XBox Live the key

Halo 2 doubled XBox Live membership from 750,000 to 1.5M. The fact is,
Microsoft has been on the cutting edge of multiplayer gaming, and the stuff
they're doing with the X360 is catering to that strength. A six month
headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion, especially with XBox
Live Silver being FREE...

Jonah Falcon

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:33:41 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>A six month headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion, especially with XBox
>Live Silver being FREE...
>
>Jonah Falcon

I agree that Live is an integral selling point for the X360. I think
that it is now a 2-horse race between Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo
will always have a market but seeing the Revolution's E3 presentation
makes me feel less than optimistic about its future. I believe that
first-party/exclusive titles will be the key to becoming the market
leader. Microsoft and Sony have already made key moves in an attempt
to gain mind share for the next generation.

Microsoft has aggressively and successfully courted Japanese
developers for it's next-gen console. Square-Enix is a major coup for
Microsoft's console along with Mistwalker and Q
Entertainment/Phantagram Ltd. Microsoft has effectively put
themselves in a position to compete in the Japanese market.

Sony has put together an extremely powerful machine and seems to have
put together an online strategy of substance. Sony has effectively
shed the image of being underpowered.

Both systems will have a pretty good selection of what seems to be
good games at launch. Both systems have incredible amounts of
horsepower. Both systems look sexy and have plenty of multimedia
options. Sony has Blu-Ray, Microsoft has Tivo functionality. Sony
has 7 bluetooth controller connections, Microsoft has unrivaled
online/home-networking integration with an incredibly user-friendly,
gorgeous UI. Both systems have tons of 3rd party developer support.

I think that we will see aggressive marketing from both companies.
The quality of first-party exclusives will be a huge factor in
determining which console wins. I really hope that both companies are
hugely successful. If they both are, the gamer is the winner. There
will never be a loss of quality titles and price wars will make us,
the consumer, very happy. I am leaning towards the Xbox 360 but I
would like to thank Sony for making Microsoft work hard for my
hard-earned money. If it were not for the threat of Sony, I would not
have backward-compatibility, I would not have an upgradeable hard
drive and I would not have out-the-box wireless. PS3 purchasers, give
Microsoft a huge thanks for forcing Sony into creating a kick-ass
system.

We all win when Sony and Microsoft are at each others' throats!

SupaScape!

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Halo 2 doubled XBox Live membership from 750,000 to 1.5M. The fact is,
> Microsoft has been on the cutting edge of multiplayer gaming, and the
> stuff they're doing with the X360 is catering to that strength. A six
> month headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion, especially with
> XBox Live Silver being FREE...

You read wrong. its free... but only on the weekends

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> Halo 2 doubled XBox Live membership from 750,000 to 1.5M. The fact
is,
> Microsoft has been on the cutting edge of multiplayer gaming, and
the
> stuff they're doing with the X360 is catering to that strength. A
six
> month headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion, especially
> with XBox Live Silver being FREE...

So, something that apparently only interests 1.5 million people (out
of what, 20 million Xbox owners) is key to the next generation? I
don't think so. Even if it is free this time.

And it's not like Sony or Nintendo aren't supporting online play.
Heck, Nintendo might even make it completely free (wireless)

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>> Halo 2 doubled XBox Live membership from 750,000 to 1.5M. The fact
> is,
>> Microsoft has been on the cutting edge of multiplayer gaming, and
> the
>> stuff they're doing with the X360 is catering to that strength. A
> six
>> month headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion, especially
>> with XBox Live Silver being FREE...
>
> So, something that apparently only interests 1.5 million people (out
> of what, 20 million Xbox owners) is key to the next generation? I
> don't think so. Even if it is free this time.

For a comparison -- how many people own computers, and how many of them are
playing EQ 2?

Jonah Falcon

Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Halo 2 doubled XBox Live membership from 750,000 to 1.5M. The fact
is,
> > Microsoft has been on the cutting edge of multiplayer gaming, and
the
> > stuff they're doing with the X360 is catering to that strength. A
six
> > month headstart on other consoles and XBox Live devotion,
especially with
> > XBox Live Silver being FREE...
>
> You read wrong. its free... but only on the weekends

I think it is free but does not include multiplayer gaming ( *the*
reason to have Live) It might have a few "promotional" weekends where
the silver subscribers can log on to the xbox servers for some
multiplayer action.

The silver subscribers will not have to pay anything but will have
access to paid downloads etc. and they can also have their gamercards
uploaded. This is how I understood it.