Where should I put a desktop?

chuk15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
EDIT: My 'improved' battlestation: http://imgur.com/A13fn

Here's a picture of my "battlestation".
http://imgur.com/aLnHi

The laptop there is a 14incher.

Where should I put a desktop tower with adequate ventilation, and a good spot for low dust accumulation?

The place where my laptop is (1 of 2 identical desks) has dimension of 2.5ft lengthwise x 11inch depth (measuring from the start of the side panel) otherwise it's a 22inch depth x 18.5 inches vertically. A 24' monitor probably wouldn't even fit under that lip. I'm against putting the tower near the ground under my desk because of the dust down there, but it does have 2ft vertically.

I really have no clue where to put a tower due to limited space and probably inadequate ventilation if I were to put the tower where my laptop is. :*(

I want to game, yet I keep getting laughed at when I ask how much a gaming laptop is.

Solution

Like I mentioned if you got an HTPC case - you could either put it on the left side, or put it where your laptop is, and put the LCD screen on top of the HTPC case.

A midsize case should also work, either you would have to put it just left of the laptop and your screen to the right, or you could take out the middle shelf on the left and put the midsize case there. Are you able to take out the middle shelf on the left side (the bottom one)?

Not sure if a 24" would fit either. They are quite big, although by the looks of it, yea one...
Hello,

Well if you do get a desktop....clean up your desk! It looks really messy lol.

What you could do is put the desktop tower on your desk to the left of your laptop. I notice you have carpeting on your floor? Not good for desktops which is why I reccomend you putting it on your desk (once you clean it up).

You could even take out the middle shelf for more room. Get a mid-size ATX case and you should be good.

You could also go for a 21" or 22" widscreen LCD. Looks like it should fit where your laptop is.

Edit: You can also look into getting an HTPC case if you don't want to take out the middle shelf. I have the silverstone Grandia 05B and it sits flat unlike desktops.

jrpatton

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
When I was in a dorm, I removed a shelf from my desk to put my desktop there. (Like chainzsaw suggested). It doesn't look like you use the right shelf very much anyway. It'll make plenty of room for the tower and monitor.

If you're really worried about dust, cut out some dust screens and put them over your desktop's ventilation ports. Then clean those regularly.

Like I mentioned if you got an HTPC case - you could either put it on the left side, or put it where your laptop is, and put the LCD screen on top of the HTPC case.

A midsize case should also work, either you would have to put it just left of the laptop and your screen to the right, or you could take out the middle shelf on the left and put the midsize case there. Are you able to take out the middle shelf on the left side (the bottom one)?

Not sure if a 24" would fit either. They are quite big, although by the looks of it, yea one should fit though according to your dimensions.

Solution