Possible dead CPU or NB or MB...?

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Recently acquired a Gateway LX6810-01 through a friend and I'm working on figuring out why its dead. I bought it dirt cheap from him to hopefully fix for myself and keep. This series of model has a history of burning out since the computer came stock with the only fan being CPU fan, no case fans. So they would always overheat and shut down.

However my friend said one day he just shut it down and it never came back. I assume it has to do with a burnt out motherboard possible? He replaced the PSU with a quality Antec 550w one, so it's not a PSU issue.

That (at least in my inexperienced mind) has narrowed it down to either a burnt out CPU or a burnt out motherboard. Any idea on how best guess which it is? Or maybe it's both. But for now I would like to only sink money into replacing one of the parts, and if that fails ill get the other.

To summarize:
The computer shows no signs of life. No power, no lights, no fans. There are no LEDs either on the computer. The PSU is brand new. I assume it's either the motherboard or cpu?

Should I try and see if the CPU needs to be replaced first? Or the Motherboard?

Or another factor I haven't taken into account?

Any help would be awesome, im excited to hopefully get this computer up and running again!
Thanks

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Being a cheap and already dead system I'd take out the CPU and push the power button and see what happens. Some mobos won't do anything even without a CPU, but some will do a quick power up or even beep at you. If something happens you can assume is a CPU issue, if nothing happens then you're still 50%/50% as to which is causing the issue. Unless you get a new mobo or CPU to try you're not going to have much else in the way of options on that unfortunately.

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Im replacing the motherboard with the same model replacement part, however ill be adding more cooling to it than just the stock CPU fan.

Im just wondering, can a dead mobo be the cause of a completely lifeless computer? No fans, lights or anything? All through a dead mobo?

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Yes..Those are the symptoms of a dead mobo.If you have a molex/fan adapter..your could plug that in and see if a fan will spin to see if PSU still works.(at least on the 5v rail)

Maybe I'm missing something this early in the morning, but how would that work? If the mobo is dead then nothing is telling the PSU to power up...so still no fans. Or is there a trick I don't know about.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
You plug the fan+ molex adapter directly into the PSU.Do you have the power switch connected right?

I'm not the one asking for help, I'm just confused on what you're doing. I personally have 4 case fans plugged directly in to molex plugs from the PSU. It's still the case power button that runs thru the mobo that tells the PSU to boot up. So even directly connected to the PSU there is nothing telling the PSU to send out power and spin up the fans.

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I actually was wondering that as well. I had contemplated running down to my local computer store and buying a cheap molex fan, however I checked the PSU and it's an Antec Modular NeoPower 550 HE, and sure enough there are no modular molex cables, only SATA and one 6 pin GPU connection.

New motherboard I ordered will be here in about 4 days and Ill be hoping thats the primary issue!

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Im a moron. I unplugged the video card and the computer turns on. There is no onboard video though, so I can't tell if it 100% works, but it boots and gives me a POST beep.

Stupid. Attempting to cancel my motherboard order.

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I took the computer to my friend at a local computer store. He replaced the video card and sure enough it booted fine. The original GPU didn't require any dedicated 6 or 8 pin power cables from the PSU.

So this means Ill be attempting to return the motherboard that is currently being shipped, then awaiting the graphics card I just ordered this morning.

Thanks for the help