Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick question about server hardware/software

Last response: in Components
August 1, 2012 5:56:21 PM

I recently built a server, and realized quickly that I didn't really need one, and would rather use the case for a moderate gaming computer. This of course means swapping out motherboard and cpu because they are really great for a server, but not for a gaming pc. My question is, if I sold these, could I sell the copy of Windows Server that I had installed on there as well? Would it allow the person who buys them to activate it? I know it is registered to that hardware setup, I just figured selling the OS with these components would sweeten the deal for anyone wanting to build themselves a server pc.

Best solution

Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:02:37 PM

it sounds reasonable and legal. though i am not sure about having the operating system as a separate cost but "added in" to the cost of the motherboard.
August 1, 2012 6:05:59 PM

Oh yeah, it would all be sold as a package, is that what you meant? If not please explain
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:07:28 PM

yes, that is exactly as i meant it.
m
l
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:14:23 PM

the board is $61 on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-H61M-P25-B3-MicroATX-Motherbo...
with a $50 OS and a $55 chip is $166

you may get a bite around $110 but might need to go under $100. depends who is interested and where you are trying to sell it; word of mouth, craig's list, ect.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:19:42 PM

Yeah that's in the ballpark of what I was gonna ask. It is less than a month old so its still in great condition. Well I do appreciate your help with this, as soon as I get the other stuff ordered I will be trying to get all of this stuff outta here
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:37:27 PM

Best answer selected by carowden.
m
l
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:41:25 PM

good luck and see you around :) 
m
l
!