Tags:
  • Gtx
  • EVGA
  • CPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 1, 2012 7:36:01 AM

Hello, I have a hp pavilion p6-2133w with a AMD Quad-Core A6-3620...I installed a EVGA gtx 550Ti to use instead of the APU integrated GPU. Can I buy a CPU to replace my currently locked APU? I plan on buying a EVGA GTX 570 in the near future...I need to know if that is a bad idea without replacing anything else or perhaps a little info would be awesome.

More about : replace apu cpu

a c 100 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:14:06 PM

Socket FM1 is APUs only for the most part. AMD did release a couple of Athlon II models on Socket FM1, they are Llano APUs with the integrated graphics core disabled. None of them are all that fast. On your platform your best performing CPU option would be the A8 3870k. It's an APU, but it does have an unlocked multiplier to better facilitate overclocking. If you get a decent overclock on that, it should be okay for a GTX 570.

If you want anything better than that, you'll have to get a new motherboard. Socket FM1 has virtually no upgrade path aside from a better APU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:15:40 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Socket FM1 is APUs only for the most part. AMD did release a couple of Athlon II models on Socket FM1, they are Llano APUs with the integrated graphics core disabled. None of them are all that fast. On your platform your best performing CPU option would be the A8 3870k. It's an APU, but it does have an unlocked multiplier to better facilitate overclocking. If you get a decent overclock on that, it should be okay for a GTX 570.

If you want anything better than that, you'll have to get a new motherboard. Socket FM1 has virtually no upgrade path aside from a better APU.

It has an upgrade path for future CPUs....
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:16:53 PM

No it doesn't, FM1 is a dead end socket. Trinity is going to be on a new socket, FM2. FM2 will not be backward compatible with FM1. Piledriver is going to be on AM3+. There aren't too many options for the OP without a new motherboard.
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:21:32 PM

That means socket FM1 was a waste.....
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:25:40 PM

That it was. Llano on desktop was kind of a waste anyway, you could get better performance with a cheaper CPU and a discrete GPU for the same price of the APU anyway. Llano made more sense on budget laptops, where the better IGP was more important than CPU performance, and upgrade paths aren't as much of an issue.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 4:32:01 PM

they do make a cpu without the graphics on it but if you're thinking of putting a discreet graphics card in it may auto disable the onboard video. if not it should be attainable in the BIOS.
m
l
August 1, 2012 9:12:13 PM

I think I will try the A8 3870k with my gtx 570 soon ....What I have now is good but struggles on gta IV which I hate. I would like to buy a new motherboard and new cpu that is pretty popular and well known to be a great buy.....What is the most common type of cpu socket and cpu that can provide great performance for gaming
m
l
August 1, 2012 9:12:34 PM

Can Someone recommend a good cpu and motherboard combo that would be pretty awesome?
m
l

Best solution

August 1, 2012 11:34:26 PM

You could go with an A8 3870k, however, your performance will not be that drastic. A8 3870k's do not overclock that well to notice a major difference. I mean if you're really going to spend 120 on a new processor(it's around there I believe). Why not go with 555 BE and a new board that is SLI capable? Are you considering running 550TI with 570 in sli or a physix card? To my knowledge I have not heard of an SLI capable FM1 board. If that's not the case then I wouldn't worry about the A8 3870k because very few HP branded motherboards allow you to overclock without having a hacked bios. You will gain very little by spending a lot. If you can handle it I'd suggest getting a motherboard that can fit your case am3+ with an am3 black edition 555 or a Quadcore BE or 1155 z68 area. You'll end up spending 120 dollars or so on a8-3870k and an I3 is much better for gaming(if paired with 550ti or 570gtx) than an a8 3870k. Yes it will be about 80 dollars more to get the motherboard if you get an i3, however you have pci x 16 3 compatibility and an I3 will perform far greater than any other processor in its price range. So you'll have forward capability if you do upgrade your processor, you'll be able to have an am3+ (which you can get pretty decent ones for 70 to 90) or 1155 with an i3 will give you much more headroom to upgrade the processor at a later date. SLI and Crossfire capability, as well as an extreme improvement in performance over a 3870k. You essentially are going to end up buying a 3850 with a 100mhz overclock, since chances are, you won't be able to overclock on an HP tagged board.
Here is a comparison sheet from AnandTech for the a8 3850 and I3 2100
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=289
Yes 3870k is 100mhz faster, but the cheapest I3 gen 2 on new egg is also 200mhz faster than the 2100, that is the 2120
Hope this helps.
August 1, 2012 11:36:31 PM

xbob627 said:
Can Someone recommend a good cpu and motherboard combo that would be pretty awesome?

How much are you looking to spend? Is this for gaming, video editing, or compiling source codes? Do you plan on overclocking? Are you looking for a good price performance, or are you looking to go all out and have a very high end system?
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:43:07 PM

Wjmurray said:
How much are you looking to spend? Is this for gaming, video editing, or compiling source codes? Do you plan on overclocking? Are you looking for a good price performance, or are you looking to go all out and have a very high end system?

Ok well u have givin me some things to consider but I dont plan on using sli in my configuration....a new motherboard and cpu with card might be the best option......going to think about it.... I was thinking of spending 450 on additional upgrades....the video card, the apu,fan controller, and a few other things I need as well.
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:51:35 PM

Well fan controllers are nice, however with a very nice case you'll have plenty of airflow you shouldn't need a fan controller. I'm guessing you aren't totally tech savvy. A lot of things you can learn, so I am assuming you aren't aiming for overclocking. I'd heavily suggest the I3 with a z68, however with the processor, motherboard and card, that alone will exceed your budget. I'll throw a few suggestive builds. Do you prefer Nvidia or AMD? If it doesn't matter it'll help me to know, so I can help you further.
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:53:49 PM

Also, can you tell me more specs of your current system, such as what power supply are you using?
m
l
August 2, 2012 12:52:22 AM

Wjmurray said:
Also, can you tell me more specs of your current system, such as what power supply are you using?

:o  I have a lot of knowledge for fixing basic crap that goes wrong in the OS but fail when it comes to rig building......I have a Bitfenix shinobi case,CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 power supply, Evga GTX 550Ti 2gb card, and the system itself is nearly stock.....I would like to overclock some.... the standard pc specs are :

AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 accelerated processor
2.20GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

2 1TB SATA hard drives

SuperMulti DVD burner

AMD Radeon HD 6530D integrated graphics
With up to 4089MB total available graphics memory

m
l
August 2, 2012 1:44:56 AM

xbob627 said:
:o  I have a lot of knowledge for fixing basic crap that goes wrong in the OS but fail when it comes to rig building......I have a Bitfenix shinobi case,CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 power supply, Evga GTX 550Ti 2gb card, and the system itself is nearly stock.....I would like to overclock some.... the standard pc specs are :

AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 accelerated processor
2.20GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

2 1TB SATA hard drives

SuperMulti DVD burner

AMD Radeon HD 6530D integrated graphics
With up to 4089MB total available graphics memory

Okay, you really have a few choices. I'll just tell you what I'd get if I were you.

I3 2120 $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory and motherboard combo $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

With these three items, you'll be looking at 250 price, so that leaves you with 200 in spending power, you can spend a little more and get yourself a radeon 7870 or gtx 570 and sell your old card. OR put that i3 out of your mind and go with an i5 2500k (roughly 200) that would leave you with 110 in your pocket, for a solid state, a different psu(your psu is just fine for a single gpu card such as gtx 570 or radeon 7870), you can get your fan controllers, if I were you I would get a nice heatsink if you go with i5 2500k, so you can overclock the processor(many upon many well written tutorials out there) and I3 is sufficient for most gaming, but if you have the cash, getting an I5 doesn't hurt too much price for performance wise.

I5 2500k $220

Coolmaster Hyper 212 plus $20
Grabbing some arctic 5 silver at around 5 dollars is a very good investment as well.

So I5 set up, 385, leaves you with 65 to spend on other things you want/need
an I3 set up, 250, leaves you with 200 to spend on other things, such as ssd, or throw in another 50ish and get a 7870.

That being said, if you get a new motherboard and cpu, you won't be able to budget a much better card than a 550ti. But my point in short, an I3 is more than sufficient enough for games and light multi tasking at the moment. The I5 will allow amazing overclocks, it would probably be the best value of the upgrade you're looking into. So I think I've explained it well. I'd go with the I3 for a gaming pc. Because basically, you'll be asking yourself "is it time to upgrade" within 3-5 years most likely, so spend 120 or 220 on your processor. the I5 will give your rig a longer gaming life, but lets say 3-5 years from now theres gen 5 I3 for 120. The way processors have been progressing, the gen 5 I3 will perform better than the i5 2500k, example being, Core 2 Quad q6600, launched in 07 retailing at 270 vs the i3 530 launched in 2010 retailing at 120. The I3 performs a little a little better than the q6600 for less than half the price. You kind of understand my theory then? They've been doing this for a long time, people just seem to think they need balls to the wall systems. Usually don't
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:49:07 AM

xbob627 said:
How about trying to find a motherboard to support this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can get an am3+ board and gamble if piledriver will be worth it, or just get an I3, the I3 vastly outperforms the 965 in most applications. Going the I3 route, you have the option to grab an i5 or i7 if you so wish later. Sadly going am3+ won't promise you'll see i5/i7 performance.
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:51:48 AM

hmmmmmm...Let me take a look at what you put up :) 
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:09:19 AM

What do u have?
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:43:22 AM

xbob627 said:
What do u have?

A few posts up I wrote quite a bit about it. Hope what I wrote you makes sense so you can make your best decision.
m
l
August 3, 2012 6:44:07 AM

Best answer selected by Xbob627.
m
l
!