Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Check this Build out, Want to improve it.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 19, 2012 4:58:38 PM

I have been searching, looking, improving, reading and analyzing ad i have multiples questions i need to know.

Here is what i got till now:

Motherboard: ASUS Deluxe Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V DELUXE Price: 274.99 and the ws what is the difference?

Processor: Intel i7-3770k waiting.

Graphic card: I can get it only in amazon and I can't find the asus ASUS GTX680-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card in the case I don't find it till the end of this month when the i7 3rd generation comes out, I would consider the idea of buying a 580.

In that case, there is a huge difference betwee 580 and 680? ASUS GTX580 DCII with 782MHz Factory Overclocked and Dual Fan DirectCU Fansink Video Card ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 or EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 015-P3-1580-ARor the 680 is the final selection?

SSD: I dont know the difference of some SSD's around. I chose the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive Price: 199.99. There is a better SSD? What about intels ssd?. Is there any advantage i can take with Mushkin over intel? What is the difference? Should I chose a 240gb version with my $3000 budget? Any advantage if I install the games there?

HDD: I chose the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Price:136.08 because there is no difference in money/performance relation.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit Price: 53, there is a better option in terms of performance?

PSU: XFX ATX 850 Power Supply Price: 122.75

Case: Nzxt Technologies Phantom with Green Trim (Green LED) Enthusiast Full Tower Case Price: 129.99 another suggestion?

Primary items price: $916.8 not incluiding GPU and processor.

Peripherals, monitor and other things:


External HD: Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive Price: 129.

DVD ROM Blue ray: Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Price: 56.26 there is another faster or better?

Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard Price: 46.91

Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse for PC Price: 133.60

Headset: Anyone here have gaming experience? I chose the Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound Price: 154.45 or is the Sennheiser 350 or 360a better option?

Should i add a sound card?

Razer Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Mat (Dark Grey) Price: 26.99

Monitor: LG D2342P-PN 23-Inch Widescreen Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor Price: 283.84. I want the ASUS VG23A seems like the best option but can't find it in amazon.

Secondary items price: $831.03

Total price: $1,747.82.

I'm planning to build it by my own, i never built a PC before, so what else do I need? As gum or screwdriver?

More about : check build improve

April 19, 2012 7:04:25 PM

I'll go down the list.

Motherboard: I'm sure the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 would be enough for your needs. You'd save like $100, too. It's a favorite (and the sucessor to the Extreme3 Gen3)

CPU: i5 to i7 doesn't have much of a difference in gaming. I'd go with the i5-3750k.

GPU: Are there other manufacturers besides ASUS that make the GTX 680 on Amazon? If so, MSI is great, Gigabyte is great, and Sapphire is great. Most others will do, as well. A 7870 would also be great.

Mushkin is fine as an SSD. Great choice.

Your PSU is terrible... chances are, it'll fail in the first three months. 850W is way too much, as well. I know you're going be uncomfortable with like a 600W (which would be enough), so here's a silver rated 750W with a great rating: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W:
http://www.amazon.com/PC-Power-Cooling-Performance-comp...

Case: Holy crap. That case is SO SEXY! I would totally stick with that case. If you have bad airflow, get some case fans. But that case is soooooo sexy. For $133? Great.

RAM: Yours is fine.. $8 overpriced, but fine. I'm assuming you're going for aesthetics, so it'll be compatible and it'll work with your build.

Secondary:

Keyboard: Nice
Mouse: WOW. Are you sure you need it? It's like really... really advanced. Some people (for example, me) would find it uncomfortable. Are you a professional gamer? This has WEIGHTS, for god's sake! However, if you're pro or something, then tell us... we'll have to change some stuff to allow for a higher-end system (for example, a 7870 would be too weak if you wanted to participate in actual tournaments)

Headset: Same as above... a little too much

Sound card: Same as above... I don't get why you would need one if you're not an audiophile.

Mouse mat: Why?

Monitor: Fine



Overall, the peripherals are WAY too fancy. Your actual build is fine (with improvements above). It really seems like you're throwing money at this thing... I'm sure you could save like $500 without sacrificing any performance.


m
0
l
April 19, 2012 8:36:26 PM

ddan49 said:
I'll go down the list.

Motherboard: I'm sure the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 would be enough for your needs. You'd save like $100, too. It's a favorite (and the sucessor to the Extreme3 Gen3)

CPU: i5 to i7 doesn't have much of a difference in gaming. I'd go with the i5-3750k.

GPU: Are there other manufacturers besides ASUS that make the GTX 680 on Amazon? If so, MSI is great, Gigabyte is great, and Sapphire is great. Most others will do, as well. A 7870 would also be great.

Mushkin is fine as an SSD. Great choice.

Your PSU is terrible... chances are, it'll fail in the first three months. 850W is way too much, as well. I know you're going be uncomfortable with like a 600W (which would be enough), so here's a silver rated 750W with a great rating: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W:
http://www.amazon.com/PC-Power-Cooling-Performance-comp...

Case: Holy crap. That case is SO SEXY! I would totally stick with that case. If you have bad airflow, get some case fans. But that case is soooooo sexy. For $133? Great.

RAM: Yours is fine.. $8 overpriced, but fine. I'm assuming you're going for aesthetics, so it'll be compatible and it'll work with your build.

Secondary:

Keyboard: Nice
Mouse: WOW. Are you sure you need it? It's like really... really advanced. Some people (for example, me) would find it uncomfortable. Are you a professional gamer? This has WEIGHTS, for god's sake! However, if you're pro or something, then tell us... we'll have to change some stuff to allow for a higher-end system (for example, a 7870 would be too weak if you wanted to participate in actual tournaments)

Headset: Same as above... a little too much

Sound card: Same as above... I don't get why you would need one if you're not an audiophile.

Mouse mat: Why?

Monitor: Fine



Overall, the peripherals are WAY too fancy. Your actual build is fine (with improvements above). It really seems like you're throwing money at this thing... I'm sure you could save like $500 without sacrificing any performance.


In chose that mobo because wi-fi go usb3.0 boost.

I'm planning to use autodesk programs and also video/photos editing, i7 could help me.

MSI will be my first option for a graphic card.

I will go for your suggestion in PSU but why that xfx is terrible?

I would like to know any types and brands of case fans. I want to keep the system cold. It will stay in a room with 70F°

I'm not a professional player but i want to play like one.

Btw, what is a audiophile? I will google. That mat would guarrante more precision for my mouse.

I want to discuss about a monitor, I WANT the ASUS VS23A but I can't find in amazon, how could i get that?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 8:43:43 PM

The XFX is terrible because it's not 80+ rated (which is really bad, trust me), it's overkill (850W is WAY too much), and it's not a very good company in general for PSUs (GPUs are fine, though loud). I'd really suggest the one I suggested (well... I guess that's obvious, isn't it ;)  ) because 750W is enough (actually, way more than what you need), it's silver rated, it's quiet, and it's rated very, very highly in all PSU reviewers (not newegg reviews or amazon reviews... actual reviewers like tomshardware). Trust me on this PSU... I'm sure someone in the PSU section of the forums can verify it if you want.

Types/brand of case fans: I don't know, to tell you the truth. I know more about quiet case fans than performance case fans. Don't replace stock fans because it's not really worth it... they aren't that bad.

A professional player plays through skill, not equipment. Trust me... that mouse and headset are a waste of money. Do you know what your hand measurements for a mouse are? Do you know what your weight preference is? If you don't know what I mean by that, then chances are you really don't need that mouse. It really won't improve your playing at all... in fact, it would probably be uncomfortable. Gear doesn't make skill.

Audiophiles are people that really really care about audio... sound quality is everything to them. If you can tell the difference, go ahead. Chances are you can't, though... if you don't know what that word means, you don't need a sound card. The sound will be great (and for gaming... I mean, all you're hearing is gunshots), and you won't be able to figure out the difference.

I have no idea on monitors... sorry :( 

The mouse mat... okay, really, the mouse mat isn't going to help anything. A typical mouse mat will not be worse than a $30 mouse mat. It really doesn't offer anything different... it's just a material.

m
0
l
April 19, 2012 8:59:05 PM

Quote:


The mouse mat... okay, really, the mouse mat isn't going to help anything. A typical mouse mat will not be worse than a $30 mouse mat. It really doesn't offer anything different... it's just a material.


Yeah I try not to get people to waste their money on useless accessories. Mouse mats haven't been needed since the mid '90's. As long as you have a flat surface you're fine.

Quote:
Types/brand of case fans: I don't know, to tell you the truth. I know more about quiet case fans than performance case fans. Don't replace stock fans because it's not really worth it... they aren't that bad.


You don't really need them - the Phantom includes plenty to begin with. I always suggest that people new to setting up an air cooling solution read this guide as it's extremely helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea....

Quote:
In that case, there is a huge difference betwee 580 and 680? ASUS GTX580 DCII with 782MHz Factory Overclocked and Dual Fan DirectCU Fansink Video Card ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 or EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 015-P3-1580-ARor the 680 is the final selection?


Compared to what's out now and the GPUs that are soon to be released - the 580 is a *MASSIVE* power hog - the 680 and 7950 / 7970 are far more energy efficient than previous models. The days of 1K+ PSUs are nearing an end.

Quote:
I'm planning to build it by my own, i never built a PC before, so what else do I need? As gum or screwdriver?


Just a good Philips head and a clean surface - that's all you need.

Quote:
Mouse: WOW. Are you sure you need it? It's like really... really advanced. Some people (for example, me) would find it uncomfortable. Are you a professional gamer? This has WEIGHTS, for god's sake! However, if you're pro or something, then tell us... we'll have to change some stuff to allow for a higher-end system (for example, a 7870 would be too weak if you wanted to participate in actual tournaments)


I completely agree that a $140 mouse is complete overkill unless you're like a professional or above-average game player.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 11:49:47 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:


The mouse mat... okay, really, the mouse mat isn't going to help anything. A typical mouse mat will not be worse than a $30 mouse mat. It really doesn't offer anything different... it's just a material.


Yeah I try not to get people to waste their money on useless accessories. Mouse mats haven't been needed since the mid '90's. As long as you have a flat surface you're fine.

Quote:
Types/brand of case fans: I don't know, to tell you the truth. I know more about quiet case fans than performance case fans. Don't replace stock fans because it's not really worth it... they aren't that bad.


You don't really need them - the Phantom includes plenty to begin with. I always suggest that people new to setting up an air cooling solution read this guide as it's extremely helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea....

Quote:
In that case, there is a huge difference betwee 580 and 680? ASUS GTX580 DCII with 782MHz Factory Overclocked and Dual Fan DirectCU Fansink Video Card ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 or EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 015-P3-1580-ARor the 680 is the final selection?


Compared to what's out now and the GPUs that are soon to be released - the 580 is a *MASSIVE* power hog - the 680 and 7950 / 7970 are far more energy efficient than previous models. The days of 1K+ PSUs are nearing an end.

Quote:
I'm planning to build it by my own, i never built a PC before, so what else do I need? As gum or screwdriver?


Just a good Philips head and a clean surface - that's all you need.

Quote:
Mouse: WOW. Are you sure you need it? It's like really... really advanced. Some people (for example, me) would find it uncomfortable. Are you a professional gamer? This has WEIGHTS, for god's sake! However, if you're pro or something, then tell us... we'll have to change some stuff to allow for a higher-end system (for example, a 7870 would be too weak if you wanted to participate in actual tournaments)


I completely agree that a $140 mouse is complete overkill unless you're like a professional or above-average game player.


I think I'm above the overage game player. I play Alliance of vailant arms, its a FPS game. I'm planning to record myself playing with FRAPS, and edit them with Sony Vegas. Also I would like to play Battlefield, I love FPS games.

I would change the mouse pad for another cheaper since I don't have a clean surface or anything as a mouse pad, I think it could guarrante more lifetime, precision and accuracy $9 is enough for this.

So, what about the GPU?

m
0
l
April 20, 2012 4:58:47 AM

Seiven said:
I think I'm above the overage game player. I play Alliance of vailant arms, its a FPS game. I'm planning to record myself playing with FRAPS, and edit them with Sony Vegas. Also I would like to play Battlefield, I love FPS games.

I would change the mouse pad for another cheaper since I don't have a clean surface or anything as a mouse pad, I think it could guarrante more lifetime, precision and accuracy $9 is enough for this.

So, what about the GPU?


Doesn't get much better than the 680 right now - the Radeon 7970 is also a good choice if you can't find the 680 in stock.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 5:42:30 AM

Did you say Wi-Fi ? This board is due to be released in a couple of weeks. It runs dual cards @ x16 & x16

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/intelz77/Z77-Extreme9.h...
ASRock Z77 Extreme9

2T2R WiFi + BT v4.0 + Wi-SB Box

Selected ASRock motherboards come with an exclusive WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n + BT v4.0 module that offers support for WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity standards and Bluetooth v4.0. WiFi module is an easy-to-use wireless local area network (WLAN) adapter to support WiFi function. Bluetooth v4.0 standard features Smart Ready technology that adds a whole new class of functionality into the mobile devices including Apple's most recent iPhone 4S. BT 4.0 also includes Low Energy Technology and ensures extraordinary low power consumption for PCs. The 2T2R WiFi solution sets up WiFi high speed standard and offers max link rate up to 300Mbps. Compared to other 1T1R WiFi motherboards with 150Mbps, ASRock 2T2R WiFi solution drives up to 2X faster speed than 1T1R ones.


http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?cat=News&ID=439 <----- A better look at that board.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 5:46:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Doesn't get much better than the 680 right now - the Radeon 7970 is also a good choice if you can't find the 680 in stock.


I would prefer nvidia GPU, is the 580 a good choise if i don't find the 680?
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 5:48:23 PM

Why_Me said:
Did you say Wi-Fi ? This board is due to be released in a couple of weeks. It runs dual cards @ x16 & x16

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/intelz77/Z77-Extreme9.h...
ASRock Z77 Extreme9

2T2R WiFi + BT v4.0 + Wi-SB Box

Selected ASRock motherboards come with an exclusive WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n + BT v4.0 module that offers support for WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity standards and Bluetooth v4.0. WiFi module is an easy-to-use wireless local area network (WLAN) adapter to support WiFi function. Bluetooth v4.0 standard features Smart Ready technology that adds a whole new class of functionality into the mobile devices including Apple's most recent iPhone 4S. BT 4.0 also includes Low Energy Technology and ensures extraordinary low power consumption for PCs. The 2T2R WiFi solution sets up WiFi high speed standard and offers max link rate up to 300Mbps. Compared to other 1T1R WiFi motherboards with 150Mbps, ASRock 2T2R WiFi solution drives up to 2X faster speed than 1T1R ones.


http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?cat=News&ID=439 <----- A better look at that board.



That motherboard is better than the asus one, what will be the estimated price?
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 5:50:01 PM

Seiven said:
I would prefer nvidia GPU, is the 580 a good choise if i don't find the 680?


The 580 was king about a year ago but compared to how energy efficient Keppler and the newer Radeon cards are, it's a massive power hog - you'll need a far larger PSU if you plan to go with any sort of 580. If you get a board with a DVI port you can run off the onboard video until the 680s are more widely available.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 7:08:05 PM

Seiven said:
That motherboard is better than the asus one, what will be the estimated price?

I'm going to guess somewhere around $280.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 10:04:37 PM

Just a question:

Why do you prefer NVidia? Atm, the AMD series is leading with 7850 and 7870 for the mid-range to high-mid-range markets. NVidia is still on top with the 680, but it's out of stock.

I wouldn't recommend the 580 for the same reasons g-unit1111 listed.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 11:46:04 PM

ddan49 said:
Just a question:

Why do you prefer NVidia? Atm, the AMD series is leading with 7850 and 7870 for the mid-range to high-mid-range markets. NVidia is still on top with the 680, but it's out of stock.

I wouldn't recommend the 580 for the same reasons g-unit1111 listed.



Because the 3d vision and 3d effects.
m
0
l
April 21, 2012 12:22:27 AM

Okay. I'd try for the 680 as much as possible. The high midrange ones aren't released yet.
m
0
l
!