User Management Question

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have a "User" management question that I cannot find the answer to:

I have one user login whose name is "Admin" - and another user login
whose name is "Bob".
Currently, both users have Administration Rights - and when I view their
profiles in the <My Computer\Manage\Local Users and Groups\Users> page -
both the "Name" and "Full Name" fields display "Admin" and "Bob"
respectively.

So it looks like this:

Name | Full Name | Description
Admin Admin
Bob Bob

For the past year, and for reasons that are too complicated to describe
here, I have primarily used the "Admin" login for my general computing -
and my "Bob" account for administration purposes. My goal is to
flip-flop these user names. Now, I want my general computing login to be
"Bob" and my administration login to be "Admin" - but I have spent so
much time customizing the software, documents and settings in my "Admin"
account that I need to retain all those settings after I change the name
to "Bob". The same goes for the current "Bob" account; I want all the
software, documents and settings to remain intact after I change the
name to "Admin".

So, I basically want to rename "Admin" to "Bob" --- and "Bob" to
"Admin". I have gone into the User Control Panel and used the name
change feature and this is what I have found:

1. It does change the login name - but it only changes the "Full Name"
field in the <My Computer\Manage\Local Users and Groups\Users> page --
not the "Name" field.
2. Surprisingly, it does not affect the names of the "Admin" or "Bob"
folders in the <C:Documents and Settings> folder. I would have thought
that the account name and the <Documents and Settings> folder had to
match so that they could be linked together. I don't understand how
these folders are linked and why the names don't change when you change
the user name.

You could imagine that this would become very complicated. My account
names and <C:Documents and Settings> folders would never match.

So, the question is: How do I change "Admin" to "Bob" and "Bob" to
"Admin" -- and have the "Admin" and "Bob" folder names in the
<C:Documents and Settings> folder change accordingly so that I don't
drive myself crazy trying to remember which folder is linked to which
user. I'm just not sure I can just rename those folders without doing
irreparable harm to Sharing and Security Permission settings - as well
as however they are linked to the User Account names.

___________________________________

Also, here is an unrelated question:
When you establish a XP User Account, you are asked if you want your
files to remain private. Assuming you have selected this option when you
setup the account - how do you make them Un-Private at a later time?

Thanks very much for your feedback

Answered in windowsxp.basics. If you need to post to different groups, please cross post in the same message.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"stevems@stevems.com" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message news:OPN39ajyEHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> setup the account - how do you make them Un-Private at a later time?
>

> Thanks very much for your feedback

"stevems@stevems.com" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> I have a "User" management question that I cannot find the answer to:
>
> I have one user login whose name is "Admin" - and another user login
> whose name is "Bob".
> Currently, both users have Administration Rights - and when I view their
> profiles in the <My Computer\Manage\Local Users and Groups\Users> page -
> both the "Name" and "Full Name" fields display "Admin" and "Bob"
> respectively.
>
> So it looks like this:
>
> Name | Full Name | Description
> Admin Admin
> Bob Bob
>
> For the past year, and for reasons that are too complicated to describe
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........