Sign in with
Your question

My computer shut down with no warning

Last response: in Components
July 31, 2012 11:46:39 PM

So to sum up, I built my pc about a year ago....give or take a few months. Specs:

Intel I7 2600K
ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Mobo
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit
Rosewill PCI Express Revision 1.1 Wireless Adapter
Cooler Master 212+
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
LITE-ON Black Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo SATA Model ihes112-04 - OEM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
2x 120 mm excalibur fans and 2x 120mm case fans along with a front mounted lcd fan controller

It had been running great. I was running low on memory because I work a lot with large sound and video files so I purchased a Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive about 20 days ago and installed it. The pc still ran fine until this afternoon. It shut down with no warning and will not turn back on. There is no beeping sound when I try to power it back up. The fans begin to spin and the lights come on for about half of a second and then it just shuts back down and won't even start the fans again until I unplug the psu and plug it back in and the behavior repeats. There were no heat issues prior to it shutting off and there had been no abnormal behavior.

Can anyone help me solve the issue. After reading many of these articles I fear that it may be the Mobo or the Psu, but do not want to purchase anything before finding out the exact problem. I looked over the wiring and nothing appears to have come loose and there are no visual problems. Thank you so much in advance.

T

More about : computer shut warning

a c 76 ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 12:02:09 AM

You have it right, pretty much. It's either the PSU or the mobo. My first guess is the PSU, although, with that system, it never really should have been stressed much. TT PSU's aren't really known for being great quality units, though.

Do you have another PSU to test with in that system, or can you test the current PSU in another system?
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:08:39 AM

I hope that is the case. I cannot afford to lose all of my data or pay for another I7. I am going to test the psu on another machine tomorrow morning at the office. Is there a comparable psu that I should purchase that is of better quality if that turns out to be the problem. Also, if the psu is not the problem, how do I determine if the motherboard has shorted? Thanks so much.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 12:13:38 AM

Pretty much any 500-550W unit from SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, and PC Power & Cooling will be of much better quality and provide plenty of power for that system.

My own personal recommendation: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

To see if the mobo is the problem, you'll need another known good PSU to test with the current system, just to be sure.

Edit: Beyond that, there really isn't any other way to test it. You can "breadboard" it with everything installed outside the case, to take that out of the equation, but that's usually only a problem for new builds.

You can also try just taking out everything but the CPU and 1 stick of RAM to try it that way, as well. Again though, that applies more to new builds.
m
l
!