ME

Hi

4 years ago I bought a copy of Norton Ghost 2001. I used to use it to
make a restore copy of my boot partition. Today I needed to use it in
an emergency to make a copy of my boot partition in case I lost it in
the next move. I couldn't remember the method.

There are two options which seem the same. One is cloning partition to
partition (local) and the other is cloning partition to image (local).
I chose the former and happily didn't need it.

Does anybody know the right one?

Sorry if this is off topic, I couldn't find any suitable group.

Colin

Why not go to the "Symantec" site and check their knowledge base instead of
asking in a MS newsgroup? I bet you'll get a more accurate answer to boot!

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> 4 years ago I bought a copy of Norton Ghost 2001. I used to use it to
> make a restore copy of my boot partition. Today I needed to use it in
> an emergency to make a copy of my boot partition in case I lost it in
> the next move. I couldn't remember the method.
>
> There are two options which seem the same. One is cloning partition to
> partition (local) and the other is cloning partition to image (local).
> I chose the former and happily didn't need it.
>
> Does anybody know the right one?
>
> Sorry if this is off topic, I couldn't find any suitable group.
>
> Colin

If you HD is partitioned, then that is good. That gives you the option to
create an image of you C drive and store it on the D partition.

The option, Clone Partition to Partition means copying a Partition to
another partition, therefore the two partitions are identical (both are
intact completely). The option to clone a partition to an image means that
it will compress your entire partition (your C-Drive) into a single file.
This file can be copied to a DVD or stored on your D-Drive, if you wish.
You can view or extract parts of this image by using the Ghost Explorer. If
you format the C-Drive (because of some virus), you gives you can restore
your C-Partitions from that DVD (or D Drive) by restoring from the Image.

I hope this makes sense. Ghost is a very powerful tool. I use mine from a
disk, not the computer (while it is running). To me, it is much more
powerful that way. I put in a disk and boot from it. From there, you can
create and image or restore from an existing image. You choose if you are
working with the entire harddrive or just a partition, in each case.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:44:26 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>If you HD is partitioned, then that is good. That gives you the option to
>create an image of you C drive and store it on the D partition.
>
>The option, Clone Partition to Partition means copying a Partition to
>another partition, therefore the two partitions are identical (both are
>intact completely).

Do you mean that it would not save everything to a file, because it
did today.

The intention would be to use the result for restoring after a
problem. Would this give a bootable restore?

The option to clone a partition to an image means that
>it will compress your entire partition (your C-Drive) into a single file.

Isn't this so with the former method? Partition to partition produced
a file in a partition. Unfortunately it hit the 2Gb ceiling that I'd
completely forgotten about.

>This file can be copied to a DVD or stored on your D-Drive, if you wish.
>You can view or extract parts of this image by using the Ghost Explorer. If
>you format the C-Drive (because of some virus), you gives you can restore
>your C-Partitions from that DVD (or D Drive) by restoring from the Image.

I understand the word image. it is generally used to mean something
that can be restored in bootable condition. Norton seems to use to
mean something else. At the time (3 years ago) it was admitted that
the manual doesn't agree with the Ghost commands. Why can't they just
say something like "Partition to partition yields a file that can be
used to restore a bootable partition" or "partition to image yields a
precise copy of data but can't be used to restore to bootable
condition", or whatever the truth is.

>I hope this makes sense. Ghost is a very powerful tool. I use mine from a
>disk, not the computer (while it is running). To me, it is much more
>powerful that way. I put in a disk and boot from it. From there, you can
>create and image or restore from an existing image. You choose if you are
>working with the entire harddrive or just a partition, in each case.

Right at the end, this might be the crucial difference. Does on do
just the partition and the other do the entire physical drive?

Best wishes

Colin
><me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> 4 years ago I bought a copy of Norton Ghost 2001. I used to use it to
>> make a restore copy of my boot partition. Today I needed to use it in
>> an emergency to make a copy of my boot partition in case I lost it in
>> the next move. I couldn't remember the method.
>>
>> There are two options which seem the same. One is cloning partition to
>> partition (local) and the other is cloning partition to image (local).
>> I chose the former and happily didn't need it.
>>
>> Does anybody know the right one?
>>
>> Sorry if this is off topic, I couldn't find any suitable group.
>>
>> Colin

ME

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:49 -0500, "StringFellow Hawk"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Why not go to the "Symantec" site and check their knowledge base instead of
>asking in a MS newsgroup? I bet you'll get a more accurate answer to boot!

My search of all 60,000+ newsgroups offered by my ISP only produced
the antivirus Norton group which is not about Ghost. I did say that I
couldn't find one.

I hope that I have not upset anybody.

Best wishes

Colin

I didn't say a newsgroup - I said "site" as in www.symantec.com - they have
a free online knowledge base, and chat support. Also, if you click on the
"Help" tab once the software is installed, it too will give you a wealth of
information.

--

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:49 -0500, "StringFellow Hawk"
> <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Why not go to the "Symantec" site and check their knowledge base instead
of
> >asking in a MS newsgroup? I bet you'll get a more accurate answer to
boot!

> My search of all 60,000+ newsgroups offered by my ISP only produced
> the antivirus Norton group which is not about Ghost. I did say that I
> couldn't find one.
>
> I hope that I have not upset anybody.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Colin

Vlad

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:34:17 -0500, "StringFellow Hawk"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I didn't say a newsgroup - I said "site" as in www.symantec.com - they have
>a free online knowledge base, and chat support. Also, if you click on the
>"Help" tab once the software is installed, it too will give you a wealth of
>information.

I find this post well within the general theme of the group and I
welcome the knowledge we acquire by having this discussed here.

Why can't you just suggest that more information may be available at
www.symantec.com or just ignore it ?

Vlad

I don't recall Norton having the option to copy one partition to another
partition, but if it did, that would not imply one single file. It means to
me that the two partitions are identical.

What I remember is that Norton Ghost ask you if you want to Image a disk or
Image a partition. Either one you choose will created a single compressed
file with the file extension *.gho. Once you have this single image file,
you can restore to a disk or partition. Yes!, after the restore, the
partition can boot from. It is a perfect bit by bit copy.

I can't tell you any more.

"Colin Bearfield" <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> Right at the end, this might be the crucial difference. Does on do
> just the partition and the other do the entire physical drive?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Colin
> ><me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> 4 years ago I bought a copy of Norton Ghost 2001. I used to use it to
> >> make a restore copy of my boot partition. Today I needed to use it in
> >> an emergency to make a copy of my boot partition in case I lost it in
> >> the next move. I couldn't remember the method.
> >>
> >> There are two options which seem the same. One is cloning partition to
> >> partition (local) and the other is cloning partition to image (local).
> >> I chose the former and happily didn't need it.
> >>
> >> Does anybody know the right one?
> >>
> >> Sorry if this is off topic, I couldn't find any suitable group.

I did exactly that - the OP responded with he/she could not find a
"Symantec" newsgroup except anti-virus - I on the other hand made it plain
to the OP that I was not referring to a newsgroup, but a web site. Lastly,
your last remark normally is expounded by a "troll" trying to start a
"flame" war.

--

StringFellow Hawk