generation i5, but I'm wondering if I can beat 25W ;)  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/25w-performance-pc,...

Thanks in advance for your articles/suggestions.

More about : ultra low power

April 19, 2012 1:14:19 AM

I would recommend sandy Celeron DC or Pentiums . The 65w versions are cheaper, and they rarely get anywhere near that. IF you want the 35w versions, then you'll have to pay extra.
m
l
!