XBOX360 vs PS3

OK, here we go again. My dick is bigger than yours, my console has a
higher spec than yours.

5 years ago it was all the same, , 10 years ago the same. Nothing changes.

My personal take? I dont beleive either console will prove to be the
'revolution' they promise. Both will have a similar real world
performance. One will have advantages over the other for game graphics,.

OK, so Sony have gone out with all guns blazing, boasting massive
performance advantages....at least on paper. Dont forget there are
some architectural differences, - most specifically in the GPU design.
That could have a dramatic and profound impact on wether all that
additional Teraflop performance will actually mean real world benefits.
Also it has half the System ram. That could also have a huge bearing.

As for the Tech Demos, well, having viewed them all - all I can say is
they are Very Nice tech demos, but they dont tell me anything about how
well the games will play. How many people sat here in exactly the same
way, pouring over the PS2 demos 5 years ago? Same again with the PS1?
In each generation, the demos proved to be just that. Tech demos.
As is the case with the various Tech Demos released on PCs to show off
spanking new graphics technology, nothing ever translates to real
world, in game graphics.

So it's all very well that Sony talk about Film quality 3d Visuals, but
it's bollocks if you cant use that in a game due to the load it puts on
all the other parts of the console.

One thing to bear in mind though, is that even ignoring the specs of
the PS3, it certainly is a well specified peice of kit - BD-ROm,
wireless of all varieties out of the box, HDMI and a nice little set of
Memory card readers all in one box.

Microsoft on the other hand seem to have gone with the bare essentials
- DVD is their chosen format, so it could cause them problems later
down the line.

Personally, it's very nice that HD is being pushed so hard, but it will
be a very long time before the mainstream can afford to take advantage
of it. Especially in Europe where we dont even have HDTV outside of a
single 1080p TV station!!

Another observation I'd like to make is that for all the power the XBOX
excerted over the PS2, the difference in game was only discernable on
the very top grade 1st party titles. Most cross platform titles looked
near as damn it identical.

Given the huge artistic time investment in developing artwork for all
these new systems, dont you think the same will be true for the XBOX360
and PS3, but in reverse?

OK, over and out.

I agree with most of what you said except the part about the graphical
difference between the PS2 and Xbox games. It would be a pretty
significant difference if PS3 games look as much better than Xbox360
games as Xbox games looked better than PS2 games. The hype for both
companies is getting really silly. Lots of famous high tech companies
would be going out of business if Toy-Story graphics can be rendered in
real-time on a $300 to $500 machine.

"brun132001" <brun132001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I agree with most of what you said except the part about the graphical
> difference between the PS2 and Xbox games. It would be a pretty
> significant difference if PS3 games look as much better than Xbox360
> games as Xbox games looked better than PS2 games. The hype for both
> companies is getting really silly. Lots of famous high tech companies
> would be going out of business if Toy-Story graphics can be rendered in
> real-time on a $300 to $500 machine.

No, because you cant program on that 300 - 500 machine.

I'm sure a dev kit costs alot more...

"Doctor What?" <blibble@bobble.com> wrote in message
> OK, here we go again. My dick is bigger than yours, my console has a
> higher spec than yours.
[snip]

I agree with most of what you said, except the dick part. My dick IS bigger
than yours!

TRENDING THREADS