Sign in with
Your question

Advice.

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 9:38:18 PM

Hey guys,

My name is mikerroni and I'm a gamer. :)  Nuff said..

However, I could like to get back into PC gaming, not that there is anything wrong with Xbox 360; except I want to build a custom rig with plenty of power.

In all honesty, without soundling like a douche bag with more money than brains; and as if I am trying to brag (which I am not).
My budget for new custom desktop gaming PC is $ 2, 500.00 cash. This money does not include a monitor because I plan on using my Samsung LED 46' LED Series 6000 TV as my monitor.

So, where the much needed expert opinions come in is I have no idea what is high end, of the mid or low range for CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, etc.

To the best of my knowledge; I do believe I have selected a decent gaming pc from a reputable company here in Canada; however, I do not know the difference between components anymore? Nor have I followed this sort of trend in over 5 years since my last custom pc.. lol... Also, I am currently on a Dell studio XPS 1640, which I love but I can't help but feel like I would like a custom desktop PC, again, for gaming! :)  Bare in mind, the type of gaming I do is FPS, as I do not have the attention span to play anything but FPS.

What is the difference between i7-3820 and i7-2700K? I understand the main difference is 2 MB cache level but I am a gamer; never will I run some ridiculous program that requires extensive power to run; such as, photoshop, video editing, etc. (I am a terrible nub and only use computers for reading, researching, writing, and of course, pirating, video gaming and sometimes trolling the web). As you can clearly see; although 2500 dollars may be over kill for a PC, and I'm sure it is considering the mundane nature of my usage; however, I cannot help but want the best!

What's the difference between process (bare in mind Intel is preferred), mother boards running fancy processors, memory needed, video card for gaming?

I haven't the slighest idea and I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and any and all help with suggested reasonable parts for my new custom PC would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike H

More about : advice

April 19, 2012 1:24:37 AM

Thanks, will do shortly. Have to continue studying for final exams.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 4:58:41 AM

Good evening,

Approximate Purchase Date: On or before May 21, 2012.

Budget Range: $ 2,500.00

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies and my academics (reading, researching, writing, authoring).

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, monitor (although I am willing to spend extra on a potential monitor), or speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.memoryexpress.com - Calgary, AB

Country: No idea? Globalization>International Relations>Economics??

Parts Preferences: Processor - Intel i7 (price range, $ 275-350), mother board - a good one? (price range, $ 200-350), video card - Radeon 7970 (price range, $ 500, 650), memory - top quality16 gigs (price range, $200), HDD - 1 terabyte @ 7200 RPM SATA III w/ 32 or 64 meg cache; best of the best (price range, $ 150), optical drive (price range, $ 100), cooling unit - any (price range, $ 150), power supply - 850 watts of continuance power with high voltage; constant amperage (price range, $ 200), case - any but has to be plain, black and high gloss finish (no fancy gaming cases, something elegant) (Price range, $ 100-200), OS - Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional, OEM 64 bit (price range, $ 120-240?).

As you can see, I have a general idea of what I want to use for hardware, spend but everything else: power supply, second hard drive (SSD), optical drive, and case. I have no idea what I'm looking for or what size case will be needed to house this hardware.

Overclocking: (NOPE) - No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: (Unsure/what's this?) Yes / No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 - will be using my Samsung series 6000 46' LED TV.

Additional Comments: bare balls and all, I want something black, high glossy finish (case, optical drive, anything missing?), do not care about noise. I have speaker system: Bose companion III Series 2 - multimedia premium speak system (this is alright but my Z-5500 kicked the *** out of this pansy system!).

Although my budget is around $ 2, 500.00 dollars, comfortably, for my new potential desktop gaming PC. I would like to add that this does not mean I wish to spend my allotted budget of $ 2, 500.00 dollars. This is where the fine experts of this forum, I trust, will provide me with reasonable insight in my quest to increase my e-pen0s size, exponentially.
m
l
May 19, 2012 7:01:46 AM

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39366 - Asus G75VW

This is my new laptop. I waited for the launch of the 690 video card and said FORGET it once I looked at the price..... $1000 dollars, seriously?

So, I opted to purchase an ultra high end gaming laptop and this is what I found at memory express.

The total cost including shipping and taxes is $ 2, 215.69 but the unit it self is $ 2, 099.00

However, memory express in Calgary Canada will not physically have any of these Asus G75VW laptops in stock until around May 27th; which is what they told me. So I hope I will physically receive my new laptop on or before May 31st.

Some of the specs for this beast of a laptop are:

Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.3GHz)
Chipset Intel® HM77
Memory 16GB DDR3
16GB max
Display 17.3" FHD (1920x1080)
Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage 750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Optical Drive Blu-ray writer enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW
Card Reader 3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ MS/ MMC)

I'll be sure to do a review once I physically receive this laptop.. It's like christmas, except I'm a 28 year old man and just bought a new fancy pants PC, and my friends and family wonder why I don't own a car? Pfft... Who needs a car when I have a pretty bad ass laptop and extremely nice electronics!

mikerroni

PS: I do believe I made one hell of a good choice on this product. The specs are decent and from my understanding; this unit is brand new and probably damn near top of the line with exception to that one laptop I saw with the 675M video card.. Can't remember who it was who made that one?
m
l
!