Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading My Old Vet , Have Couple Questions

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 7:55:44 PM

Hi Guys,

I am planing to upgrade my desktop pc which has Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L mobo in it and Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (JM800QLU-2G) DDR2-800/PC-6400 ram on it. I am planing to add another same ram so it will be 2 +2 =4 gb total and a graphic card (mine is onboard)

My first question is i checked my mobo has 1 pci express x16 slot but after i checked newegg.com i am confused because there are 4 different x16 graphic card categories. PCI Express 3.0 x16 (91) PCI Express 2.1 x16 (172) PCI Express 2.0 x16 (335) PCI Express x16 (7)

What are those 3.0 , 2.1 , 2.0 and N/A mean? Does my mobo compatible with all of them?

Second question is i have $140 for graphic card and i have no idea about new tech. Could you please suggest me a graphic card at that range for gaming purpose? ( if you suggest more than 1 models i will be pleased because i have to check availability etc.)
I have Intex 450 Watt PSU i hope i won't need to change it :( 

And my last question about my ram. I checked pc wizard software to see what was my ram speed and i saw 400mhz however as i remembered it was ddr2 800 so i checked again manufacturer site and saw there is clock speed and ddr2 800 number. What is 800 means here? Because as i checked my mainboard spec it says Support for DDR2 800/667 MHz memory modules. Does that 800 mhz means clock speed of the ram or the number next to ram title like DDR2 800 (which is mine) ? If you can please explain with couple worlds what do these infos mean on ram spec:

Memory Type: 2 GB (8 x 128 MB) DDR2 DIMM
Memory Standard: DDR2-800/PC-6400
Compatible Device: PC
Pins: 240-pin
Burst Length: 4, 8
Buffered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Model ID: JM800QLU-2G
Memory
Memory Clock: 400 MHz
Technology: DDR2 SDRAM Memory
CAS Latency: 4, 5, 6
Power
Specified Voltage: 1.8 V

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2012 12:56:14 AM

As for your ram, the 400MHz is the ram speed, it is listed at 800 because it is DDR - Double Data Rate (2X400=800). If I read it correctly you only have 1 GB and want to upgrade to 2 GB? My recommendation would be to go up to 4 GB with 2 sticks of 2GB's That you can find here (http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_kw=KVR800D2N6%2F2G&_clu=2&_fc...) for about $40.
When it comes to the pci Express X16 video card you will only want to get one with the X16. You can get the 2.1/3.0 but you won't get the full use out of it but they WILL still work for you.
This EVGA 01G-P3-1302-LR GeForce 8400 GS 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card HERE-(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) Would be a nice card for you.

Or this MSI R4350-MD1GD3H/LP Radeon HD 4350 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card HERE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) for about $40

Not sure how much you want to spend or which games you want to play but these are decent cards. Sorry, for some reason I can't create links today so just copy the url address and past in your browser and check them for yourself and tell us what you think.
April 19, 2012 4:35:04 AM

Thanks for answer suteck. I indicated i have $140 for graphic card so aren't graphic cards you suggested so low for that budget? And also i want to upgrade it to 4 gb i have 2 gb right now. So i think you confused. Last think is i saw these rams G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246) do they compatible with my mobo? What is the clock speed of them? I am still confused what is 400 mhz and what is 800 mhz with my ram you are saying 400mhz is the ram speed its listed 800 because ddr (double data rate) so its working like 800mhz ? or what is the meaning of that? And is that speed so important for game performance? How about the volume of the ram against speed? Which one is more important?
Related resources
April 19, 2012 5:57:39 PM

Can somebody help about this please :(  I am going to buy these items and don't want to buy wrong items.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2012 7:21:49 PM

You can try that memory but it is not on the compatibility list that your motherboard supports, also, the clock speed is 1066 so it will be downclocked to 800, which is all your motherboard supports. This KVR800D2N6/2G you can look for and is supported by your motherboard and will give you the 4 GB's you're looking for. The memory works like this the
pc2 (- which usually denotes DDR2) 6400 is 400 MHz speed. It is listed as 800 because it is DDR or Double Data Rate so you double the speed @ 800 MHz
You also have pc2 5300 @533MHz clock speed at DDR2 of 1066 MHz speed which is the memory you linked to.
And last is the pc2 10600 @ 1333MHZ clock speed.
Now, the Qualified Vendors list has some of the faster memory listed but none of it has 2 GB sticks so you wouldn't be able to go above 2 GB's total. Plus, all of it will be downgraded to the 800MHz speed since that's all your motherboard can support so you won't be able to use the extra speed to make up for the lack of total available memory. Again, the memory you selected MIGHT work, but it will be downgraded in speed and you might have to go into bios and manually adjust some of the timings and voltage since it is 2.0/2.1 volts and you list your current memory as 1.8 volts - which is probably the default voltage setting. And going up on the voltage will usually cause and increase in the temps produced by your motherboard so make sure you have extra cooling fans. When it comes to determining which is better - fast speed or more memory, it will always be a combination of the two that is most beneficial. Some programs or games require only 1 or 1.5 gb's of memory to work properly. Usually as the newer games and programs come out they are requiring more memory, like 2 to 4 GB's of memory to work properly. Lots of people are now saying that the 8 GB's of memory is the recommended amount for playing the more modern games. You should be OK with 4 but at the slower speeds it will depend totally on which program or game you are wanting to play. Does that give you a better idea of what you're looking at?

I would recommend the SAPPHIRE 11202-05-20G Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. It calls for a minimum of 400 Watts and 1 - 6 pin power connector. What is the name and model number of you PSU? We would need to know this in order to be certain it can handle the extra power draw. I listed the less expensive cards because I don't know which psu you have and I totally missed the $140 you put up there, sorry. But to me, the rest of the system is of a slightly older manufacturing specs so I was trying to stay within those constraints. And I'm not totally familiar with your motherboard's in and outs so forgive me if I went a little on the low side.

Don't be in such a hurry. I know you can't wait to upgrade your system but let us help you get it done right the first time. That's why you came here right? Let us help but give us time cause rushing leads to mistakes.
!