Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a 670 GTX SLI fit in a Mid ATX Tower?

Last response: in Components
August 1, 2012 3:19:28 PM

Hello there.

I'm helping a friend building his gaming rig (i5 3570K with a lovely GTX 670 SLI). Since we're from Mexico, most components will be bought online from US stores, but due package weight issues, we are going to get the computer case here.

Since in Mexico the prices for a Full Tower cases are ridiculously high(> $200 USD for starters), we found a couple of ATX Mid cases we liked, these are:

Thermaltake Level 10 GTS Black SECC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT H2 H2-001-BK Black Steel / Plastic Classic Silent
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

We are concerned that, since the GTX 670 (specifically, the EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB) is pretty big, the SLI setup just won't fit or it would be too crumbled for air to flow properly.

It all would be mounted on an ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ).

Would we be ok with any of those cases, or should we really go for an ATX Full Tower?

Cheers.
a c 78 ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 3:40:37 PM

The two cards will fit in the NZXT case for sure and the Thermaltake will be a little tight because it looks like those hard drive bays are a little longer that usual.
When you look at the dimensions of the cards and the motherboard you can see that the Asrock motherboard is 9.6" wide and that the video card you have selected is 10" long so that means the card will go past the edge of the motherboard by .4" or just about 1/2 inch. I would think that the motherboard would have more than 1/2 inch clearence from the edge of the MB to the HD bays. The other Evga GTX 670's are 9.5" long and won't go past the end of the MB.
02G-P4-2670-KR
O4G-P4-2673-KR

Best solution

a c 87 ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 4:14:42 PM

The NZXT H2 can take GPUs up to 25/31cm, depending on whether there are HDDs installed or not in the drive bays right next to the GPU.

The Thermaltake Level 10 GTS can take GPUs up to 31.5cm.

These clearance numbers are taken from the respective manufacturer's website.

According to EVGA's PDF the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR is 25.4cm long.

So I would conclude that the card you are looking at will fit fine in either case.

Considering that the NZXT H2 is marketed as a quiet case, it doesn't give priority to airflow, so I think the TT Level 10 GTS is the better choice in terms of being able to keep both cards cool.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 1, 2012 4:21:16 PM

if you casn fit 1 card then theres no reason you cant fit another as the mid size atx case is designed to take up to 7 pci devices which means up to 3 pci-e 2 slot gfx cards as long as you can get your hdds in also.
depending on the make and model you may need more cooling but generally if the case has a floor inlet with 1-2,120-140mm fans then 3 cards will be fine. but as a general rule the more gfx cards the more inflow fans for cooling are required. and really you should stick to 1 fan per card minimum. just so you have the required cfm to effectively feed the gfx card coolers without starving the rest of the case of air flow.
August 1, 2012 5:28:39 PM

inzone said:
The two cards will fit in the NZXT case for sure and the Thermaltake will be a little tight because it looks like those hard drive bays are a little longer that usual.
When you look at the dimensions of the cards and the motherboard you can see that the Asrock motherboard is 9.6" wide and that the video card you have selected is 10" long so that means the card will go past the edge of the motherboard by .4" or just about 1/2 inch. I would think that the motherboard would have more than 1/2 inch clearence from the edge of the MB to the HD bays. The other Evga GTX 670's are 9.5" long and won't go past the end of the MB.
02G-P4-2670-KR
O4G-P4-2673-KR

Would you rather change the GPU for the smaller one's you posted or just get a MOBO in which the two EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW fit better? Any model I should consider?
a c 78 ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 12:59:06 AM

There is no issue with the motherboard and the one you selected is the same one I have recomended on many builds. The video card fitting better is not an issue or something to worry about because the card fits in the Pci-e slot and as long as the motherboard fits in the case the video cards will. Mid-tower caswes are constructed to hold a fair amount of hardware and are good sized cases with the only thing bigger is a full tower. You would be concerned about space in a mini-case , micro-case or slim-case.Either of those cases will hold both the motherboard and video cards that you selected and the 10" long card is only 1/2" longer than the others and will pose no clearence problems.
August 2, 2012 2:06:47 PM

Ook, perfect, I think I can finally choose and build this 'lil monster.

Thank you, guys
August 2, 2012 2:08:39 PM

Best answer selected by Hito_kun.
!