Sign in with
Your question

PC shut down itself and won't boot up

Last response: in Components
August 1, 2012 2:32:19 PM

Hello,
I built this custom built rig about 4months ago and has been running as steady as a rock. However this morning I left it on,idle and went away for 30mins only to come back and find my PC off. Now assuming my family members aren't lying it must have switched off itself. The only problem is that it refuses to boot up. The power LEDs are on, on my GFx card, and I believe the mobo lights only turn on when the OC is switched on. I've tried resetting the GFx card, CMOS battery and PSU but have no luck. Any ideas?

Specs.

i5 2500k @4.4GHz (stock voltage)
Gigabyte z68x ud3p b3 mobo
XFX Pro 650W PSU
asus GTX 560ti
8GB Corsair Vengence

More about : shut boot

August 1, 2012 7:07:17 PM

update - started working after having left it unplugged for a few hours. However this has happened before, and I'd like to know what causes this, it must be some safety switch that keeps switching off then only allowing the pc to start again after some time.
August 1, 2012 7:36:19 PM

Have you actually cleared the CMOS? Usually, you remove the battery, then switch a jumper (to clear memory), then replace the battery. Also, make sure you try putting a new CMOS battery in.

Oh yea, and after you do all that, make sure you tap a few buttons to try to get your video card to work (usually it's F8, F10, or Delete). Sometimes your mobo will try to use a funny graphics setting where your computer actually works, but you can't see any video.

Other than that, you're gonna have to play the game of elimination. I know from experience that if you have a fried CPU it will act the way you are describing. I have also had computers fry RAM and do the same thing. If you have another computer lying around, I'd just switch out one component at a time and see if you can get it to work that way.

To be clear, it might help for some more details... You said that it won't "Boot", which would mean load your OS. But will it POST? That is, do you at least see a screen come up that analyzes what kind of CPU / RAM / Drives you have installed?

Panzer91 said:
Hello,
I built this custom built rig about 4months ago and has been running as steady as a rock. However this morning I left it on,idle and went away for 30mins only to come back and find my PC off. Now assuming my family members aren't lying it must have switched off itself. The only problem is that it refuses to boot up. The power LEDs are on, on my GFx card, and I believe the mobo lights only turn on when the OC is switched on. I've tried resetting the GFx card, CMOS battery and PSU but have no luck. Any ideas?

Specs.

i5 2500k @4.4GHz (stock voltage)
Gigabyte z68x ud3p b3 mobo
XFX Pro 650W PSU
asus GTX 560ti
8GB Corsair Vengence

Related resources
August 1, 2012 7:38:00 PM

Sounds mysterious indeed. I would check all your connections to make sure they are in contact. There shouldn't be any safety feature that makes it so you can't boot up right away.

Panzer91 said:
update - started working after having left it unplugged for a few hours. However this has happened before, and I'd like to know what causes this, it must be some safety switch that keeps switching off then only allowing the pc to start again after some time.

August 1, 2012 8:41:27 PM

sorry when I meant boot, I meant when I pressed the power on button nothing happened. I've rechecked everything and the same thing occurred again, only this time when I was gaming. Again the system does not start, which is getting a bit annoying. About the CMOS, I removed and switched the jumper before replacing it. I'm not sure how much of an effect replacing the CMOS with a new one will do since it does save all my clock settings fine.

I think I'll rebuild it tomorrow, but there's definitely some faulty part.
August 3, 2012 12:26:58 AM

OK. You're right, there wouldn't be any need to replace the battery if it's keeping time and settings for you. The key is - does it keep all that even if you unplug the machine? In either case, it's not vital. But like I said, with a problem like yours it is really gonna come down to testing one piece at a time. Good luck with that. I don't have any more ideas for you. If you get it sorted out, please post your findings.

Panzer91 said:
sorry when I meant boot, I meant when I pressed the power on button nothing happened. I've rechecked everything and the same thing occurred again, only this time when I was gaming. Again the system does not start, which is getting a bit annoying. About the CMOS, I removed and switched the jumper before replacing it. I'm not sure how much of an effect replacing the CMOS with a new one will do since it does save all my clock settings fine.

I think I'll rebuild it tomorrow, but there's definitely some faulty part.

August 3, 2012 8:38:39 AM

Yeah it keeps all my settings fine even when the machine is unplugged. I'm not sure how I can go about testing individual parts since I don't have another PC to test parts on. However, I re-built it all yesterday, new thermal paste and a bit more cable management - didn't find anything wrong.

I also set up the CPU fan to normal instead of silent operation, although if that was overheating, it wouldn't take at minimum an hour and half to cool down. Tweaked the GFX Card fan settings so it stays a bit cooler. Then proceeded to play a game for a couple of hours with no crashes. I also toned my overclock down from 4.4 to 4GHz

So I don't know what triggers it, or what part it could be causing this. Will try and investigate, thanks for the help buddy!
August 3, 2012 6:53:55 PM

The fact that you got it to boot up at all is very comforting. It does sound like possibly a heat or power issue. One way to try and narrow your problem down would be to use a program that specifically taxes RAM, and see if it glitches. Then use another that specifically taxes the CPU, and see if it glitches. Others specifically tax everything (which taxes your PSU). Otherwise, you can continue what you've already done, and just crank things back a bit, and see if your problem goes away altogether. It does sound likely that at least one of your components has been working too hard for too long. Sometimes you can add better cooling, or do a combination of cooling and less over-clocking. It still puzzles me a bit that you should have to wait for hours before it would even do anything for you at all after it fails.

Panzer91 said:
Yeah it keeps all my settings fine even when the machine is unplugged. I'm not sure how I can go about testing individual parts since I don't have another PC to test parts on. However, I re-built it all yesterday, new thermal paste and a bit more cable management - didn't find anything wrong.

I also set up the CPU fan to normal instead of silent operation, although if that was overheating, it wouldn't take at minimum an hour and half to cool down. Tweaked the GFX Card fan settings so it stays a bit cooler. Then proceeded to play a game for a couple of hours with no crashes. I also toned my overclock down from 4.4 to 4GHz

So I don't know what triggers it, or what part it could be causing this. Will try and investigate, thanks for the help buddy!

August 5, 2012 12:49:42 PM

yeah, it's the first computer I've had that does this, very annoying. Not sure how much more cooling I could do, I'm using the nzxt phantom case, have an intake fan at the front, two on the side and an exhaust in the rear and one at the top of my case. As for the CPU I use a hyper 212+ and monitoring my temps, they are all generally safe, CPU maxes out at 60C, whereas the GPU hits a max of 75C. I think I will have to go and test each component separately - had a day of everything being fine and then the problem hits again this morning.
October 2, 2013 2:17:31 PM

i have the same problem. I was just watching a livestrea and it turned itself off. It wont turn back on! It turns on by itself. Runs for a while and shuts down again. Any solution?
!