Radeon 6850 Second Display only 1280x800

Status
Not open for further replies.

808mlee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hi:

Just got a radeon 6850 and running on win7 pro 64 bit. I have two 30 dell monitors. However in windows, the first display adapter will allow me to go to the highest resolution but the second display adapter only goes up to 1280x800. No good on my 30 inch monitors.

Is this a limitation with the card or am i doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Mark Lee

Solution
If you are connecting only two monitors which support DVI-d connection via mini-DP on the card you can achieve

Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display
However,you need the miniDP -to- DVI-d dual link passive adaptar.

For more than 2 monitors you need an active dual link adaptar.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

kevlarkev

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Test both monitors separately plugged in to make sure they both work, also, check that the monitors are set to default. Another method that has proved successful is using Windows display rather than CCC to setup the dual display.

You can use only the below methods for setting up multilple displays;
- Both DVI
- Top DVI and HDMI
- Bottom DVI and HDMI

All 3 cant be used as All 3 are to allow for different setups. For using a 3rd monitor or 4, you will need to use at least one display port on a split head.

jzilaiti

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I am using two 30 inch Samsung Syncmasters...both monitors can and do display 2560*1600 on a different computer.....but when I try using the Radeon 6850 with both DVI-D outputs, set up in either Windows Vista 32 or CCC will always limit the second monitor to 1280*800......I am not even given a choice higher than that when setting up the 2nd display.,....I have been trying to work with AMD but the response has been very slow and not at all helpful to this point.....

jzilaiti

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm just thinking.....I noticed the two DVI output connectors are different.....I am using DVI-D cables for both...Do I need a different cable other than DVI-D for the top output?...I believe this is the port always limiting my output resolution...

jzilaiti

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
After doing some research, I don't think this card is capable of displaying two monitors at 2560*1600 each.....although the top output port on the 6850 looks like a DVI-D dual, it is actually only a DVI-D single according to the spec sheet...I'm assuming the single just will not make the grade for 2560*1600.....and trying to use the mini displayport outputs [even with a dvi adapter] would limit the resolution to 1920*1080......

808mlee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Yes I also did the same research and found the exact same thing. One is dual line and the other is single and that limits the resolution. Pretty much sucks that I didn't know the difference before ordering. But at least now I know. The problem is, if you want a video card that does this, it takes both pci-e power connectors so you will need a very high end power supply (I think) to power it up.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

jzilaiti

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
tnx for the reply Mark...there is another route I am going to try but it will cost me an extra 120.00USD.....AMD tech swears the mini displayport will supply 2560*1600...So now the guy at StarTech.com claims their MDP2DVID USB powered adapter is going to solve this problem...read two reviews about it on NewEgg..both were terrible...but we'll see....StarTech said they will let me return it without a re-stock fee if it doesn't work for me....it's a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Active Adapter.....

jzilaiti

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
If you are connecting only two monitors which support DVI-d connection via mini-DP on the card you can achieve

Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display
However,you need the miniDP -to- DVI-d dual link passive adaptar.

For more than 2 monitors you need an active dual link adaptar.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Solution

808mlee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for all the follow up. I also tried to buy a display port to dvi adapter and it didn't work. It looks like the one you got actually feeds power through the adapter? I think that is the major problem. Needs power to display at high resolutions?

Thanks again.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.