Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading i7-930 Build

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2012 5:22:14 PM

This was my first computer build done roughly 2 years ago. I wanted to do something different at the time and I got a lot of insight from browsing this forum. The system still runs great and I have yet to run into any major problems requiring a complete re-do. I would appreciate it if you guys could analyze what I have here and recommend any worthwhile upgrades that I could benefit from. I am comfortable with a $500 upgrade at the moment but I am flexible if you can justify the need to upgrade beyond that price point. I use this system primarily for gaming and video/photo editing.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
Case: Silverstone Fortress Series FT02B-W Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8 GHz LGA 1366
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked 1536 MB DDR5 (Zalman VF3000F Cooler)
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline Frostbyte 6 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366
Cooler: Corsair H50 Cooling Hydro Series
SSD: Corsair 128 GB Nova Series
HDD: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
PSU: Corsair 750TX Series 80 Plus
Optical: Sony Nec Optiarc AD-7241S-0B

I definitely want to change my Optical so please make a recommendation for that. I do not watch blueray on my desktop so that is not a must.

More about : upgrading 930 build

a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2012 5:55:31 PM

Honestly, All you really need is a Graphics upgrade, the GTX 680 is a bit over priced for your needs but its worth the buy if its all you need right now. if the I7 930 is doing all you need then just upgrade the graphics card and maybe a extra stick of RAM. But if you absolutely want or need a upgrade. Get Z77 motherboard, Ivy I7, GTX 680 or the 670 when it gets here. and 8Gb or ram. Just re-nstall windows and such and keep your Hard Drives
m
l
April 20, 2012 12:34:50 AM

My card does run hot which is why I had to upgrade the fans. I'm not experienced with liquid cooling and I've yet to attempt one. I will definitely consider the 680 and additional memory. Do I need to get rid of my current mushkins and buy a 12g kit (they are very cheap nowadays) or how would you recommend I make the upgrade. Please recommend a good type if you prefer I get a new kit.
m
l
May 25, 2012 10:07:40 PM

Similar build to my computer that I am mid upgrade.

Bought a Corsair H100 for overclocking the i7 930

Added a Velocity solo pci-e ssd card. (Loving it. I had a root kit and reinstalled windows and updated, on a old 80G hard drive, then
used the included Apricorn cloning software. The old hard drive will sit unconnected in the pc.)

6850 (not a gamer but 6850's are pretty cheap these days.....)

6x4G ram modules and going to run a ram disk. 12-16G

OCZ Revo 3x2 ssd drive (and reuse the 120G ssd for the windows swapfile)

I figure everything done here, will be portable to the next pc, which would be an eight ram slot mobo (if the ram disk proves worthy).

m
l
!