Psu question

malekhaver

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
hi there im wondering if a 750 watt corsair tx series will be enough to power my comp the specs are

AMD sapphire HD 7970 GPU

gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H mobo

intel core i-5 2500k 3.3Ghz CPU

coolermaster hafX full tower case

500g seagate HDD

8Gb corsair vengeance blue RAM

will all this run smoothly on a 750watt supply or will i have to go hgiher?

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
650W is ideal for that system but if you plan on adding another graphics card in the future for SLI/crossfire 650 won't really be enough, 750 or even 850 would be better for SLI/crossfire.

I love the Corsair TX series but the next time I will buy an HX series because of the modularity. Hope that helps!

malekhaver

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
thanks for your answers guys i got it set up and running but now for some reason when i hook it up to my hdtv via hdmi it doesnt show a picture :/ i dont have a monitor yet so i really have no idea what the problem is do i need drivers or something?

malekhaver

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

i plugged the hdmi into my gpu but it didnt show anything i dont think my gpu is dead because the fan still runs without a prob but i removed it and plugged the hdmi directly into my mobo and it worked but now for some reason whenever i try to enter the bios it just gives me a black screen

faztazfuk613

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Just make sure the PSU has enough pins to fit the Mb I believe the standard is 26pin? and also make sure you have enough 6 pin cables to power the gpu, other than that you should be fine. so just go on a site like tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and check out various psu's and make sure they have enough cables to fit all your components.

suteck

Distinguished
Yes, it does need drivers but if you just built the system and have everything plugged in including the power connectors for the video card AND the other 4 pin power connector behind the onboard vid connector on the motherboard then it should use bios basic drivers to get you up to the boot from cd screen to install windows. Then windows basic drivers will run until you get a chance to install the recommended drivers for your video card. You can try using the onboard video connectors and see if you get video that way since it also has an HDMI connector. If you have a dvi connector you might should try that also just in case it's the hdmi connector itself.

If you turn your system on and after about 1 min when you turn it off does it go off immediately or does it take about 5/6 secs before it turns off? If it turns off instantly it's either not getting into bios or it's in bios and it's waiting on a response from you. (If you have a blank empty hdd and hit any key when it seems to stop responding from initial start up does the cd/dvd installation disk start to spin up to load windows? and still can't see it?) If it does then your just not getting the video feed. (clarkjd asked if you have your tv set to the HDMI feed you're using for the computer? I would double check that before ANYTHING else) If after you've tried all that and you're still not getting anywhere then I suggest you click on and follow the link under my CPU-z banner and don't skip any of the steps and you might find the solution there.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Modern PSU main power connectors are either "20+4" or 24 pin.

Any modern 650 watt PSU will have all of the necessary power connectors.