Sign in with
Your question

Help with bottleneck problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2012 10:53:32 AM

I just got the new radeon 7970, and i love the performance. The only bad part is that my cpu is so far behind ( as in old technology) that I have major bottleneck issues.
Can someone tell me how to make the graphics card do some of the processing for my cpu.

More about : bottleneck problem

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 11:00:08 AM

ihatehismap said:
I just got the new radeon 7970, and i love the performance. The only bad part is that my cpu is so far behind ( as in old technology) that I have major bottleneck issues.
Can someone tell me how to make the graphics card do some of the processing for my cpu.

No because it dosent work like that.

The statement that you love the performance but you have a major bottleneck is an oxymoron. You cant get both.
This suggests that your either over guessing how bad the CPU is or you had a really bad GPU in the first place.

The best you can do if make the card do as much work as possible to try and slow it down a little.
It sound stupid I grant you but it may be possible to increase your FPS a little as the aggregate result of the GPU working slower with the CPU working a little better will give you better performance.

Why not tell us what CPU you have and what kind of FPS you are getting in what games and we can go from there.
It may be that its not as bad as you think and the above wont be relevant or effective for you.
It only really works with a severely restricted system.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
February 11, 2012 11:25:31 AM

mactronix said:
No because it dosent work like that.

The statement that you love the performance but you have a major bottleneck is an oxymoron. You cant get both.
This suggests that your either over guessing how bad the CPU is or you had a really bad GPU in the first place.

The best you can do if make the card do as much work as possible to try and slow it down a little.
It sound stupid I grant you but it may be possible to increase your FPS a little as the aggregate result of the GPU working slower with the CPU working a little better will give you better performance.

Why not tell us what CPU you have and what kind of FPS you are getting in what games and we can go from there.
It may be that its not as bad as you think and the above wont be relevant or effective for you.
It only really works with a severely restricted system.

my cpu is intel core 2 duo 2.13 GHz
in crysis 2 i get about 25 frames and even lower in battlefield 3
and when i said i love the performance i meant on applications that barely use the cpu
m
l
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 11:41:36 AM

Ahh that explains it,

Set the highest resolution you can, with as much detail as possible on the 7970, that's every thing to max quality. Settings like triple buffering will also give the card more to do but im not sure if its going to make the difference needed in this case.

Over clocking the CPU would obviously be a great Idea but realistically you would want a better CPU all together, your options there would depend on which model CPU's in the range your motherboards supports..

I realise that Its a little late now but it would probably have been a better more effective upgrade to buy a weaker Graphics card and upgrade the CPU.

Can you try the suggestions above and post back please ? If it works great if not well then we need to look at a CPU upgrade
Either way it will provide useful info for others who find themselves in the same situation.

m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 11:55:17 AM

Go with the highest resolution possible, highest quality possible and overclock your CPU.
m
l
February 11, 2012 11:59:23 AM

I have been running all my games maxed out and my CPU can't overclock. I think it might be a good idea to get a new cpu, what cpu would work well and not give too much bottleneck problems, and by the way you have been a big help thanks.
m
l
February 11, 2012 12:16:54 PM

how dose this processor perform compared to an i5, because i might be willing to instead get a new motherboard and an i5 if it has similar performance.
m
l
February 11, 2012 12:44:55 PM

do you think the price of a sandy bridge i5 will drop a lot when ivy bridge comes out in march.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 1:28:16 PM

Well I don't think so it's going to be quick, it maybe needs 2-3 months...
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 1:32:23 PM

The upgrade to an I5 system would be by far the best bet for you.

m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 1:43:41 PM

I have an other idea if you don't mind overclocking, you can even get an i3-2100 with H67/H61 Motherboard. Tom's hardware finds out that there will not be bottlenecks when with i3-2100 used with 7970. Read it up here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Well at least the i3-2100 gives an acceptable performance, sure i5 would be faster but i3 will still be acceptable with 7970. For a short term upgrade I think it'd be fine. After, you build a new powerful ivy bridge system when you have the money, you can nicely put your 7970 there :) .
m
l
February 12, 2012 11:34:25 AM

What chip set would be good if i were using an i5.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2012 11:41:11 AM

P67 or Z68 especially the 'K' version, at least H67 for non-Ks
m
l
!