CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I have a watercooled HD Diamond 6990 running Eyefinity 3x1920x1200 at 6016x1200 with bezel compensation.

955 Phenom II (sometimes OC'd to 3.7) w/ Koolance CPU-370
8Gb DDR3 Corsair @ 1600Mhz
M4A79t Deluxe
Diamond 6990 (OC not finalized) w/ EK Nickel+Acetal
Windows 7 64x

I'm noticing very slight (but noticeable) screen tearing in games. For example, in Crysis I can see it around the gun when firing with an automatic weapon. This could POTENTIALLY be tolerable but for the money I've put into this system, why settle for anything less than excellent?

And the performance is, by the way, INCREDIBLE. Temps are very good (<10 delta).

The screen tearing appears with V-sync (in game and/or catalyst AI), with or without overclocking, and regardless of other AI / in-game options.

BUT, it does NOT appear when games are in windowed mode. Last resort would be figuring out how (if possible) to play in windowed mode without the borders/bars.

Interestingly, the screen tearing is not always just 1 line as tearing usually is. It does not always occur across the whole frame (as in Crysis) but does not differentiate between screens (as in tearing due to the DVI+DP glitch with other 6xxx cards). It often appears as two lines close together or lines like this:

If necessary, I could try capturing video in a few days (big midterm on Monday).

I'm considering trying a framerate cap.

The tearing is not very prevalent during regular play other than very fast motion (shooting) or, for some reason, along mountain surfaces in Just Cause 2.

My current hypothesis is that this has something to due with the dual-GPU nature of the 6990. So I guess I'll try to find a way to shutoff one of the GPUs to see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas? Solutions?

Thanks a lot. This card is so awesome that I hate to see a tiny annoyance like this throw a wrench in the whole experience.

I do not know what is causing it, but I'm going to guess it's crossfire related due to window mode stopping it. In windowed mode, crossfire does not function, so you are running off only 1 of your GPU's.

Perhaps you can check into the CAP profiles.

EDIT:
It also could just be a matter of having more FPS than without crossfire which increase the likelihood of tearing (if that is truly what it is). Going into windowed mode lowers FPS, so you have less tearing. This assumes that v-sync isn't working.

In the game settings have you tried the setting sync every frame and see if that makes a difference? I am not running three monitors so I'm not sure if you can use that setting with three monitors.
Have you tried the 1080 resolution instead of the 1200?

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Bystander: Sounds like I need to look into framerate limiters. That'd be cool if the problem is that I have too MANY frames and need to hold back. I'll also check out CAP profiles. Hadn't heard of them before.

Inzone: Like I already said, "sync every frame," or V-sync, is already enabled everywhere. I could try 6016x1080 but I don't know why that would change anything. Also not a permanent solution because I want to play at full native resolution.

Run FRAPS to confirm your frame rate.

If you aren't getting a solid FPS (usually 60FPS) then VSYNC isn't working. Even if VSYNC is enabled, if the game runs LOWER than 60FPS it can't work.

RadeonPro is a great tool. Some people have had success forcing on Triple Buffering under tweaks.

Some monitors support 50Hz at 1920x1080 for example. I have games that run at about 54FPS average so I can synch to 50FPS by typing this number into RadeonPro.

Of course it could be an EyeFinity issue.