Need advice on an Ivy-Bridge Based system build

Rameyuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hello, I'm planning to build a new computer sometime on August this year for multipurpose uses: I already have some draft guidelines on the system components but I still need what everyone else thinks and some questions that I have as well:

CPU : Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
Mainboard : Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM : 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz (4x 8GB)
GPU : nVidia GeForce 670 (non-Ti) 2GB / 4GB if available. (Just one, no SLI)
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 64 MB Cache SATA III (6 Gbps)
APU : Asus Xonar Essence STX
Heatsink : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Monitor : Dell ST2320L, 23" LED 1920x1080 @60Hz
Keyboard : Logitech G510
Mouse : Logitech G500
Mousepad : Razer Vespula
Headset : Sennheiser PC 360

Is that all okay? Note that I'm not going to overclock anything at all. Everything will be running at stock.

My questions are:

1. Since this motherboard has a USB 3.0 front header, what case should I get that has a USB 3.0 on the front, and also to fit all those components no problem. Non-gaming style of case is preferable, because I don't want people to see that I have a hardcore gaming system. But I want people to see it as something simple like an Office CPU yet packs quite a punch. With suffecient ventilation holes of course.

2. Do I really need a RAM cooler? Even though I'm not overclocking anything.

3. What PSU should I get and at what wattage should I need to run this system. The cheaper is preferable, since I don't have anymore budget to spare after all that components. Or a case+PSU bundle is even more preferable.

I live in Indonesia where it's usually hot. But even though the room I'm going to put this computer in will be air conditioned, it's not exactly cold in itself, just somewhere around 20-25 degrees celcius. Also, it'll take some time for components to arrive at Indonesian markets which is why even though I know that Ivy Bridge and Kepler based components gets released on April-May in US, I'm guessing they'll arrive in July-August. Plus, I need more time to save my salary for this. Total budget should be no more than 2000 USD.

keep in mind that win7home will only do 16GB. If you want to do 32GB then you will need Win7pro.

The rest of the build looks pretty solid. Perhaps add an aftermarket cooler, but that is not necessary unless OCing.

You do not need a ram cooler or heat spreader, but as most good ram comes with one then just leave it on there.

When the final GTX670 cards are released then go to nVidias website and get a PSU that matches their suggestions.

sorry, I am no help with USB3 cases.

Rameyuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Ohh, don't worry. I already have a Windows 7 Ultimate ready to boot when this system is up and running and all works well from the BIOS. About the cooler, the Heatsink I put is already an Aftermarket cooler. My bad, I should've said "Cooler" instead of "Heatsink"

I just hope none of these components bottleneck each other. Do they?

Rameyuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Running Photoshop CS6 (upcoming) for game texture modding, with 3DS Max for 3D modelling and rendering, at the same time with playing games to check on if the model and texture is working well at the same time. Well, I don't actually "need" 32 GB.. I just "want" 32 GB. You know, to fill the DIMM slots.

I was initially planned to use the Asus P8H77-M LE motherboard with only 2 DIMMs, that should be enough to give me just 16 GB of RAM. But Asus doesn't sell that motherboard in my country, so I'm settling with the next best thing. The Sabertooth Z77. And it has 4 DIMMs, so might as well fill them up.

vinzrox

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
For the case with USB 3.0 i will suggest a corsair 400R or 500R whichever u feel like though 500R is preferred bt its not much of a diff in both..

for CPU cooler instead of air cooler go with liquid cooler such as corsair h50 or h80 etc as ivy bridge are said to run hotter..

for PSU u can go for any 800W unit it will be more then enough for non sli rig.

and if u just wana fill up dimms just get 4X4 Gb ram kit and get 16gb and save money rather than going for 32 gb as 8gb is more than enough and 32gb is an overkill :)

even m waiting for i7-3770k for my rig hope it come soon as the rest of the parts i have already brought .. good luck mate :)

g-unit1111

Titan
1. If you can get a different motherboard I'd definitely suggest doing so - I am *NOT* a fan of the Asus plastic cover motherboard design that the Sabertooth Z77 and P67 designs use.

2. What is the sound card needed for? Most sound cards haven't been needed since the mid 90's.

Good deal pointing that out. A lot of people miss that. :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise 4 GB 192 GB

Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

Windows 7 Starter 2 GB N/A

Rameyuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
For the case with USB 3.0 i will suggest a corsair 400R or 500R whichever u feel like though 500R is preferred bt its not much of a diff in both..
Corsair cases are a little expensive. I was looking for a USB 3.0 case that's under $50. But I actually found NZXT Tempest 210 for $70. I think it's allright for me, considering it looks kinda cool, yet lots of holes in it for good airflow. And one USB 3.0 at the front bay.

After looking at some nVidia GTX 670 price rumours, 399 bucks is a little too much on my budget. so I'm going for the cheaper GTX 660 Ti instead for around $250. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

About the PSU, since GTX 560 Ti has a minimum PSU of 500W, I'm sure GTX 660 Ti will have a lower power needs due to Kepler architecture, so I'm willing to bet that I'll stick with a 500W power supply. And I still want to have it below $50. There's a Venomrx 500W Atrox GS Single Rail for $40. But there's also CORSAIR 500W CMPSU-500CXV2EU Builder Series for $55. I think I'm willing to spend that extra $5 on a Corsair, but what do you guys think? Is it enough to power everything?

1. If you can get a different motherboard I'd definitely suggest doing so - I am *NOT* a fan of the Asus plastic cover motherboard design that the Sabertooth Z77 and P67 designs use.

2. What is the sound card needed for? Most sound cards haven't been needed since the mid 90's.
I'm a fan of ASUS from its easy BIOS interface and build quality. I was going for the cheapest Asus H77-M LE with 2 DIMMs. But they're not available in Indonesia. So I went with sabertooth for it's neat covers and good airflow.

About the sound card, I'm an audiophile and I want to experience the best in Audio quality and clarity. Asus Xonar Essence STX is an audio card with the best SNR (signal to noise ratio) and a built-in headphone amplifier specifically desinged for headphone/headset users. And the Dolby Headphone system allows the computer to simulate surround sound on just a stereo/2-channel headphone. Something that would make games feel more alive and realistic. On-board audio processing unit will not generate the best sounds. And my $200 headset will compliment the audio card well.

and if u just wana fill up dimms just get 4X4 Gb ram kit and get 16gb and save money rather than going for 32 gb as 8gb is more than enough and 32gb is an overkill :)
It is a sound logic and a wise advice, but when a motherboard and processor can handle 32 GB, That's what I'll feed them. Just a personal preference. Who knows, maybe I'll need that much in the near future, and I won't need to upgrade anymore.