Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why does my pc bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 19, 2012 7:20:32 AM

Hello,
I built a new PC in december 2011, it was on a budget but it still should bottle neck so easily.

Its components are:
i3 2100
XFX 6770
Gskill 8gb 1333
OCZ 500W
Foxconn H67 MB
320gb 160gb HDD

Windows 7 pro

it bottlenecks when Im using google crome itunes youtube what ever else im doing.

How can i improve the performance e.g. do i need to upgrade my cpu? or graphics card?

Thanks

More about : bottleneck

April 19, 2012 7:50:03 AM

The slowest parts of your computer are the hard drives. The CPU is fine and so is the graphics card at least for gaming at lower resolutions. Also how fast is your internet connection? What you are calling "bottlenecks" do not really sound like bottlenecking to me. Sounds like you have a slow internet connection or slow hard drives.

Are all your drivers up to date?
April 19, 2012 7:59:08 AM

get new hdd's seriously and make sure all drivers are installed and that you fitted the hsf correctly (stop throttling etc)

multiple antivirus products also hang systems and constant daily scans also do that
Related resources
April 19, 2012 8:21:51 AM

bottleneck when you using google chrome..?

how..?

your configuration seems solid enough for me..
April 19, 2012 9:49:10 AM

anort3 said:
The slowest parts of your computer are the hard drives. The CPU is fine and so is the graphics card at least for gaming at lower resolutions. Also how fast is your internet connection? What you are calling "bottlenecks" do not really sound like bottlenecking to me. Sounds like you have a slow internet connection or slow hard drives.

Are all your drivers up to date?


I did a test yesterday on my internet speed and my download is 12.8mbs and upload is 0.8 mbs.

Okay then i might not be bottlenecking but it sort of freazes/jumps around for a bit, if i have music playing it starts to lag and blur.
April 19, 2012 10:21:58 AM

Quaddro said:
bottleneck when you using google chrome..?

how..?

your configuration seems solid enough for me..


I thought i was solid enough when i was buying the components
April 19, 2012 10:25:28 AM

the word bottleneck is not the word your looking for. but if things are freezing/lagging, you have a problem with something. The specs of your system are fast enough to do what your asking, it sounds like you may have a virus or something, or one of your components is faulty, or even overheating. first thing to do is to get HWmonitor to monitor your cpu/gpu temperatures , if something is overheating you need to find out why. maybe you havn't attached the cpu heatsink properly. Make sure you have windows updated and the latest AMD video drivers installed. Once thats done if its still not right, get some diagnostic tools - Memtest86+ to test ram, download the hard drive diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer and run that. You have lots to do, so get cracking!
April 19, 2012 11:25:31 AM

so if i buy a new hdd or ssd and use it as my main drive will i need to buy windows 7 again?
April 19, 2012 11:28:34 AM

as far as i am aware all my drivers are upto date, but how do i makesure they are?
April 19, 2012 11:34:35 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
the word bottleneck is not the word your looking for. but if things are freezing/lagging, you have a problem with something. The specs of your system are fast enough to do what your asking, it sounds like you may have a virus or something, or one of your components is faulty, or even overheating. first thing to do is to get HWmonitor to monitor your cpu/gpu temperatures , if something is overheating you need to find out why. maybe you havn't attached the cpu heatsink properly. Make sure you have windows updated and the latest AMD video drivers installed. Once thats done if its still not right, get some diagnostic tools - Memtest86+ to test ram, download the hard drive diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer and run that. You have lots to do, so get cracking!


The i3 2100 comes with preapplied heatsink paste stuff.

the pc runs well with games, its just when multiple things happen at the same time.

i scan my computer regularly for viruses and havent detected anything.

amd drivers are upto date.

i will try the tests later when im home.
April 19, 2012 12:01:15 PM

What anti virus programs are you using?

You should monitor your cpu/memory usages through the task manager during the occurances and see if they are acting irregular.
April 19, 2012 12:06:08 PM

akamrcrack said:
What anti virus programs are you using?

You should monitor your cpu/memory usages through the task manager during the occurances and see if they are acting irregular.


Avast is my anti virus software
April 19, 2012 5:24:04 PM

mjwhelan said:
Avast is my anti virus software


thats good to have for live anti virus

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware and Spybot Search & Destroy as well

I run Avast and those 2 programs and they all find stuff the others don't so they are all jewels to have to keep your pc clean :) 
April 20, 2012 12:47:14 AM

Windows start button --> 'resource monitor' in search box, click to launch.

When your system start lagging look at graphs in resource monitor tabs. Are your CPUs spiking at 100% In the disk tab, what are the service times for your disk IO? What are the queue depths ? In memory, what is the hard fault rate.

You system is stuttering. Find out why.
April 20, 2012 11:13:06 AM

tsnor said:
Windows start button --> 'resource monitor' in search box, click to launch.

When your system start lagging look at graphs in resource monitor tabs. Are your CPUs spiking at 100% In the disk tab, what are the service times for your disk IO? What are the queue depths ? In memory, what is the hard fault rate.

You system is stuttering. Find out why.


I didnt get a chance to investigate my pc yesterday due to being busy with work. But if find the cause how would i fix it e.g. would i have to buy a new processor?
April 20, 2012 11:14:47 AM

akamrcrack said:
thats good to have for live anti virus

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware and Spybot Search & Destroy as well

I run Avast and those 2 programs and they all find stuff the others don't so they are all jewels to have to keep your pc clean :) 


are you shore that installing multiple antivirus software is a good idea? only ask because i have heard they tend to be the reason why most pcs are slow
April 20, 2012 11:23:35 AM

mjwhelan said:
are you shore that installing multiple antivirus software is a good idea? only ask because i have heard they tend to be the reason why most pcs are slow


Yes some programs are system killers like Norton Antivirus by itself. The 3 programs I listed do different functions so they all work together and use VERY VERY little resources.

Basically the only program that will be running all the time is the Avast and then you will manually have to run Spybot and Malwarebytes for them to operate so that also keeps the resource usage extremely low.

The Malwarebytes is for malware
The Spybot Search & Destroy is for spyware and other things
The Avast is for Anti Virus

All 3 find things eachother don't so they are good to have to make sure you got everything.

I recommend this setup to everyone with a pc that doesn't want to have to waste $100 on a weak AV.
April 20, 2012 12:17:05 PM

akamrcrack said:
Yes some programs are system killers like Norton Antivirus by itself. The 3 programs I listed do different functions so they all work together and use VERY VERY little resources.

Basically the only program that will be running all the time is the Avast and then you will manually have to run Spybot and Malwarebytes for them to operate so that also keeps the resource usage extremely low.

The Malwarebytes is for malware
The Spybot Search & Destroy is for spyware and other things
The Avast is for Anti Virus

All 3 find things eachother don't so they are good to have to make sure you got everything.

I recommend this setup to everyone with a pc that doesn't want to have to waste $100 on a weak AV.


Thanks for clearing that up for me, i will install them later when i get home
April 20, 2012 4:09:16 PM

tsnor said:
Windows start button --> 'resource monitor' in search box, click to launch.

When your system start lagging look at graphs in resource monitor tabs. Are your CPUs spiking at 100% In the disk tab, what are the service times for your disk IO? What are the queue depths ? In memory, what is the hard fault rate.

You system is stuttering. Find out why.


O'dear, from what i see it looks bad, but i don't understand it!

i can see "processes" say CPU usage 30% and to the right of that it has Maximum Frequency which says 99%. "services" is currently using 0%

"memory" say its using 24% with 6000mb free.

"disk" keeps changing from 0 to 210KB/s.

I dont know what any of this means but CPU being at 99% cant be good!

Please let me know if this is wrong? and how to repair/stop it!
April 20, 2012 4:26:07 PM

akamrcrack said:
Yes some programs are system killers like Norton Antivirus by itself. The 3 programs I listed do different functions so they all work together and use VERY VERY little resources.

Basically the only program that will be running all the time is the Avast and then you will manually have to run Spybot and Malwarebytes for them to operate so that also keeps the resource usage extremely low.

The Malwarebytes is for malware
The Spybot Search & Destroy is for spyware and other things
The Avast is for Anti Virus

All 3 find things eachother don't so they are good to have to make sure you got everything.

I recommend this setup to everyone with a pc that doesn't want to have to waste $100 on a weak AV.


i have installed all of them and deleted all the bad stuff, i hope this makes a different
Thanks
April 20, 2012 5:23:03 PM

mjwhelan said:
i have installed all of them and deleted all the bad stuff, i hope this makes a different
Thanks



Deleted what "bad stuff"? Did the programs find malware on your computer? If so what? Some kinds of malware need special removal so I hope you googled anything that showed up. Malware/spyware very much can slow down your computer.
April 20, 2012 8:52:55 PM

mjwhelan said:
I didnt get a chance to investigate my pc yesterday due to being busy with work. But if find the cause how would i fix it e.g. would i have to buy a new processor?


No, once you find the cause you typically just need to upgrade whatever is slowing you down.

For example, if you are paging like crazy add memory or get a faster disk.

If you have a software program driving the CPU to 100% then reinstall it, upgrade it, get rid of it. etc.
April 20, 2012 8:56:30 PM

mjwhelan said:
O'dear, from what i see it looks bad, but i don't understand it!

i can see "processes" say CPU usage 30% and to the right of that it has Maximum Frequency which says 99%. "services" is currently using 0%

"memory" say its using 24% with 6000mb free.

"disk" keeps changing from 0 to 210KB/s.

I dont know what any of this means but CPU being at 99% cant be good!

Please let me know if this is wrong? and how to repair/stop it!



Actually this is OK.

The CPU usage is how often the CPU is busy. 30% is fine.
Maximum frequency is how fast the CPU is working when it is busy. 99% says you have your power options set to max performance.
Disk from 0 to 210K is not bad or good. What were the service time? It will be in units of 'MS' in one of the columns. High double digits or worse is bad.
April 21, 2012 3:02:33 AM

BTW you can invest $20 into a lifetime license from Malwarebytes Antimalware which includes real time protection modules so it + avast keep your system secure while you browse.
April 21, 2012 7:26:26 AM

akamrcrack said:
BTW you can invest $20 into a lifetime license from Malwarebytes Antimalware which includes real time protection modules so it + avast keep your system secure while you browse.


That's not a bad price I will have look!

If I bought a ssd as my main drive for my operating software would this increase the speed of it loading application? And would I have to buy windows 7 pro again?
April 21, 2012 10:03:02 AM

mjwhelan said:
That's not a bad price I will have look!

If I bought a ssd as my main drive for my operating software would this increase the speed of it loading application? And would I have to buy windows 7 pro again?


If you have the cd + cd key you won't need to rebuy the OS.

Yes if you got a Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 (60gb/64gb) and put your OS on it you would see a VERY noticable increase in speed.

I own a Crucial M4 and I can tell you that it is well worth the money. Very stable and reliable Marvell controller makes it plug and play.


If you do get a SSD, go over this link and do #1 to make sure your set to AHCI mode and then do the rest (some you may not need to do or want to do) after you setup the SSD.

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...

With that link I shrunk my OS on my SSD from 30GB to 12.5gb/15gb depending on what all I did on that link.

!