Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint 92

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Considering upgrading my ATI 4890. Would like a card that will be good for the next few years. Need some ideas.

Thinking GeForce GTX 460 or GTX 560

SLI not real viable for now.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE 2.8
ATI Radeon 4890
8 gigs ram
23 in Samsung monitor can go 2048 x 1152

Solution
a 560 or 6850/70 would be the fastest i would go with that system .
the 4890 was the flagship card for ati back in the day, so it definitely has proven to be worth the money; the 560 will " last" a few years, but as far as keep up with future gaming that is to be told. It is a mid ranged card at the moment, so you would see some gains but the card would seem weak faster than if you went a couple notches up on your budget and got a 570.
a 560 or 6850/70 would be the fastest i would go with that system .
the 4890 was the flagship card for ati back in the day, so it definitely has proven to be worth the money; the 560 will " last" a few years, but as far as keep up with future gaming that is to be told. It is a mid ranged card at the moment, so you would see some gains but the card would seem weak faster than if you went a couple notches up on your budget and got a 570.

Solution
as longs the card lasts i would say.
unless you are really wanting to get into dx11, then the 4890 can play games well enough. if you could save a bit more there will also be more options a couple months from now when amd/nvidia release more cards from the new series.
i know youve probably been waiting forever, but at this point in the game, waiting will increase your budget and increase your options as well as the new cards release. this will also hopefully drive down prices of the last gen cards to make even more viable choices available.
the 970 and 1100T are great choices as far as amd goes; i have a 980 and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.