Looking for feedback on new system

mtycholaz

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Here's the list of the system I'm putting together. Most of the components I've already picked up, but I do have until next week to exchange them for something else. The last computer I built features a Radeon x800, AMD X2 dual core, 3GB ram, and ASUS A8V Deluxe mother board. Last hardware update I did was in 2005/2006 for a new CPU. I forced Windows 7 onto my poor unsupported hardware, which surprisingly, worked pretty ok. This machine is now just too old, loud, and dirty to use anymore. Now it's time for a new machine, and here is what I have already.

For my new machine, I'm building it to last another 7+ years. Since I'm nearly driven mad with noise and dust, I want this machine to be quiet and clean. I'm not huge into overclocking, but I do plan try it out. At least once. Here's the list:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition case
- I've never spend good money on a case before. I got this open box and I'm loving it so far. It's a monster compared to my old case. Lots of room and LCS ready!
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
- This was a tough choice. Originally I was going to pick up the ASUS P8Z77 Deluxe, however, the improved Thermal Armor, Heat Radar, Dust Defender, and military grade components caught my attention. All that with a 5 year warranty. The Deluxe does seem like a better board, but has features I just don't think I'd use (BlueTooth, Dual band WiFi, extra USB slots, etc). If anyone has an opinion on this I'd love to hear it.
eVGA GeForce 680 SC
- I've been loyal to ATI for some time now. I've been quite happy with my x800 and my 8500 before that. I wouldn't mind checking out what NVidia has to offer, just to switch it up.
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD
- After reading TomsHardware reviews on SSD's, this drive seemed like the best to get. I managed to get it for nearly $1 a GB. This will run the main OS and programs.
2x WD 1TB Caviar Black
- These will be for storage in a Raid array. Probably pick up another one for Raid 5. Caviar Black series seemed like the most reliable out of the whole family. 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either.
AX650 Power Supply
- Recommended by the MemoryExpress guy. Should do the trick.
2x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
- Picked these bad boys up with 30% off. Later I plan to pick a third one up and mount all three with this.
BH12 Super Multi Blue
- I don't have a Blu-Ray player so it'll be nice to finally be able to watch movies now.
GSKILL RipjawX Series 16GB
- Start with 16GB, and upgrade to 32GB later. Still need to pick this up
Intel Ivy Bridge i7 Quad core
- Waiting until next Monday for prices and availability.
Some CPU cooler.
- Not sure what I'll be needing for this. Since Ivy bridge isn't yet out, I'm holding off on this. I did have my eye watching this monster.

That's it so far. Still need new speakers ($100 ish? 5.1? Logitech?) and I'm playing around with idea of water cooling this summer. I think the only thing I can bring over from my old system is the DVD Burner. Maybe a HDD. Love to hear feedback on maybe what some of you would change or add. Total price tag comes around $3000 ish.

You sound well informed and wise. Good build, If you wanted to go ahead and Build it without ivy you'd still be set. a 2600K or 2700k will handle anything on the planet right now, If you want a 1155 Six core you can grab one now and not upgrade for another few years. But ivy won't be out for atleast another 2 weeks. And when it does come, You may wanna be ready because you probably the 100th person i've talked to getting a Ivy Bridge CPU

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Wow, that's a monster build. I'll sort through it as best I can.
-First advice is to do a price check on sites like ncix.ca. They are another big canadian distributor.
-Second, keep in mind that by getting the Sabertooth, you'll need to buy 1 or 2 50MM fans to blow air underneath the armor. Without these fans, mobo temps are actually HIGHER than with a plain board.
-your hard drvies are a little expensive. With a 240GB SSD, you'll have most of the high speed data locked down. A pair of cheaper 5400RPM drives might not be a terrible idea.
-That GPU price is a little high. Factory OC is kinda useless, since you can achieve the same results in 20 minutes. http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=69799&vpn=02G%2DP4%2D2680%2DKR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1067
-Your PSU needs an upgrade IMO. If you ever want to get an additional 680, 54a is a little low. I'd like to see at least 60. This OCZ ZT 750 is a great price for a great PSU (and a 5 year warranty) and gets you to 62a. For $10 more than the AX650, the HX750 can be had: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX24570 Giving you 60a. Again the AX650 would probably be fine, I'd just like to see a bit more personally.
-You'll only need a CPU cooler like that if you wanna push 5GHz on air. If you won't be OCing to hell in back, there's cheaper options available.

Well that's about it! You did one hell of a job picking parts, quite excellent. This will be a beast of a rig for sure :)

striker410

Distinguished

Stricly speaking, a 650w WOULD power a GTX 680 SLI system with a fair amount of headroom: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-sli-review/4
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_680_SLI/21.html
Pulls under 500w at max. That said I do suggest a 750w for OCing and capacitor aging headroom.

g-unit1111

Titan
I seriously hate the Asus plastic cover motherboard, I'd go for the P8Z77 Deluxe myself. That "military grade components" label is total BS - MSI gets away with that and their motherboards are far more likely to fail than anything else.

As far as PSU goes - I definitely agree with Why_Me on this one - anyone who says a 650 can run dual 680s is most likely full of crap and doesn't know what they're talking about. I'd get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

If I had that kind of money to spend on a PC here's what I would get if you want suggestions:

Case: NZXT Switch 810 - $169.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950 - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $319.99
CPU: 3.2GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $599.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Socket LGA 2011 Edition - $95.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - $119.99
SSD: 128GB Plextor PX-M3 - $149.99
HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $129.99
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor - $199.99

Total: $2,654.88

mtycholaz

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Taking your advice I did go back to upgrade the power supply to an Corsair 850W. I didn't originally plan on using dual GTX 680's in SLI right now, however you guys are right that the 650 wouldn't give me much room for upgrading.

Thanks again!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the new 680s are a lot more energy efficient - you won't need a 1K+ PSU anymore but something around the 850 - 950W will be in the ideal range you want. Just make sure what you buy is certified and rated 80+ bronze or better (silver, gold, or platinum would be ideal).