Installation of application INTERRUPTED!!! Any ideas?

Hi:
Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?
13 answers Last reply
More about installation application interrupted ideas

    Ensure you turn off your Antivirus software during the installation. Close any other open programs.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "CrazyinNJ" <CrazyinNJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7F0E86C-C46D-4276-8B3F-156EB826F949@microsoft.com...
    > Hi:
    > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?

    Thanks for the response. I even started in selective startup not loading any
    startup apps with still the same results. I am able to install other apps,
    but not Quicken. Now I can't re-install Quicken 2004 or install Quicken
    2005. Any other ideas that I could try?

    "CrazyinNJ" wrote:

    > Hi:
    > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?

    I am having the exact same error. After literally 1 hour with Quicken/Intuit
    they pointed me to Microsoft, saying it was something to do with SP2 and/or
    administrative rights or something else dealing with installation. So far MS
    hasn't been able to help, but I'm on the phone with them right now.

    By the way, after uninstalling Quicken 2004 and then trying to reinstall I
    get the same error.

    "CrazyinNJ" wrote:

    > Hi:
    > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?

    Ditto, I also did selective start. Also tried to reinstall 2004. And MS
    said "we don't know Quicken, so even if it is something to do with SP2 we
    wouldn't know what to do with it." And then they pointed me back to Intuit
    for tech support. AAAAGGGHHHH!

    "CrazyinNJ" wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. I even started in selective startup not loading any
    > startup apps with still the same results. I am able to install other apps,
    > but not Quicken. Now I can't re-install Quicken 2004 or install Quicken
    > 2005. Any other ideas that I could try?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    > > Ensure you turn off your Antivirus software during the installation. Close any other open programs.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > > http://www.dougknox.com
    > > --------------------------------
    > > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > > --------------------------------
    > > Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    > >
    > > "CrazyinNJ" <CrazyinNJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7F0E86C-C46D-4276-8B3F-156EB826F949@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi:
    > > > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > > > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > > > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > > > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?

    I was able to install on a different machine (a Dell laptop), but couldn't on
    my desktop (a Dell Dimension). Quicken said to contact Dell, because now it
    sounds like a hardware or registry issue, and they won't touch that. I
    haven't contacted Dell yet, but will.

    CrazyinNJ wrote:
    > Hi:
    > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and
    > everything seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard
    > finished, but indicated that installation was interrupted. I tried
    > everything (I think) with both Intuit and HP tech support to no
    > avail. Any ideas?

    Been a long time since I dealt with this, but it might be a problem with
    installshield compatibility with sp2. Is there an installshield error
    listed in event viewer? Error 1607 might be the culprit, but Google
    "installshield error" for many references, including more than a few
    relating to intuit.

    Thanks. There is no "error" that comes up...everything works fine until the
    progress bar gets to 100%, it says "Publishing Product Information", and
    then...poof, "Installation wizard was interrupted. Quicken was not
    installed."

    I do get an error 1607 but only if I try to install in Safe mode. I've
    tried the fixes, and they don't help - either in Safe or normal mode.

    Still frustrated.

    "Quaoar" wrote:

    > CrazyinNJ wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and
    > > everything seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard
    > > finished, but indicated that installation was interrupted. I tried
    > > everything (I think) with both Intuit and HP tech support to no
    > > avail. Any ideas?
    >
    > Been a long time since I dealt with this, but it might be a problem with
    > installshield compatibility with sp2. Is there an installshield error
    > listed in event viewer? Error 1607 might be the culprit, but Google
    > "installshield error" for many references, including more than a few
    > relating to intuit.

    I feel your pain!! This has been going on for two weeks now! I have been on
    the phone with Intuit twice and HP once for over SIX HOURS! Nothing they
    did, and they seemed to try everything worked so they referred me back to
    Microsoft! IT HAS TO BE A MICROSOFT ISSUE!! So, why can't they
    help?!?!?!?!?! I was able to install the accompanying Intuit software,
    educated investor and willmaker without issue! I was also able to load on my
    PC running 98SE without any trouble.

    I wish I had remembered about the system restore feature before the problem
    had elapsed three days which seems to be the timeframe.

    I am thinking of backing up all data and starting from a new slate. What
    else can we do?

    "WAB" wrote:

    > Thanks. There is no "error" that comes up...everything works fine until the
    > progress bar gets to 100%, it says "Publishing Product Information", and
    > then...poof, "Installation wizard was interrupted. Quicken was not
    > installed."
    >
    > I do get an error 1607 but only if I try to install in Safe mode. I've
    > tried the fixes, and they don't help - either in Safe or normal mode.
    >
    > Still frustrated.
    >

    > "Quaoar" wrote:
    >
    > > CrazyinNJ wrote:
    > > > Hi:
    > > > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and
    > > > everything seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard
    > > > finished, but indicated that installation was interrupted. I tried
    > > > everything (I think) with both Intuit and HP tech support to no
    > > > avail. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Been a long time since I dealt with this, but it might be a problem with
    > > installshield compatibility with sp2. Is there an installshield error
    > > listed in event viewer? Error 1607 might be the culprit, but Google
    > > "installshield error" for many references, including more than a few
    > > relating to intuit.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Quicken's "helpful" advice to me after about 2.5 hours was "reformat your
    hard drive and reinstall all software." Nice.

    I somehow found my way to the InstallShield Developer's Community newsgroup
    (don't ask how), and one post there had a possible, but very, very, very,
    very complicated solution (at least to someone of my abilities) - something
    about how some program installed in the past might have corrupted
    InstallShield, so all have to be uninstalled. I forwarded that on to a MS
    tech support person now involved in my case (yes, I actually have someone
    helping me through email!). He's been suggesting all sorts of things, none
    of which have worked and most of which are variations on themes already
    suggested by either Intuit or Dell (my PC manufacturer). If anything comes
    of this I'll be sure to post here.

    Only 1 week and counting for me.

    "CrazyinNJ" wrote:

    > I feel your pain!! This has been going on for two weeks now! I have been on
    > the phone with Intuit twice and HP once for over SIX HOURS! Nothing they
    > did, and they seemed to try everything worked so they referred me back to
    > Microsoft! IT HAS TO BE A MICROSOFT ISSUE!! So, why can't they
    > help?!?!?!?!?! I was able to install the accompanying Intuit software,
    > educated investor and willmaker without issue! I was also able to load on my
    > PC running 98SE without any trouble.
    >
    > I wish I had remembered about the system restore feature before the problem
    > had elapsed three days which seems to be the timeframe.
    >
    > I am thinking of backing up all data and starting from a new slate. What
    > else can we do?
    >
    > "WAB" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks. There is no "error" that comes up...everything works fine until the
    > > progress bar gets to 100%, it says "Publishing Product Information", and
    > > then...poof, "Installation wizard was interrupted. Quicken was not
    > > installed."
    > >
    > > I do get an error 1607 but only if I try to install in Safe mode. I've
    > > tried the fixes, and they don't help - either in Safe or normal mode.
    > >
    > > Still frustrated.

    > > > Been a long time since I dealt with this, but it might be a problem with
    > > > installshield compatibility with sp2. Is there an installshield error
    > > > listed in event viewer? Error 1607 might be the culprit, but Google
    > > > "installshield error" for many references, including more than a few
    > > > relating to intuit.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    SUCCESS!

    See below for instructions and information I received from Microsoft. I
    tried all steps listed, but only the uninstall SP2 step worked. It came down
    to what we all felt was obvious - a compatibility issue between Quicken and
    SP2. Get rid of SP2, and the problem goes away (but only certain
    configurations cause the problem, apparently, since I had no problem
    installing on my laptop, which also has SP2).

    Anyway, I've reported this to the MS tech support person helping me, as well
    as posted this on the InstallShield Developers Community board.

    After Quicken is successfully installed, you must reinstall SP2 (if you
    dare) - a time consuming process. But I did it, and all seems well so far.

    (Note - as previously reported here, this issue occurs with Quicken 2004 as
    well, at least for me and some others on this board.)

    Good luck!

    From Microsoft:
    "based on the detailed information you have provided, I have searched trough
    our internal database and found there is a compatible issue between Quicken
    2005 and SP2. From our customers' feedbacks, they cannot install Quicken 2005
    on systems with SP2 installed. The message they have encountered
    is just the same.

    I have then tested this issue on my side and found if we have SP2 installed
    on our computer, Quicken 2002 and later versions are able to get installed,
    but Quicken 2005 won't.

    At this point, since installing Quicken only depends on Windows Installer, I
    suggest we double-check the status of Windows Installer on your system.

    Step 1: Enable Windows Installer service
    ============
    1. Click Start, click Run and type "services.msc" (without the quotation
    mark) and click OK.
    2. Scroll down to the Windows Installer service on the right panel and
    double click it.
    3. Check if the above service is enabled on the General Tab. (If it has
    already been enabled, please disable and re-enable it.)

    Step 2: Check the Windows Installer service in Registry
    ============
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then
    click OK.
    3. Locate and click the following registry key:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]

    4. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click ImagePath.

    5. In the Edit String dialog box that appears, make sure that the string in
    the "Value data" box contains the correct path to the Msiexec.exe file. The
    following is the correct path, where <C> is the drive in which Windows XP is
    installed:

    <C>:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V

    If not, please reset it.

    6. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

    Step 3: Please temporarily remove any antivirus software such as Norton
    Antivirus or McAfee since they can cause similar issues as we have
    encountered.

    After performing these steps, if Quicken 2005 still cannot be installed, I
    suggest we remove SP2 from your computer and then install Quicken on your
    computer to test this issue again. After installing Quicken, let's upgrade
    your computer to SP2 again.

    To remove SP2, we can refer to the following steps:

    Use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel
    ==========
    1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click
    OK.
    2. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
    3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

    For more information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Article:

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];875350"

    "CrazyinNJ" wrote:

    > Hi:
    > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I would rather see microsoft fix their problem before I go through so much
    trouble. It's weird because if you check the directory everything is being
    installed but as soon as it gets hung up on 'publishing product information'
    it rolls back instantly. I tried compatibility mode hoping the the sp2
    problem would go away but the same thing happened. I wish I would of known
    service pack 2 wasn't finished before I installed it.

    "WAB" wrote:

> [...]
    > ==========
    > 1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click
    > OK.
    > 2. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
    > 3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove.
    > 4. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > For more information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base Article:
    >
    > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];875350"
    >
    > "CrazyinNJ" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi:
    > > Trying to upgrade from Quicken2004 to Quicken2005. Ran .exe and everything
    > > seemed to be going fine until InstallShield Wizard finished, but indicated
    > > that installation was interrupted. I tried everything (I think) with both
    > > Intuit and HP tech support to no avail. Any ideas?
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! I even brought it to local repair shop to
    see if they could figure anything out and, of course, they came up
    empty-handed, as well.

    Thanks!