THIS is backwards compatability...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 17, 2005 10:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8880

"Tellingly, one of the key announced features of the Revolution is
nothing to do with next-generation games at all, but rather to do with
Nintendo's back catalogue - all of which will be playable on the new
system, right from the NES through to the N64 and the GameCube."

I have no idea how they're going to pull this off... There's no cart
slot at all so they must be doing it with emulation, does that mean
that they're going to re-release the entire back catalog of the NES,
SNES, N64 and Gamecube?!?! Maybe they'll let people download the games
they want and burn them to disc themselves?!?!?!

That's crazy talk...
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:29:56 PM

frankenstein_qwerty@yahoo.com wrote:

> Forget backwards compatibility. Games have always been less
> than we expect, a disapointment in a way. We're finally
> getting to the point that they can rival reality and we've got
> people clinging to the freakin' past. Forget it.

And yet, the ability to have a full library of NES an SNES games
available for play at an instant was one of the chief draws for
modding my Xbox.

--crymad
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

You inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Per Nintendo's pre-E3 press
conference, (as seen on G4 tonight), the Revolution is backwards compatible
"via download".

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8880
>Maybe they'll let people download the games
> they want and burn them to disc themselves?!?!?!
>
> That's crazy talk...

May 18, 2005 1:55:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8880
>
> "Tellingly, one of the key announced features of the Revolution is
> nothing to do with next-generation games at all, but rather to do with
> Nintendo's back catalogue - all of which will be playable on the new
> system, right from the NES through to the N64 and the GameCube."
>
> I have no idea how they're going to pull this off...
<snip>

Well, if you actually read the link you posted, you'd know.

"The console will boast 512MB of on-board flash memory storage which can be
expanded by the addition of industry standard SD memory cards. This storage
is expected to be used to store NES, SNES and N64 titles which can be
downloaded over the internet to the system, as well as for other purposes
which the firm has alluded to but not yet revealed."
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:53:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Hell ... you don't have to go to ebay to see that tons of folks sale games
... just go to EB, game stop, etc....

This Backwards comp caught on when we had nothing to do with a finished game
or one that had started to bore us .... But now retailers buy games back ...
basically the notion of BC is a throw back ... lots of gamers play and
resell anyway

<frankenstein_qwerty@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>........... There is this thing called ebay where you, after you've played
about a
> month or whatever, sell your game for almost as much as you gave to
> some poor soul in South Dakota who doesn't even have a freakin' walmart
> yet. And then you get another game and have fun, not
frustration...........
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:57:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8880
>
> "Tellingly, one of the key announced features of the Revolution is
> nothing to do with next-generation games at all, but rather to do with
> Nintendo's back catalogue - all of which will be playable on the new
> system, right from the NES through to the N64 and the GameCube."
>
> I have no idea how they're going to pull this off... There's no cart
> slot at all so they must be doing it with emulation, does that mean
> that they're going to re-release the entire back catalog of the NES,
> SNES, N64 and Gamecube?!?! Maybe they'll let people download the games
> they want and burn them to disc themselves?!?!?!
>
> That's crazy talk...

If you ever owned a ColecoVision, you'd understand how you can do it with
their 2600 adapter.

Just a controller adapter.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:11:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Jordan, my understanding is that the Revolution will be able to play
all Gamecube games. As for NES to N64, that will be via emulators.
The N64 games are already emulated on the Gamecube (see Zelda).

- Richard Hutnik
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:40:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Legally, Nintendo can only rerelease THEIR games for the Revolution,
right?

No Earthworm Jim; oh wait,
no Rock N' Roll Racing, sorry,
no Contra III, oops...

But we can get Super Mario 64, oops. And the N64 Zeldas; whoops,
that's been rereleased too.
And we can get Super Mario Thre...nevermind.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:26:23 PM

<artie5@aol.com> wrote in message
> Legally, Nintendo can only rerelease THEIR games for the Revolution,
> right?
>
> No Earthworm Jim; oh wait,
> no Rock N' Roll Racing, sorry,
> no Contra III, oops...
>
> But we can get Super Mario 64, oops. And the N64 Zeldas; whoops,
> that's been rereleased too.
> And we can get Super Mario Thre...nevermind.

It could very well mean Nintendo published titles too, they are charging for
this service tho... so there *could* be a financial benefit for other
companies to allow Nintendo to let them download their games.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:43:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

<frankenstein_qwerty@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Someone should do a study for the Japanese to let them know how long
> the average American is willing to play a game. I don't know anyone
> that playes the same game for over a month. If you do, then perhaps
> you need to find new friends. I realize a game like GT is an
> exception, but for the most part this is true. Who wants to know the
> guy who will be still dominating UC2 with his Lik-Sang mouse/keyboard
> in a year? Not me.

You sound kind of bitter, like backward compatibility is offensive to you
personally. Is it? Why? Have you convinced yourself that it hurts you
somehow? Or that you're paying for it when you don't use it? There are
arguments for that, sure, but at the end of the day you get to play great
games on any console, with or without it.

Now look at it from Nintendo's point of view. Those stupid little
controllers that hook up to your TV with old games on them are selling like
crazy--and none of them have Nintendo games on them. Nintendo has a ton of
popular old games available. So they're including the ability to play them
on their new console. I think they'll sell a lot of units based on that,
plus they can make a bit off each game sale if they want (I hope it's pocket
change, or they'll shoot themselves in the foot).
!