Why FPS go down

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2012 5:19:23 PM

I hv seen FPS sometimes dropping on the same sequence of game when replayed. Any idea what could be the reason. I hv a hexacore with GTX 460.

Also, my FPS never goes up 60...is that a limit set up by graphic card.. ? hw can we bypass it ?

More about : fps

Best solution

a c 254 U Graphics card
February 11, 2012 5:33:00 PM

A graphics card will not have a fps limit but a game will be capped at a certian fps. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is capped at 91fps as an example and I have three GTX 580's and can't get over 91 fps in that game but in BF3 it goes up over 150fps. Are you getting the fps restriction on only one game or several? What games are you playing?
A GTX 460 is not a top model card so you aren't going to get a lot of games where you are going to be going up to 60fps and over.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2012 6:01:56 PM

If it is never going above 30, or above 60. Make sure Vsync is turned off.

V sync will limit your FPS.

PS: Is it weird that I find MOST of my games limited to 39-41 FPS regardless of high or low graphics settings; is this most likely a driver issue. (it happens regardless of DX version or graphics settings)
m
l
Related resources
a c 241 U Graphics card
February 11, 2012 6:10:41 PM

Unlike a static benchmark, in a game, no two frames are the same and each presents a different load on a computer ... so fps goes up and down depending on the load.

As you can see here, BF3 goes from about 42 to 72 fps over the 120 timed demo

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1394/pg5/his-rade...
m
l
February 18, 2012 12:36:47 AM

Best answer selected by asheesh1_2000.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 1:15:45 AM

bobusboy said:
If it is never going above 30, or above 60. Make sure Vsync is turned off.

V sync will limit your FPS.

PS: Is it weird that I find MOST of my games limited to 39-41 FPS regardless of high or low graphics settings; is this most likely a driver issue. (it happens regardless of DX version or graphics settings)

This might be a sign of having a CPU bottleneck.
m
l
!