mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hello,
I built a new PC in december 2011, it was on a budget but it still should bottle neck so easily.

Its components are:
i3 2100
XFX 6770
Gskill 8gb 1333
OCZ 500W
Foxconn H67 MB
320gb 160gb HDD

Windows 7 pro

it bottlenecks when Im using google crome itunes youtube what ever else im doing.

How can i improve the performance e.g. do i need to upgrade my cpu? or graphics card?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 217926

The slowest parts of your computer are the hard drives. The CPU is fine and so is the graphics card at least for gaming at lower resolutions. Also how fast is your internet connection? What you are calling "bottlenecks" do not really sound like bottlenecking to me. Sounds like you have a slow internet connection or slow hard drives.

Are all your drivers up to date?

get new hdd's seriously and make sure all drivers are installed and that you fitted the hsf correctly (stop throttling etc)

multiple antivirus products also hang systems and constant daily scans also do that

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I did a test yesterday on my internet speed and my download is 12.8mbs and upload is 0.8 mbs.

Okay then i might not be bottlenecking but it sort of freazes/jumps around for a bit, if i have music playing it starts to lag and blur.

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I thought i was solid enough when i was buying the components

the word bottleneck is not the word your looking for. but if things are freezing/lagging, you have a problem with something. The specs of your system are fast enough to do what your asking, it sounds like you may have a virus or something, or one of your components is faulty, or even overheating. first thing to do is to get HWmonitor to monitor your cpu/gpu temperatures , if something is overheating you need to find out why. maybe you havn't attached the cpu heatsink properly. Make sure you have windows updated and the latest AMD video drivers installed. Once thats done if its still not right, get some diagnostic tools - Memtest86+ to test ram, download the hard drive diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer and run that. You have lots to do, so get cracking!

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

The i3 2100 comes with preapplied heatsink paste stuff.

the pc runs well with games, its just when multiple things happen at the same time.

i scan my computer regularly for viruses and havent detected anything.

amd drivers are upto date.

i will try the tests later when im home.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
What anti virus programs are you using?

You should monitor your cpu/memory usages through the task manager during the occurances and see if they are acting irregular.

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Avast is my anti virus software

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

thats good to have for live anti virus

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware and Spybot Search & Destroy as well

I run Avast and those 2 programs and they all find stuff the others don't so they are all jewels to have to keep your pc clean :)

Windows start button --> 'resource monitor' in search box, click to launch.

When your system start lagging look at graphs in resource monitor tabs. Are your CPUs spiking at 100% In the disk tab, what are the service times for your disk IO? What are the queue depths ? In memory, what is the hard fault rate.

You system is stuttering. Find out why.

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I didnt get a chance to investigate my pc yesterday due to being busy with work. But if find the cause how would i fix it e.g. would i have to buy a new processor?

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

are you shore that installing multiple antivirus software is a good idea? only ask because i have heard they tend to be the reason why most pcs are slow

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Yes some programs are system killers like Norton Antivirus by itself. The 3 programs I listed do different functions so they all work together and use VERY VERY little resources.

Basically the only program that will be running all the time is the Avast and then you will manually have to run Spybot and Malwarebytes for them to operate so that also keeps the resource usage extremely low.

The Malwarebytes is for malware
The Spybot Search & Destroy is for spyware and other things
The Avast is for Anti Virus

All 3 find things eachother don't so they are good to have to make sure you got everything.

I recommend this setup to everyone with a pc that doesn't want to have to waste $100 on a weak AV.

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i will install them later when i get home

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

O'dear, from what i see it looks bad, but i don't understand it!

i can see "processes" say CPU usage 30% and to the right of that it has Maximum Frequency which says 99%. "services" is currently using 0%

"memory" say its using 24% with 6000mb free.

"disk" keeps changing from 0 to 210KB/s.

I dont know what any of this means but CPU being at 99% cant be good!

Please let me know if this is wrong? and how to repair/stop it!

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

i have installed all of them and deleted all the bad stuff, i hope this makes a different
Thanks

D

Deleted member 217926

Deleted what "bad stuff"? Did the programs find malware on your computer? If so what? Some kinds of malware need special removal so I hope you googled anything that showed up. Malware/spyware very much can slow down your computer.

No, once you find the cause you typically just need to upgrade whatever is slowing you down.

For example, if you are paging like crazy add memory or get a faster disk.

If you have a software program driving the CPU to 100% then reinstall it, upgrade it, get rid of it. etc.

Actually this is OK.

The CPU usage is how often the CPU is busy. 30% is fine.
Maximum frequency is how fast the CPU is working when it is busy. 99% says you have your power options set to max performance.
Disk from 0 to 210K is not bad or good. What were the service time? It will be in units of 'MS' in one of the columns. High double digits or worse is bad.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
BTW you can invest $20 into a lifetime license from Malwarebytes Antimalware which includes real time protection modules so it + avast keep your system secure while you browse.

mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

That's not a bad price I will have look!

If I bought a ssd as my main drive for my operating software would this increase the speed of it loading application? And would I have to buy windows 7 pro again?