Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Corsair vs XFX PSUs, who has the advantage?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 1, 2012 6:36:41 AM

I am a big fan of Corsair's products, but XFX's line of Pro series PSUs have made me look at the various options a little closer.

XFX offers quite a feature set over Corsair, but I don't have a ton of experience with PSUs, and I don't know if any of these mean something or if its just marketing terms.
Both Power Supplies I am looking at are rated for 1050w, are both 80 Plus Gold certified, both are standard ATX with single 12V Rails, and both are around the same price.

The Corsair HX1050 is Semi-Modular, the only non-modular cables being the 24 Pin, CPU 8 Pin, and the Two 6+2 PCI-E Pins (Perfect). The newer HX1050 updated at Computex is 80 Plus Gold Certified, the older model is only rated for 80 Plus Silver. The HX1050 also has a kick-ass 7 Year Warranty.


The XFX 1050w has a Full-Modular interface and is also 80 Plus Gold Certified. The XFX features a "Solid Link" design where the power from the PCB is transfered to the interface via Metal rods instead of regular cables, this supposedly helps with heat and efficiency. The XFX 1050w also features hybrid fan mode, where the fan will slow down and even stop spinning if the PSU load is low enough. The XFX features a still awesome 5 year warranty.

TL;DR how much of XFX's features is just marketing, and is there a definitive advantage to either the XFX or Corsair PSU?
a b ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 6:49:14 AM

What the corsair is:
Designed by CWT(designs a good nymber of psus for corsair)
12v rail actual max wattage is 1050w entirely
semi modular
feel free to look at some of the reviews
according to the site, its a discontinued series, so once the stock of the item goes away, the chance of the item restocking will be limited probably.

what the xfx is:
Designed by seasonic, a top tier psu maker, that also publicly makes it own lines of psus.
fully modular
12v rail is has a max of 1044w
feel free to look at reviews as well


professional reviews are probably more likely to sway your decision.
Score
0
August 1, 2012 6:54:50 AM

In this case, whichever one is cheaper, or whichever one has the correct number of cables that you need. Both of those are very high quality 80+ gold PSU's from well known major manufacturers, so you can't really go wrong with either one.

Just on a side note, what are you attempting to power with these?
Score
0
Related resources
August 1, 2012 6:57:09 AM

dudewitbow said:
What the corsair is:
Designed by CWT(designs a good nymber of psus for corsair)
12v rail actual max wattage is 1050w entirely
semi modular
feel free to look at some of the reviews
according to the site, its a discontinued series, so once the stock of the item goes away, the chance of the item restocking will be limited probably.

what the xfx is:
Designed by seasonic, a top tier psu maker, that also publicly makes it own lines of psus.
fully modular
12v rail is has a max of 1044w
feel free to look at reviews as well


professional reviews are probably more likely to sway your decision.


I will look at some reviews but the HX 1050 hasn't been discontinued, the 80 Plus Silver Model is being replaced by an 80 Plus Gold unit. Also never heard of the website you linked me, and it doen't look that respectable.

claysm said:
In this case, whichever one is cheaper, or whichever one has the correct number of cables that you need. Both of those are very high quality 80+ gold PSU's from well known major manufacturers, so you can't really go wrong with either one.

Just on a side note, what are you attempting to power with these?



Both have the same cables, same price, and I want a 1050W PSU to be future proof for over-clocking and upgrades like SLI and CrossfireX. I am not going to post exact hardware because I am tired of lectures about power usage.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 7:01:57 AM

SecretCobraz said:
I will look at some reviews but the HX 1050 hasn't been discontinued, the 80 Plus Silver Model is being replaced by an 80 Plus Gold unit. Also never heard of the website you linked me, and it doen't look that respectable.




Both have the same cables, same price, and I want a 1050W PSU to be future proof for over-clocking and upgrades like SLI and CrossfireX. I am not going to post exact hardware because I am tired of lectures about power usage.



realhardtechx doesnt make reviews of their own. all they do is post reviews from reputable psu reviewers on one site, and categorize them by psu model and by companies giving a bit of back info on who designed the psu and on the bottom, when the review was posted. the site is generally updated(as I went to go read the reviews on rosewills fortress lineup, which are brand new psus on rosewills end)
Score
0
August 1, 2012 7:03:41 AM

Unless you have two GTX 690's you don't need 1050w. Period. A quality TX 750 will be very serviceable for a long time yet. Doesn't matter if you OC or stuff in two cards. Most GPU's just don't guzzle that much power anymore. But if you want to waste your money go for the Corsair AX series.
Score
0
August 1, 2012 7:04:48 AM

SecretCobraz said:
I am not going to post exact hardware because I am tired of lectures about power usage.


I was just curious :p . I has already assumed that if you were spending that much, you new what you were doing.
Score
0
August 1, 2012 7:27:48 AM

claysm said:
I was just curious :p . I has already assumed that if you were spending that much, you new what you were doing.


I appreciate that and you have my respect, I am currently in the process of a separate build, with an i5-3570k and Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe sitting on my table, might post it when it's done. I think I might go with the Corsair, just because it looks cleaner IMO and Corsair has always had great quality, well that and a 7-freaking-year warranty.

Here are the current specs for my new personal rig.

650D
i7-3770k
GPU TBD
Asus Maximus V Extreme
Corsair Force GS 240gb
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb (2X8GB)
And various other components

Also it's going to be a hackintosh running OSX and Windows, I just prefer OSX for regular computing and work.


And here is exactly what I am talking about, this guy needs to take his lecture and GTFO


Smeg45 said:
Unless you have two GTX 690's you don't need 1050w. Period. A quality TX 750 will be very serviceable for a long time yet. Doesn't matter if you OC or stuff in two cards. Most GPU's just don't guzzle that much power anymore. But if you want to waste your money go for the Corsair AX series.

Score
0
a c 87 ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 9:49:47 PM

The new HX1050 actually has a semi-fanless feature as well; the fan starts up at about 20%. Whereas the XFX (Seasonic Platinum platform) starts up at about 30% load (IIRC). The only other difference is that with the XFX unit you can choose whether it is semi-fanless or not (there is a switch on the back of the PSU).

Solid Link is just XFX's name for a Seasonic technology that is available in other Seasonic and Seasonic X series/Platinum series based PSUs.
I think some other manufacturers have come up with their own version of this technology, but Seasonic have a patent on their particular implementation, so these other manufacturers have to make theirs significantly different.

Personally I think that you'd need to add two GTX 660s to start to draw anywhere near 500W...
Score
0
February 7, 2013 5:06:33 AM

Well I bought the new solidlink xfx pro 1250 to find out I had nothing but problems with it, These problems are that what you would be thinking would never happen and it is when you connect from the PSU to the motherboard I needed to mess about moving the connection cable so that power would go through to the motherboard and for a company that has claimed so much about this power supply unit and the cost of it it is a bit of a joke. I will say that only one good thing about this unlt is "everything is so simple to cinect" pitty it takes a lot of messing about moving the cables to get it to power up...........
Score
0
!