990 FX System. Am I doing something wrong?

Redemption77

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hi,
I have buit a new gaming rig for BF3 when it came out. I am no stranger to homebuilds because I have built every machine I have owed since 2000. However, I feel like something is missing in my configuration. I am having studdering in BF3(other games too) and can't run it a max setteings. Here are my stats:

AMD Phenom II x 4 965 BE 3.7 GHz (auto OC'd to 4 GHz)
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
8 gig G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR3 1333
2 x XFX 6870's crossfire
WD1 TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
Lite-On IHAS424-98 24x
Hanspree HF255 25" LCD monitor (1920x1080)
Thermaltake 850 watt Black Widow PSU
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Case
Windows 7 64

I have updated all drivers and profile applications. I have done windows updates, disabled background programs in MSCONFIG, scan disc, defrag and tested all components for defective parts. I am at a loss. Is there something in my build that is the problem? I know alot of games ship unfinished and need time pan out, but I should be able to crush whatever I play. Any advice? I was thinking I needed faster memory and was going to go with Carsair Dominator. That is the only thing I can resonably think could be upgraded. Thanks in advance!!

Redemption77

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I have gone single card and have not seen an improvement. Yeah, people are having ups and downs with BF3, but Batman:AC, Crysis 2 and RAGE are all running poorly. I have thought about going back to single GPU and getting the HD 7970 or GTX 680, but from all the articles and benchmarks I have seen, my Crossfire setup should out perform them. It just sucks to dump this much money into a system and then look at Gears 3 for my Xbox and wonder why I upgraded.lol

It should handle those games just fine. Its weird that it doesn't. I don't know if flashing the BIOS on the board would help or not, is it the latest version? Mine was shipped about 2 months ago and it had the latest on board already. (We have the same board)

Also check out your AI tweaker, the auto OC "guesses", maybe something isn't stable there. In your digi VRM, check out the power phase setting. When mine did auto it left it on standard.

recon i think i was playing BF3 with you last night... This guy had a FX 4100 and a 9800 Gt i think and someone kept saying Latency was the issue.... But anyways

If i were this guy, i'd get off of crossfire and try a different card. SInce Crossfire has had a record of having Micro stuttering. SHoot before the new drivers from NVIDIA, my SLI got Micro Stuttering but i am still gonna upgrade because most upcoming games are gonna need Horse power and more Vram.

If everyone can just hang in for another 2 weeks for the Mid range cards to come out... BF3 seems to be a heavy hitter for GPU more than CPU... Infact if you ever go in a building and look out the window the map isn't loaded until you walk back outside. The game only seems to load what your looking at.

I have basically the same Hardware as redemption. Phenom II 980, Sabertooth 990FX, my cards are a little more performing but they are still are close..

Redemption77

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I assure you my BF3 is legit. Why spend 1,500 bucks plus on a gaming rig to steal $50 games. The ping situation makes sense. When I am in a 16 player match my performance is better (to be expected). My temps are pretty good too. I set my drivers profiles up before I play and I turn my fans on manual to about 60%. After 4 hours of play, my temps are only in the high 60's. I have thought about water cooling, but it costs allot to do it right. I can't seem to get the right temp reading on my CPU though. I know that is an issue with the mobo though.

Hold up....

Your Phenom II is running in the high 60s? Take your OC off, thats too hot, and that could be causing it to crap out and slow down.

Hwmonitor should give you an accurate read on your core temps, you should be idling around high 30s-low 40s and high 50s under load.

It is entirely possible that it is the correct readings, do you have the original heatsink assembly, or an aftermarket cooler? any higher than 3.7GHZ and I'd want an aftermarket cooler. It may be worthwhile to reseat the cooler with new thermal compound. I've had a board that made certain programs throw false temp readings, but the sabertooth is dead on for me.

Set it back.. Go into Ai Tweaker in bios, set the multiplier to 17 and the reference clock to 200. Thats stock. 17x 200=3.4GHZ

It should be if you switch the EUFI BIOS to advanced mode. OR you can Restore Defaults

But the AI tweaker in Advanced mode should look like this: In your case the CPU Ratio (multiplier) should be 17 and 200 CPU Bus frequency= 3.4GHZ
asus_sabertooth-990fx-1.png

No your CPU is not 3.7GHZ stock, it overclocks it to 3.9-4.0 when you hit the "Performance mode" on the EZ-Bios.

The stock settings for a Phenom II 980 are 3.7GHZ , this is achieved by an 18.5x multiplier setting, and its shipped with the same fan the 965s are shipped with, thats why I said I wouldn't go higher than that on a stock fan. Factory setting for 965 is 200 on the reference clock x 17 on the multiplier.

AS far as the aftermarket cooler, I would try to do a reapplication of the thermal compound and reseat the cooler, its possible you didn't get a good seat when you installed it. Just use a BB size drop on the center of the CPU and press the heatsink down to let it spread out, you don't have to worry about it, you dont need to cover the entire chip. Just be careful not to use too much, because you can get runoff.. (Standard disclaimer of course)

TRENDING THREADS