Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Conservative vs. Liberal Brain

Last response: in News & Leisure
April 13, 2011 1:57:01 AM

A few days ago I happened across this interesting story about how the brain structure of conservatives and liberals differs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2011/04/08/...

To sum it up, conservatives tend to have a larger amygdala, the part of the brain that processes fear. Liberals on the other hand tend to have a larger anterior cingulate cortex, the area of the brain that deals with conflict and uncertainty.

The researchers theorized:
Quote:
The difference in brain structure could explain some of the traits that distinguish conservatives and liberals, researchers said. People with larger amygdalas tend to respond with more aggression in situations where they feel threatened and are more sensitive to fear and disgust.

People with larger ACCs tend to be better at tolerating uncertainty--a reason why they often accept more liberal views, researchers told LiveScience.

I haven't read the whole study (I'm not paying for access to some journal hogging website for one article), but I'm pretty sure the authors aren't saying that we are born with a predisposed ideology or political affiliation. From my point of view (a political scientist, btw), I fall along the lines that our ideology and political preferences fall within the nurture category of the nature vs. nurture debate. We acquire or ideas through life from countless sources, i.e. parents, friends, school, media, etc... In turn, I believe the brain changes somewhat (the brain is rather "elastic" to a degree) to account for these beliefs in the proper areas. It's kind of like looking at a top notch baseball players brain before he started playing baseball, but then 15 years down the road, his brain may have changed in areas as a means of assisting in hand-eye coordination and such.

What do you guys think?
April 13, 2011 11:44:48 AM

buwish said:

The researchers theorized:
Quote:
The difference in brain structure could explain some of the traits that distinguish conservatives and liberals, researchers said. People with larger amygdalas tend to respond with more aggression in situations where they feel threatened and are more sensitive to fear and disgust.

People with larger ACCs tend to be better at tolerating uncertainty--a reason why they often accept more liberal views, researchers told LiveScience.

I think a group of liberal researchers were confused about cause and effect:
April 13, 2011 2:26:12 PM

I think some liberal researchers got a little too stoned when coming up with that thesis.

So does this mean conservatives are better drinkers?
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The amygdala appears to play a role in binge drinking, being damaged by repeated episodes of intoxication and withdrawal. Alcoholism is associated with dampened activation in brain networks responsible for emotional processing, including the amygdala. Protein kinase C-epsilon in the amygdala appears to be critical for the development of high ethanol intake.

Related resources
April 13, 2011 10:09:02 PM

Interesting.

I knew we were born to think and process certain ways, and that the brain could alter itself. I did not know, however, that politics was part of the brain.
April 14, 2011 2:38:13 AM

Quote:
politics was part of the brain

It isn't. Your brain adapts/reacts to situations and concepts differently and that affects which political systems you tend towards.
April 14, 2011 4:10:05 AM

What I was trying to imply was that the joke of we humans are built to be political.
April 14, 2011 5:15:08 AM

I'm rude, crude and socially unacceptable, and politically uncorrect, and a truck driving conservative who lives near politicians b.s. central, and would like to introduce the politicians to the hood of my truck. I guess my brain is normal for someone who doesn't give a rats behind about the idiots in that freakin town I was born in.

Wow it felt good to let that out.

Anyone care for a beer?
April 14, 2011 5:36:31 AM

A dude sits and drinks tea
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
A group of guys ask him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For democrats"
They put down his pants, spank him, spill his tea
He sits and drinks tea again
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
Another group asks him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For republicans"
Knock knock on the door
He puts down his pants, spills his tea, opens the door
A neighbor came to drink tea
April 14, 2011 12:22:12 PM

yyk71200 said:
A dude sits and drinks tea
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
A group of guys ask him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For democrats"
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
Another group asks him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For republicans"
Knock knock on the door
He puts down his pants, spills his tea, opens the door
A neighbor came to drink tea

ooooooook
April 14, 2011 12:22:38 PM

kg4icg said:
I'm rude, crude and socially unacceptable, and politically uncorrect, and a truck driving conservative who lives near politicians b.s. central, and would like to introduce the politicians to the hood of my truck. I guess my brain is normal for someone who doesn't give a rats behind about the idiots in that freakin town I was born in.

Anyone care for a beer?

/has a couple with kg ...

:) 
April 14, 2011 12:26:01 PM

yyk is from another dimension.

If I could get Drasheck back here he would understand.

I'll see If I can entice him with "celebrity status" ...

:) 
April 15, 2011 11:42:16 AM

Dr Thomas Stewart Von Drashek ... a much admired and feared legendary figure of myth and technical wizzardry ...

Upset him at your peril for he can strip paint with type ...

If you have not heard of him, Mad Mike, Charlie, Nick, Fuad .... hell ... where do I start??
April 15, 2011 1:38:45 PM

Nope, I guess I am still to new to the Forum.
April 15, 2011 7:28:25 PM

kg4icg said:
I guess my brain is normal for someone who doesn't give a rats behind about the idiots in that freakin town I was born in.

Anyone care for a beer?

That's the truth! I feel the same way. I despise where I live and currently am looking for any way out. It's not so much due to politics or anything like that, even though it is a very conservative small town and I think in an exact opposite matter.
April 15, 2011 8:49:10 PM

You should really move then bu. That's one of the freedoms we still enjoy, for now. Vote with your feet. It's not as hard as you think, don't be afraid.
April 16, 2011 8:42:34 AM

Afraid isn't the issue, as I'll take the first ticket out. Trouble is finding a job anywhere else. I could kill two birds with one stone by winning the lotto though. :D 
April 16, 2011 5:06:31 PM

What skills do you have? Anything IT Security related? GE is building a office/plant outside of Richmond, VA. 200 jobs starting around $90-100,000. Just hit the local papers a few days ago.
April 17, 2011 8:29:30 PM

My skills range: I can do anything from budget projections to filling pot holes. ;) 
April 19, 2011 1:11:56 PM

Unfortunately for you, if you look at the top 10 red and top 10 blue states with the most unemployment, the unemployment rates are significantly higher in the blue states.
April 19, 2011 1:49:14 PM

That's is possibly because of more manufacturing jobs there.
April 19, 2011 1:56:07 PM

Bu I have found the perfect job for you ...

Roof Bolter in a Coal mine ...

Pay is excellent I believe ...

Man those coal miners are tough ...

April 19, 2011 6:43:09 PM

And dirty...

Well, still having an intellectual battle where I am at. Can't seem to get anyone to come together and fix the problems we have.

Some say we need to end our wars and defund the military, others say doing so will harm America...that our allies are leaving us and we are all alone.

Some say we should not regulate as it will harm the economy and business, while others say that regualtion makes operations cheaper.

I'm sorry, but both sides are dumb. Get a life you two and fix this country. You are hurting my family...the People of the United States.

April 19, 2011 7:01:29 PM

Regulation, hmmm. The problem is the definition of "Regulation" has been changed over the years to mean to completely control. The definiton of regulation in the Queen's English is "to make regular" as in "uninterrupted". Take The Interstate Commerce Clause. Elitist control freaks take that to mean the government can control every aspect of interstate commerce or anything they deem to be interstate commerce, i.e. Healthcare. That is not what that clause means. It was designed to prevent say, Virginia charging New Jersey an import tax for all goods coming from that state but not charging North Carolina the same tax. That is an interruption in commerce and the Feds step in to rectify. Not, the Feds step in a get to decide which goods, how much, and at what price, and how often.

Very different definition indeed when looked at that way; the way our founders understood the definition of "regulate".
April 19, 2011 10:29:37 PM

My definition of regulation, is an : Overseen operation where the people observe the system of operation so that there is greater efficiency and products to deliver while developing a smoother approach to business.

Basically, have the people of the United States oversee operations, rather than government operations. This is where to people can foresee trouble and report it to the courts.

It will also allow business of any size to work and coexist without any economic interference. I am no supporter of government control. Just look how they handle tax payer dollars.
April 20, 2011 1:45:07 AM

I don't mind Conservative/Republican. But I do mind the whole fear part of the brain making the decisions.
April 20, 2011 12:20:44 PM

gamer, if you think the Commerce Clause has been twisted into unbelievability, look at "militia" in the Second Amendment.

And the sad thing is that we know exactly what the framers had in mind. "The Federalist Papers" documents the public debate in almost mind numbing detail.
April 20, 2011 12:23:55 PM

jsc said:
gamer, if you think the Commerce Clause has been twisted into unbelievability, look at "militia" in the Second Amendment.

And the sad thing is that we know exactly what the framers had in mind. "The Federalist Papers" documents the public debate in almost mind numbing detail.

Glenn Beck has hired an entire staff to re-write the Federalist Papers in todays English and is going to publish and distribute it for free. Hopefully, it will help the debate on exactly what is the function of government in the US.
April 20, 2011 1:57:27 PM

^ You know, he is human. He could have changed the meanings around...heck I know some liberals who do it all the time.

I really do not trust Glenn Beck on any issues.
April 20, 2011 2:04:44 PM

That's why he hired a STAFF of historians and writers. He's not doing it personally.

I didn't trust him at first either. But, you can't deny his track record. Everything he has predicted over the past few years has come true or is coming true now.
April 20, 2011 2:22:23 PM

Everything, really? Glenn Beck is delusional if you spout enough rhetoric youre going to get one right now and then.
April 20, 2011 2:24:27 PM

Careful mingo. Be specific here. Can you be?

Take your time and do your research. Link to your sources.
April 20, 2011 2:55:25 PM

bah you and your logic.
April 20, 2011 3:24:47 PM

In 2005 Beck said, "When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." - Yeah thats a real cool thing to say to anyone about 9/11

In 2005 Beck said, "I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it." - Real grownup

Quote:
"The government is trying to now close the Lincoln Memorial for any kind of large gatherings."
Glenn Beck on Monday, June 28th, 2010 in comments on his radio program

Quote:
And it started small, and it started with seemingly innocent ideas. And then a little court order here, and a court order there and a little regulation here and a little more regulation there. And before we knew it, America had slavery.

He makes anti semitic comments every other day.

I dont think theres going to be an Egyptian Caliphate here anytime soon. But time will tell on that.

Comparing Van Jones to Bill Ayers - For "indoctrinating" our children to be green. Apples and Oranges.

Glenn Beck is a nutjob.
April 20, 2011 3:26:59 PM

Gold closed at $1,502/ounce yesterday. When Glenn was telling people to buy gold when it was $600/ounce he was called crazy, a scam artist, etc.

When he told people to prepare for inflation, spiking food and fuel prices he was called a fear mongerer. Well, have you seen the price of food and gas lately?

When he predicted the unrest in Tunisia would spread to the rest of the middle east he was called a nut job. Ahem! Seen the news lately? Need I go on?
April 20, 2011 3:37:44 PM

wanamingo said:
In 2005 Beck said, "When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." - Yeah thats a real cool thing to say to anyone about 9/11

Completely out of context and has nothing to do with his predictions.

In 2005 Beck said, "I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it." - Real grownup

Completely out of context and has nothing to do with his predictions.

Quote:
"The government is trying to now close the Lincoln Memorial for any kind of large gatherings."
Glenn Beck on Monday, June 28th, 2010 in comments on his radio program

The National Park service did try to do this and has nothing to do with his predictions.

Quote:
And it started small, and it started with seemingly innocent ideas. And then a little court order here, and a court order there and a little regulation here and a little more regulation there. And before we knew it, America had slavery.

Completely true and has nothing to do with his predictions.

He makes anti semitic comments every other day.

Absolutely not true. I listen to his show every day while at work, all 3 hours. This is just patently untrue. He is one the biggest supporters of Israel.

I dont think theres going to be an Egyptian Caliphate here anytime soon. But time will tell on that.

But you do acknowledge that is the goal, yes? Why is he a nutjob for pointing out the truth?

Comparing Van Jones to Bill Ayers - For "indoctrinating" our children to be green. Apples and Oranges.

Bill Ayers is responsible for developing the national curriculum in the Dept. of Education. No, he has no cabinet post, he's one of them Czar thingys.

Glenn Beck is a nutjob.

Do you even watch or listen to him in his own words or just the sound bites played on MSNBC? It's amazing when you google those quotes, not one of the hits on the first page is to Glenn's own website that contains the actual transcript of what he said.
April 20, 2011 5:03:47 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Gold closed at $1,502/ounce yesterday. When Glenn was telling people to buy gold when it was $600/ounce he was called crazy, a scam artist, etc.

When he told people to prepare for inflation, spiking food and fuel prices he was called a fear mongerer. Well, have you seen the price of food and gas lately?

When he predicted the unrest in Tunisia would spread to the rest of the middle east he was called a nut job. Ahem! Seen the news lately? Need I go on?

You make him sound like a prophet of the Lord.

Can I just say that there are reason why he said these things, it is because it is obvious yet the average American is too ignorant to see this. I do not want to invest in gold right now, because of my current funds. Inflation always happens, big whoop. Of course it would spread: Monkey see-monkey do. Just wait 'til it spreads to America.
April 20, 2011 5:11:09 PM

dogman_1234 said:
You make him sound like a prophet of the Lord.

Can I just say that there are reason why he said these things, it is because it is obvious yet the average American is too ignorant to see this. I do not want to invest in gold right now, because of my current funds. Inflation always happens, big whoop. Of course it would spread: Monkey see-monkey do. Just wait 'til it spreads to America.

If it was so obvious then why was he the only one saying it? And, when he did say it, why was he ridiculed in the main stream media including political pundits that appear on FOX News? If it is obvious and true why was he called a nutjob for telling to people to prepare for these things? I just don't get the criticism of him when he is correct and telling the "obvious" truth.
April 21, 2011 2:28:28 AM

What happens if you have Green Energy Savings with Conservatism, get that brain in opposite pyschology mode and you have fear to the mass with best bang for the buck! You put opposite pyschology on Liberals, how do they deal with a conflict when they are uncertain on how to go about pulling the trigger on the issue when they don't know which solution to choose and go obsessive compulsive and fanatic! You need to bring the radical party and Bach or Ludwig Van Beethoveen! When things go unstable you need the button pushers!

Or get that doomsday device from thinkgeeks, to make something random occur to get someone to make a countermove!
April 21, 2011 2:31:05 AM

Best thing to Do is Unlock and Load in one of those AfterBurner Games or Aces of Combat or Gradius! Spontaneous Combustion alway makes new things in the universe! Drop the Grant(Funding) or Benjamin(Innovation)! or whoever faces is on the $1000 or Higher Bills!
April 21, 2011 3:15:12 AM

...or divide by zero.
April 21, 2011 7:32:59 PM

Top ten craziest Glenn Beck quotes (With Sources!)
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/stupidquotes/a/glenn...

Glen Beck said the world would end Aug 22nd .......2006. I didnt notice.
http://mediamatters.org/research/200608230009

This is another nice collection of the crazy Shite he spews.
http://www.alternet.org/news/144726/glenn_beck's_year_of_wild_conspiracies,_paranoid_delusions_and_cynical_lies_/?comments=view&cID=1395149&pID=1394361

Glenn Beck ADMITS he doesnt fact check (Video)
http://www.politicususa.com/en/Glenn-Beck-The-View

Lies about 45% of doctors would quit if healthcare were imposed.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009...

Lies about Obams cabinet.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009...

GB Forcasted that signing into Cars.gov that the government would steal all of your files. -Didnt happen.
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/cash-for-clunkers/

GB on the '07 california fires.
Quote:
''I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today.'

Quote:
''I could give a flying crap about the political process ... We're an entertainment company.''

On Evolution.
Quote:
''I don't think we came from monkeys. I think that's ridiculous. I haven't seen a half-monkey, half-person yet.''

Quote:
''Barack Obama ... chose to use his name Barack for a reason -- to identify, not with America -- you don't take the name Barack to identify with America. You take the name Barack to identify with what? Your heritage? The heritage, maybe, of your father in Kenya, who is a radical? Is -- really? Searching for something to give him any kind of meaning, just as he was searching later in life for religion.''

This guy is single handedly destroying America. There i said it. Glenn Beck is not a good man he scares the pissout of people for ratings. Hes not doing this to help anyone hes like Steven Colbert but not fracking around. He is a nutjob end of story move on.

"Satan's mentally challenged younger brother." –Stephen King (About GB)
April 21, 2011 9:34:23 PM

Again all taken completely out of context and not one link to a transcript to put the quote in context. Many times Glen is impersonating other people when those quotes are "captured" and then put into text where the sarcasm and weird voices do not carry over.

Example of context:

Reynod says "I think mingo is hot"!

Oldmangamer says to buwish "i heard Reynod thinks mingo is hot!"

MSNBC reports: Oldmangamer says "(cut this part out) mingo is hot!"

See how that works?
April 21, 2011 10:09:46 PM

...Then Bill Maher makes a funny and says, "Bat-shyt."
April 22, 2011 11:18:26 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Again all taken completely out of context and not one link to a transcript to put the quote in context. Many times Glen is impersonating other people when those quotes are "captured" and then put into text where the sarcasm and weird voices do not carry over.

Example of context:

Reynod says "I think mingo is hot"!

Oldmangamer says to buwish "i heard Reynod thinks mingo is hot!"

MSNBC reports: Oldmangamer says "(cut this part out) mingo is hot!"

See how that works?

Who is this "Mingo" chick? I could not find her on the internetz ... there is a town, and a group of extinct Indians, and some blue grass ... alas no "Dorothy Stratton" lookalike.

I am dissappointed with you ...

/contemplates sending OMG to the telletubbies for a vacation.

April 22, 2011 12:12:11 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Many Glen is other people when voices do not carry over. Mingo is hot :pt1cable: 

which of these are out of context? Ill try to track down the other parts of the quotes in a fair and balanced way.

April 22, 2011 3:13:22 PM

Hmmm, why is noboady calling CNBC a nutjob for reporting on this. The same topic Glenn has been shouting from the roof tops about for over a year. Once again, ahead of the curve.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42704213
April 22, 2011 4:37:24 PM

lol old man i never said he was NEVER right. And right is relative m pretty sure other people said food prices and gas prices are going to reach a tipping point. I just said hes not always right and that fear mongering is not healthy for the US.

Definition of a terrorist: a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon.

Glenn Beck scares the *** out of people for little to no reason, he is a poster boy for terrorism.

How come you havent said anything back to the lies hes posted? Also Ive been trying to find some of those quotes and so far none of them look out of context he really does believe the shite coming out of his mouth.

So again he may have gotten a few things right (I think we can agree on that) but he does far more harm than good.
April 22, 2011 4:46:50 PM

Get that Fallout-Boy Dude to Divide by Zero! Hes got the thumbs up, and probably the fingerprint reader to the giant hoagie dart that revolves around the planet from Interplay either Nickel or Gold!
!