Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build April-July 2012

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2012 11:02:31 AM

Hi there, didn't really know where to post this, I would like some reccommendations as to what I should get, I am building a new PC from 100% scratch, I will list what I am thinking of getting, please constructive feedback! ;) 
looking to be able to play games within the next 5 years with only minor upgrades

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Green or Red
Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (This one is pretty concrete!) I want a Z77 board for the new tech.
CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 2570K (When it's out)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866Mhz
PSU: Any recommendations? i think I need around 800w
GPU: Any recommendations? $550 USD Max would prefer new Nvidia but also considering Ati as it is 3GB :lol:  (this could be put into SLI/Crossfire in order to save on money in the future)
HDD: x4 WD Caviar Black 500GB In RAID 10 (Also recommendations?)
SSD: OCZ vertex 4 128GB SSD for OS+Game Files
Mouse: Razer Naga Epic (Already have this)
Monitor ASUS VG278H 27" 2ms 100000:1 3D Monitor with 3D Lightboost 120Hz (Pretty well sold on this!)
TV Card AVer3D CaptureHD (Instead of a 3D TV)
Liquid Cooling Corsair H100 (Is it worth getting Liquid? Would you recommend something else around the same price? $170USD )

My budget is around $3700 USD incl 3D exp. and Liquid cooling.
$2300USD without :whistle: 

I am really attracted to this 3D gaming, sounds great!
Any thoughts about 3D Gaming are much appreciated
Current/coming games I would like to run with decent graphics are:

Batman: Arkham City
XCOM
Arma 3
Prototype 2
GW2
BF3
Skyrim
MW3
Diablo 3
Crysis 2/3
The Witcher 2
SC2
Hitman: Absolution

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm new here, but I've spent hours researching and re researching xD

ohh I also live in NZ, but leave prices in USD, I can convert them!
Thanks!! :sol:  :hello: 

More about : build april july 2012

April 19, 2012 1:08:42 PM

That's a long time away. Also, if you live in NZ, you can't buy things at the same price people in the US do. We have to find your parts on an NZ site... newegg won't ship there.

Anyway, try posting again closer to the time you build your build... at least after IB is released. Any advice we'd give you now would be outdated by July (or at least the GPU selection).
April 20, 2012 5:33:27 AM

I don't really mind, you see I have this thing where I research everthing that I buy, alot xD

just some feedback about weather or not Overclocking is needed
and the same for Liquid, to get good graphics for those games

Thanks!!

don't worry about NZ not having what's on newegg, my supplier can get most of it anyway ;) 

opinions just in general would be good!

ie, what would you change with this from a performance/futureproof perspective :D 
Related resources

Best solution

April 20, 2012 10:56:26 PM

You're like that too?? I extensively research everything I do... even if it's a download to encode video! In fact, I got interested in building a computer about a month ago, and now I'm ranked third on these forums for Systems in April... just shows you how obsessive I can be when researching.

Anyway, I decided to look up your case. Wow. WOW. That thing is sexy. Cases don't change very often, by the way. Neither do motherboards, CPUs, and PSUs. However, CPUs and mobos are in a transition phase right now because of IB. Just don't buy your parts separately... buy them all at once (meaning time frame... preferably within a few days of each other, to allow for RMA).

Going on. I'm assuming you mean the IB i5-3570k, not the 2570k... anyway, I'm recommending the 3570k. It'll be nice.

Mobo: Yours seems fine... ASUS is good, though expensive.

Case: You heard me above. I like it a lot for aesthetics... don't know about performance. Can't be terrible... a case can only do so much. The only thing is that I'm not sure how cable management would be... it's got a weird form factor. I like the black/green color scheme, by the way (man... just... man...). In case you wanted to know.

RAM: Make sure it's CAS9 and 1.5v or lower. 1866 might be too much (I prefer 1600), but if you want it, go ahead. It's only like $10 more, right?

PSU: Hmm... I'm using this PSU calculator that is very reliable and has great reviews. The newegg one is terrible. It's here: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Anyway, allowing for a VERY generous setup (meaning more taxing than it actually is) with 20% wearing due to aging, 4.5GHz overclock with 1.35vcore on an i5-2500k (which will use more power), high end mobo, and a bunch of other stuff (5 7200rpm drives, 2USB, H100 for cooling, GTX 680), it said you would need about 679W (not minimum, recommended. That means above minimum). I'm always uneasy about coming that close, so I'd go with a 750W... a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II Silver Rated 750W PSU, to be exact. It's only $110, silver rated, very reliable, and quiet... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
By the way, it's only $100 right now... so it's on sale from last time! With a MIR, it's like $80! There's a 950W version if you want it. Also, you may want a gold or platinum rated PSU... it's really up to you at that point. I think that this is a great deal for a silver rated. It's also VERY well reviewed (not by newegg, by actual PSU reviewers, not customers), and VERY good.

GPU: GTX 680... best GPU out there, and probably will be for now. Try to get an MSI Twin Frozr II OC version (if there is one) if possible, they're on limited availability (all 680s, not just MSI) right now, but it'll probably be more available as time goes by.

HDD: Why 4 drives? Backup? I'd get a 1TB each, and make sure it's 7200rpm.

SSD: Seems fine

Mouse-liquid cooling: Don't know. Oh, I'd really be against getting a pre-made liquid cooling setup. The H100 is good, but most people have problems with liquid cooling setups that are pre-built... most will build their own. It'll usually cost around $200. There's really no necessity for liquid cooling unless you're going really high, though.

That's a pretty hefty price, though, anyway. I'd go with a Hyper 212 Evo... should be enough. Or a Noctua D-14 (I think it's a D-14.. something like that). Overall, it should max out ANY game out there. It'll play games at medium or above for... oh... I'd say a good four years. By the way, did I mention your case looks AWESOME? Seriously... if someone else is looking at this thread... look at this case. LOOK AT IT.
April 21, 2012 4:47:03 AM

Best answer selected by S4ndV1p3r.
April 22, 2012 2:58:48 AM

Quote:
Going on. I'm assuming you mean the IB i5-3570k, not the 2570k... anyway, I'm recommending the 3570k. It'll be nice.

whoops! typo. yeah looks mint!

Quote:
Mobo: Yours seems fine... ASUS is good, though expensive.

Sweet

Quote:
Case: You heard me above. I like it a lot for aesthetics... don't know about performance. Can't be terrible... a case can only do so much. The only thing is that I'm not sure how cable management would be... it's got a weird form factor. I like the black/green color scheme, by the way (man... just... man...). In case you wanted to know.

yeah I'm trying to decide between that and this http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1467&ID=20...
I like the HAF X too but it doesn't have the SATA Dock xD

Quote:
RAM: Make sure it's CAS9 and 1.5v or lower. 1866 might be too much (I prefer 1600), but if you want it, go ahead. It's only like $10 more, right?

yeah I think that that RAM was on the QVL for my mobo so I should be ok ;)  What I really wanted was the Dominator GT from Corsair, but seeing as it wasn't on the QVL I don't wanna risk it! xD

Quote:
PSU: Hmm... I'm using this PSU calculator that is very reliable and has great reviews. The newegg one is terrible. It's here: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Anyway, allowing for a VERY generous setup (meaning more taxing than it actually is) with 20% wearing due to aging, 4.5GHz overclock with 1.35vcore on an i5-2500k (which will use more power), high end mobo, and a bunch of other stuff (5 7200rpm drives, 2USB, H100 for cooling, GTX 680), it said you would need about 679W (not minimum, recommended. That means above minimum). I'm always uneasy about coming that close, so I'd go with a 750W... a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II Silver Rated 750W PSU, to be exact. It's only $110, silver rated, very reliable, and quiet... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
By the way, it's only $100 right now... so it's on sale from last time! With a MIR, it's like $80! There's a 950W version if you want it. Also, you may want a gold or platinum rated PSU... it's really up to you at that point. I think that this is a great deal for a silver rated. It's also VERY well reviewed (not by newegg, by actual PSU reviewers, not customers), and VERY good.

yeah that's the PSU calc I was using too =)
That PSU looks nice, though I can't get that brand over here, I did a calc with extras like Cold Cathodes, Fan Controller LCD Display and TV card and the SSD it came to around 900w =O

Quote:
GPU: GTX 680... best GPU out there, and probably will be for now. Try to get an MSI Twin Frozr II OC version (if there is one) if possible, they're on limited availability (all 680s, not just MSI) right now, but it'll probably be more available as time goes by.

I'd love at GTX 680! but trouble is that over here in NZ you can't get one for anything less than around $700 USD!
hence why there is still quite a large amount of stock left over here xD

I'm personally thinking of holding out for a 670 Ti ;) 
Or going with ATI and getting a HD 7950, which would be better?
anyone know why the HD 79XX have 3GB and the 6XX only have 2GB? >.>

Quote:
HDD: Why 4 drives? Backup? I'd get a 1TB each, and make sure it's 7200rpm.

I was gunna do RAID 10 for Backup and Speed, would this not be as necessary with a SSD for Games + OS?
should I just get 2x 1TB in RAID 1? :ouch: 

Quote:
liquid cooling: Don't know. Oh, I'd really be against getting a pre-made liquid cooling setup. The H100 is good, but most people have problems with liquid cooling setups that are pre-built... most will build their own. It'll usually cost around $200. There's really no necessity for liquid cooling unless you're going really high, though. That's a pretty hefty price, though, anyway. I'd go with a Hyper 212 Evo... should be enough. Or a Noctua D-14 (I think it's a D-14.. something like that). Overall, it should max out ANY game out there. It'll play games at medium or above for... oh... I'd say a good four years.

I think it would be better to build my own, any brands you would recommend for Parts?

April 22, 2012 1:59:58 PM

Quote:
yeah I'm trying to decide between that and this http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Prod [...] 67&ID=2048
I like the HAF X too but it doesn't have the SATA Dock xD

Whoa. That looks really nice!

Quote:
That PSU looks nice, though I can't get that brand over here, I did a calc with extras like Cold Cathodes, Fan Controller LCD Display and TV card and the SSD it came to around 900w =O

At that point I have to ask... are you going to use a TV card? SSDs don't use a lot of power, by the way. Cold cathodes... to tell the truth, I have no idea. An LCD is always going to take power. I think 900W is overkill, to tell the truth.

Quote:
I'd love at GTX 680! but trouble is that over here in NZ you can't get one for anything less than around $700 USD!
hence why there is still quite a large amount of stock left over here xD

I'm personally thinking of holding out for a 670 Ti ;) 
Or going with ATI and getting a HD 7950, which would be better?
anyone know why the HD 79XX have 3GB and the 6XX only have 2GB? >.>

Oh yeah, I heard about that. I think holding out for a 670 Ti would probably be beneficial, if only because it would cause AMD Radeon's prices to fall a bit (although I guess it depends on their pricing...). The HD 79xx series just got prices slashed so it might be a good idea to go with those, though they consume a lot more energy. Also, I think that the 79xx series is supposed to be higher-end than the 6xxx series... although I don't know, to tell the truth. I think 3GB is overkill for a single screen, but it can't be a bad thing :) 

Quote:
I was gunna do RAID 10 for Backup and Speed, would this not be as necessary with a SSD for Games + OS?
should I just get 2x 1TB in RAID 1? :ouch: 

I'd use the SSD for OS and games, and use a couple of 1TB in RAID. I guess you could use the SSD as a caching device for the HDDs, but if you put OS and games on SSD, it would run faster. If you cached, you'd have some fast word documents, though ;)  (I'm basically saying don't use the SSD for caching unless it's less than 64GB).

Quote:
I think it would be better to build my own, any brands you would recommend for Parts?

Honestly, I think you should go to the cooling/cases (I think that's the section, anyway) section of the forums. When I was asking about liquid cooling, people warned me away from non-custom setups. I'm fairly sure that they meant liquid cooling for EVERY component (GPU, RAM, CPU, etc.)... I don't know a lot about liquid cooling. Do you only want to cool the CPU with liquid cooling?
!