New build but re-using several old parts. help + compatibility.

glynnder

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: I'm from England so terrible with dollar but my budget is around £300, that's about $450.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photography + Editing, Web design, internet / videos etc, some light programming.

Parts Definitely Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor [though will upgrade in future], Speakers, OS, HDD, DVD Drives.

Parts I aim to Re-use: PSU (Cooler Master eXtreme Power Duo 650W), Case (front USB / Audio broken but otherwise fine Cooler Master Cavalier 3), Graphics Card (old Sapphire ATI Radeon 256mb X1950)

Parts I am replacing [for reference]: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2 x 1GB GeIL DDR2 RAM PC2-6400 RAM.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.co.uk, scan.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk

Parts Preferences: Intel processor, good reputation mobo not too expensive [Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte maybe?].

Overclocking: Perhaps, in the future when I need the extra performance.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe crossfire.

Monitor Resolution: Atm 1 is 1280x1024, 1 is 1024x768. Will replace second one for a new 1920 x 1080 monitor in the future.

Additional Comments: Thinking the intel 2500k Processor , Amazon have it at £160, that's about $250. Found an 8GB Ram kit reduced to £40 ($65) on Amazon.
I wanted the Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard but it's expensive, at £146.50 ($230). Considering the Asus P8Z68-V LX instead, that's only £89 ($140).

I'd like to know what the Asus P8Z68-V LX is like as a motherboard and whether these parts are compatible.

Any other comments would be amazing, and advice on a motherboard and stuff too.

Thanks very much

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The 2500K is a super gaming chip. but doesn't suppport hyperthreading. If your main uses can use HT tech then the 2500K is not the CPU for you. Better that you consider the 2100 series or 2600/2700 series SB CPUs.

You seem to want to upgrade with this platform so I recommend tha Z77 mobo chipset over the Z68. I think that you will get more bang for the buck with a ASRock, Biostar or Gigabyte over ASUS, but ASUS is good quality.

Your components seem to be compatible.