Do I need to use ALL Mobo standoffs?

eddieDOTexe

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
So I'm building a computer for a friend and I have a bit of a problem. The computer will freeze after a while and I'd get unexpected halts in MemTest. Once either of these things happen, my next attempt at booting up the PC is stood up by a cold boot giving me 4 long beeps which the motherboard(GA-MA790GP-UD4H) manual shows no record of existing. Eventually the system will boot up again but a freeze will occur after a while.

So I'm confident that this problem lies with either the CPU (AMD Phenom 940) or the Motherboard. I'm leaning toward the CPU. However, this case that I bought for this build did not come with sufficient risers for an ATX board. Only 5 out of 6 risers are available for me to use, and I don't have spares, so I put both risers up top, and bottom, and one in the middle closest to the center. The last hole (no standoff, obviously no screw either) without a standoff is to the west side of the board where the backpanel connections are. It's not touching the case, and far from it, just floating above, but could this one missing standoff be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance! And I'm glad to finally register here after years of simply browsing through on google searches for issues! Even though it may not be due to the greatest cause.

g-unit1111

Titan
A good rule of thumb is to use exactly six - four on the corners, one in the center, and one in either the top or bottom rows. You don't want to use too many more than that or run the risk of damaging your motherboard or getting a stuck screw - I've had both happen and it's not fun believe me.

Something could be interfering with your motherboard as well if it's POSTing and then subsequently freezing.

ram1009

Distinguished
You should use as many standoffs as you have holes for. That's what the holes are there for. The more standoffs the the more support and the less the board can flex. Flexing a circuit board of any type can break circuit traces. This is especially bad with multi layer boards with traces inside that you can't see. A stuck screw (whatever that is) could happen on the first or last screw you use so the only way to avoid it is to don't use any.

eddieDOTexe

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Well, it's Award BIOS so it's something with the memory from the looks of it. And allow me to correct myself and say that I am only using 5 out of 12 screw holes because this case only came with 5 standoffs and the entire east side of the board is just floating over the case. Odd, considering its an ATX case you'd think they'd include all standoffs needed as well as made sure the board panel expanded to an ATX board's width.

Anyway, I have some other ram sticks I'm swapping out to test with this build so we'll see how that goes

EDIT: oh look, I found a bag of plastic standoffs conveniently hidden behind my drive bays..

This is the part where I start feeling stupid, isn't it?

eddieDOTexe

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Well I placed those plastic standoffs on the right side of the board which the panel didn't reach and booted it up with the other ram sticks and I'm running memtest at the moment with no issues. But we'll see how this goes. I'll update if anything. Thanks for the help so far guys.

EDIT: turns out it was bad memory. Got it RMA'd, the replacement came last night and memtest shows no problems as of last night. Thanks a bunch to all of you for your help