XFX NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Problems

Chaos Water

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have an XFX NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card, I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I've been noticing some weird problems.

When I watch a Youtube video, the screen goes black for about 2 seconds, comes back on and displays that the driver has become unresponsive but has recovered, the video then strangely turns green.

Also when I'm playing a game, the textures are all messed up and I end up getting pixels flickering on the screen during gameplay or even after I've exited the game.

Sometimes I receive a BSOD, if the computer becomes unresponsive for to long, other times I'm able to access task manager to end the game.

Here's my computer specifications, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ 2.10GHz Processor, 2GB DDR2 677MHz RAM, 160GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive, Alpine 500W PSU (30A/+12V), LG DVD R/W Disc Drive, ASRock N68C-S UCC Motherboard, Hanns G HX191D 19" (1280X1024) at 60Hz (DVI) Monitor.

Nothing has been overclocked in the past, the GPU temperature reading in GPU-Z seem completely normal so it can't be an overheating issue. I've tried reseating the graphics card, and have unplugged the 24pin motherboard cable and made sure it's securely in place.

I've tried using Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 with the latest NVIDIA drivers and have the same issue, my operating system at the moment is Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Service Pack 1 which has all the latest Windows updates as well as the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I've seen other various people with the same kind of issues and they've suggested uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling them but I've tried that several times and have had no luck.

If any other information is required then please ask.

Chaos Water

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I've tried several different versions of drivers and it still didn't work, will RMA back to sender, but will mark the graphics card with a UV marker to make sure he doesn't send the same one back.

Chaos Water

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Found out it wasn't a faulty card, it wasn't getting enough power, I downloaded a free tool called MSI Afterburner and turned down all clocks to the lowest setting.

Since then I've had no game crashes and have managed to watch Youtube videos, when I have about £40-£50 I will get a good PSU.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

You're probably talking about model # GT-240X-YAFA. This card has numerous problems reported through Newegg reviews. These problems range from not being able to display the Windows screen to intermittent problems like the one you described. If you're turning down the clocks you're using a gimped GT 240, I don't know if you'd be comfortable with that.

4745454b

Titan
If you're turning down the clocks you're using a gimped GT 240, I don't know if you'd be comfortable with that.

Even at stock speeds the GT430 is slower then the GT240. Gaming performing wise the GT430 is like a GT220.

It could be a bad card, trying a different one and seeing if the problem goes away is always a good idea. I'm not sure if its a bad card or power like the OP thinks. It honestly could be one or the other.