18.2gig Fugistu SCA SCSI HD ASPI Question

G

Hi there. I have a interesting question. I have a 18.2gig Fugistu SCA Ultra 160 SCSI Harddrive, I have also purshased on of those SCS to 68pin converters that is suppose to support Ultra 160. I am running this off of a TekRam DC390U3W card. The problem I am having is that the card is only communicating with the Harddrive @ 40meg/sec, and the drive is able to run a Ultra 160. (160meg/sec).
I was wondering if anybody out there knows if you can us the ASPI drivers to set the transfer speed on the Harddrive so that the TekRam card will us it @ Ultra160.
Or is there some software out there that will let you do this. BTW I have flashed the SCSI Card to level 4.18 from TekRam, and the Harddrives firmware is at the lastest level as well.
Thanks for your help.

PS. I am using a Ultra160 cable, and it is terminated correctly.

cat-pete

G

Please note running in 160 mode will not improve performance really over 40. But.. I know what you are saying..

First make sure you are using the LVD twisted flat cable with a LVD active terminator on the last stub (I know you said you were.. just repeating it) and no other SE devices are on the same channel as the LVD drive. Check to make sure no jumpers are set on the drive to force it to operate in SE mode. You should also enter the bios of the card and set the parameters for that SCSI ID for 160.. I think default is 40 MB/s if you haven't changed this. (this may be all that's required if you haven't tried it). You can also tell it not to scan for other IDs to speed the bios boot.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

Problem is the SCA convertor is NOT LVD compatible....

Not many convertors are for LVD ...

G

How do you know that? Have you looked at the setup for all the above to eliminate all else but that? There are SCA adapters designed for LVD. I know.. because I've used them on several occasions.. with that exact SCSI controller.. and the drives DO work in LVD mode. So until the above are eliminated, you can not conclude that it is the adapter.. especially since the original post stated
"I have a 18.2gig Fugistu SCA Ultra 160 SCSI Harddrive, I have also purshased on of those SCS to 68pin converters that is suppose to support Ultra 160."

Let's try to give that the benefit of the doubt.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

Thanks Chord for the information. This is the only HD connected to the LVD Connector on the TekRam Card, also using the LVD Cable that came with it.
I found out something else about this harddrive, It was orginal used in a SUN SParc Station. I was searching there web site and came across something, they are limiting the transfer speed to 40meg / sec. For some reason. I was looking at the drive itself and it does not seem to have any jumpers that will allow you to set the transfer speed.
I also cannot find any Firmware upgrades or changes from Fijitsu that will let you do this.
I think I am stuck with this speed. Any thoughts. Thanks.

cat-pete

TRENDING THREADS