Sign in with
Your question

Advice on first PC build

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2012 1:42:39 PM

Hi there, afetr many years of console gaming I have decided to take the olunge and try to builsd myself a new pc. I live in Germany, but like to read in English so will be buying the parts from amazon in germany.

Quite tricky for people to link what they think would be good, but please just write it down.

Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next couple of weeks really. Waiting for IB.

Budget Range: No rebates for me. Not a concrete, but about 1700.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : I would like to use Intel and Nvidia.

Parts already purchased:

CPU: Want an IB, i5.
-Cooling ?
GPU: GTX 680
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Vertex 4 128GB

PSU: Corsair AX750W
Case: Bitfenix Colossus
DVD: ?

Monitor:?

Overclocking: Maybe, if I manage to make it work.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe at the end of the year.

Monitor Resolution: Have no idea whats a good res? Need a monitor.

Additional Comments: First time builder. Have done alot of research and need some experts to tell me I have made the right decisions....or that I have made the wrong ones. Any comments or advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

More about : advice build

April 19, 2012 1:57:12 PM

Hi,

I personally would wait for ivy bridge, its coming out real soon can't wait.
Nvidia gtx 680 is a very nice looking card, if you can find it in stock that is :p 
Monitor res. wise, go for 1920x 1080 for full hd. Any reputable brand you like.

Also, in my opinion, the ocz ssd are not very reliable, if you have the money, try for something like a crucial m4.
April 19, 2012 6:22:24 PM

Oh dear, I just bought the new OCZ vertex 4...was that not a wide decision?

How much better is a 120Hz monitor than a normal one? Just considering it. Worth it?

Hopefully by the time IB gets here the 680GTX wont be too hard to find. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
April 19, 2012 6:45:48 PM

If you already have it then its fine, lol. An ssd is an ssd.

In my opinion, just stick to a 60Hz, beacuse generally 120Hz will be a lot more expensive, and maybe out of your budget. That being said, if you find a good deal, jump for it.

Yes, just keep your eyes open for the 680, lol.
!