Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2012 7:42:25 AM

Hello everyone,
I have again run into a dilemma, and have a question that you genious' can hopefully answer (I'm still new to computer science). I have an Asus M4A87TD mobo and it has 2 PCI 2.0 express slots for gpu's but it isn't corssfire or sli supported. I personally don't understand the point of the extra slot if you can't do it, but I'd thought I'd check first. Could I buy another GTS450 and link it with SLI? Or even if I don't link it will I see a performance boost and let it take care of physX or something?

More about : sli crossfire

a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2012 8:02:25 AM

It was probably designed with physx in mind, but it's really not worth it.

There are other pci-e addon cards like ssds, soundcards, etc that would utilize that spot. But no you cannot CF or SLI on that board.
February 11, 2012 8:02:31 AM

You can crossfire on your mobo (crossfire/SLI ready tag is just a marketing gimmick).

The only problem that you will encounter was best described by serge44

'2. I would get a MB that can at least run them on 8x8.. 16x4 will definitely limit the bandwith for the one running on 4x, while 8x wouldn't be a problem. It's not that anything bad is going to happen, it's just that you wouldn't be getting all the juice out of your second card as you should. '

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295285-30-m4a87td-cro... (link to the above article)

Also the difference in your mobo, with it's 16x and 4x PCI-E, and a mobo with 2 16x slots is demonstrated here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling...

I hope that answers your question.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2012 8:14:06 AM

It appears I am mistaken about multi gpu setups on that board. Though i'd like to point out in yamman101's link, they did testing with gtx 570s in that post. A gts450 would not be bottlenecked by a pci-e 2.0 x4 slot.
February 11, 2012 8:26:20 AM

Very true, and something I did overlook.

Thank you for pointing that out lucuis.
February 11, 2012 10:26:12 AM

ok fair enough, I'll stick to getting a new GTX580 :) 
!