First E3 Impressions

After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen anything for
it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games don't look that much
better than what the Xbox can do, and there's nothing that looks like a
killer app yet. Kameo is really disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero was
non existant, and Dead or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3. Gears
of war looked kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up with Xbox
360 if they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would definitely sell
me on one.

PS3 stats were extremely impressive and in that regard, I'm very hyped about
it. The tech demos were cool, but we can't rely on those as true signs of
what games will look like. If PS3's software can match it's technical specs,
then PS3 is going to be incredible.

Nintendo's Revolution sounds promising, but theres not enough info on it to
make an accurate opinion about it. There GBA micro looked cool, but that is
simply a novelty product. The DS software such as Nintendogs and Electro
plankton looks cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I have no interest
in playing either of them. The new trailer for Zelda looked absolutlely
awesome, and so far that is what has excited me the most at E3 so far.

RnR Lesnar

On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:32:29 -0500, "RnR Lesnar"
<rnrcartmnospaman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen anything for
>it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games don't look that much
>better than what the Xbox can do, and there's nothing that looks like a
>killer app yet. Kameo is really disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero was
>non existant, and Dead or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3. Gears
>of war looked kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up with Xbox
>360 if they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would definitely sell
>me on one.
>
>PS3 stats were extremely impressive and in that regard, I'm very hyped about
>it. The tech demos were cool, but we can't rely on those as true signs of
>what games will look like. If PS3's software can match it's technical specs,
>then PS3 is going to be incredible.
>
>Nintendo's Revolution sounds promising, but theres not enough info on it to
>make an accurate opinion about it. There GBA micro looked cool, but that is
>simply a novelty product. The DS software such as Nintendogs and Electro
>plankton looks cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I have no interest
>in playing either of them. The new trailer for Zelda looked absolutlely
>awesome, and so far that is what has excited me the most at E3 so far.
>
>RnR Lesnar

I've been underwhelmed with most of what has been shown for the 360.
Despite not having final dev kits, I still expected most of the games
to look much better and be farther along. MS really needs to hire
some people who know how to properly hype a product. If MS knew that
the software was this rough, they would have been better off showing
mostly prerendered stuff. Even if it's obviously prerendered like
Killzone 3 for the PS3, it still created a buzz and made what was a
mediocre ps2 game into one of the most anticipated next gen games.

The fact that MS appeared to have been be caught off guard by the
Perfect Dark Zero backlash shows just how much they need to learn
before they have a realistic chance to knock Sony from the number one
spot.

Nintendo, is well Nintendo. In my opinion they missed a golden
opportunity to grab some of the next gen mind share. Why even bother
to show the system but no games? I like Nintendo and as a long time
gamer, I'll always have a soft spot for them but they are in danger
of becoming a footnote. They debut a pretty slick looking system in
the Revolution that at least shows they're making an attempt at the
older gamer, but then they spend the rest of their conference showing
stuff like Nintendogs. I just don't get it.

Nintendo had no reason not to show a tech demo at least. If they had just
made some kind of Super Mario demo, that would have really gotten people
excited.

RnR Lesnar

Imperium wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:32:29 -0500, "RnR Lesnar"
> <rnrcartmnospaman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen anything for
>>it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games don't look that much
>>better than what the Xbox can do, and there's nothing that looks like a
>>killer app yet. Kameo is really disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero was
>>non existant, and Dead or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3. Gears
>>of war looked kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up with Xbox
>>360 if they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would definitely sell
>>me on one.
>>
>>PS3 stats were extremely impressive and in that regard, I'm very hyped about
>>it. The tech demos were cool, but we can't rely on those as true signs of
>>what games will look like. If PS3's software can match it's technical specs,
>>then PS3 is going to be incredible.
>>
>>Nintendo's Revolution sounds promising, but theres not enough info on it to
>>make an accurate opinion about it. There GBA micro looked cool, but that is
>>simply a novelty product. The DS software such as Nintendogs and Electro
>>plankton looks cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I have no interest
>>in playing either of them. The new trailer for Zelda looked absolutlely
>>awesome, and so far that is what has excited me the most at E3 so far.
>>
>>RnR Lesnar
>>

> I've been underwhelmed with most of what has been shown for the 360.
> Despite not having final dev kits, I still expected most of the games
> to look much better and be farther along. MS really needs to hire
> some people who know how to properly hype a product. If MS knew that
> the software was this rough, they would have been better off showing
> mostly prerendered stuff. Even if it's obviously prerendered like
> Killzone 3 for the PS3, it still created a buzz and made what was a
> mediocre ps2 game into one of the most anticipated next gen games.
>
> The fact that MS appeared to have been be caught off guard by the
> Perfect Dark Zero backlash shows just how much they need to learn
> before they have a realistic chance to knock Sony from the number one
> spot.
>
> Nintendo, is well Nintendo. In my opinion they missed a golden
> opportunity to grab some of the next gen mind share. Why even bother
> to show the system but no games? I like Nintendo and as a long time
> gamer, I'll always have a soft spot for them but they are in danger
> of becoming a footnote. They debut a pretty slick looking system in
> the Revolution that at least shows they're making an attempt at the
> older gamer, but then they spend the rest of their conference showing
> stuff like Nintendogs. I just don't get it.

Totally agree about Ninitendo...they dropped the ball, BIG TIME!! Looks
like they will remain a secondary system with a niche appeal.

RnR Lesnar wrote:
> After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen
> anything for it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games
> don't look that much better than what the Xbox can do, and there's
> nothing that looks like a killer app yet. Kameo is really
> disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero was non existant, and Dead
> or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3. Gears of war looked
> kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up with Xbox 360 if
> they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would definitely sell
> me on one.

I really didn't think the Xbox graphics were that great to begin with when
it was announced. Now I do, remember these are not finished products. I
don't think Perfect Dark Zero is going to be a launch title.

"RnR Lesnar" <rnrcartmnospaman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen anything for
> it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games don't look that much
> better than what the Xbox can do, and there's nothing that looks like a
> killer app yet. Kameo is really disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero
> was non existant, and Dead or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3.
> Gears of war looked kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up
> with Xbox 360 if they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would
> definitely sell me on one.
>
> PS3 stats were extremely impressive and in that regard, I'm very hyped
> about it. The tech demos were cool, but we can't rely on those as true
> signs of what games will look like. If PS3's software can match it's
> technical specs, then PS3 is going to be incredible.
>
> Nintendo's Revolution sounds promising, but theres not enough info on it
> to make an accurate opinion about it. There GBA micro looked cool, but
> that is simply a novelty product. The DS software such as Nintendogs and
> Electro plankton looks cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I have no
> interest in playing either of them. The new trailer for Zelda looked
> absolutlely awesome, and so far that is what has excited me the most at E3
> so far.
>
> RnR Lesnar

Although the specs were more on show for the PS3, Xbox did a great job of
showing off the interface and Live capabilities. If Online Gaming is the
key to next generation success then Xbox 360 at E3 was right on the mark.

robin

Have to agree with you.
PS3 have by far outshined the competition with
much more exciting trailers and games.
I too have not seen anything that makes me
want an xbox360 yet....
But I am starting to get that feeling of wanting a PS3!
Right now though I'll stick with my xbox...
Come on GTA:San Andreas....just a couple of weeks!

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "RnR Lesnar" <rnrcartmnospaman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen anything
>> for it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games don't look that
>> much better than what the Xbox can do, and there's nothing that looks
>> like a killer app yet. Kameo is really disappointing looking, Perfect
>> Dark Zero was non existant, and Dead or Alive looked just a small step
>> above DOA 3. Gears of war looked kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs
>> to step it up with Xbox 360 if they expect it to do well. A high def Halo
>> 2.5 would definitely sell me on one.
>>
>> PS3 stats were extremely impressive and in that regard, I'm very hyped
>> about it. The tech demos were cool, but we can't rely on those as true
>> signs of what games will look like. If PS3's software can match it's
>> technical specs, then PS3 is going to be incredible.
>>
>> Nintendo's Revolution sounds promising, but theres not enough info on it
>> to make an accurate opinion about it. There GBA micro looked cool, but
>> that is simply a novelty product. The DS software such as Nintendogs and
>> Electro plankton looks cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I have no
>> interest in playing either of them. The new trailer for Zelda looked
>> absolutlely awesome, and so far that is what has excited me the most at
>> E3 so far.
>>
>> RnR Lesnar
>>

> Although the specs were more on show for the PS3, Xbox did a great job of
> showing off the interface and Live capabilities. If Online Gaming is the
> key to next generation success then Xbox 360 at E3 was right on the mark.

Not really, unless you want to buy T-Shirts designed by some girl. I forgot
the name they used in the press conference. All that stuff is extra fluff
that doesnt appeal to real gamers. As long as they keep up the stellar Xbox
live system they have in place, that will be great.

RnR Lesnar

In article <jJWdnW8kO4PVWRbfRVn-vA@giganews.com>,
Hank the Rapper <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>RnR Lesnar wrote:
>> After today, I think Xbox 360's stock dropped. I haven't seen
>> anything for it that makes me want to buy one at launch. The games
>> don't look that much better than what the Xbox can do, and there's
>> nothing that looks like a killer app yet. Kameo is really
>> disappointing looking, Perfect Dark Zero was non existant, and Dead
>> or Alive looked just a small step above DOA 3. Gears of war looked
>> kind of cool though. Overall, MS needs to step it up with Xbox 360 if
>> they expect it to do well. A high def Halo 2.5 would definitely sell
>> me on one.
>
>I really didn't think the Xbox graphics were that great to begin with when
>it was announced. Now I do, remember these are not finished products. I
>don't think Perfect Dark Zero is going to be a launch title.

Well, Microsoft has said that Perfect Dark Zero along with Kameo are
supposed to be released in the 'launch window' which is the first 3
months of release. Of course, knowing Rare, that means that Kameo
will probably come out in Summer 2006 and Perfect Dark will come out
in 2007.

Vin

Vineet Gossain wrote:

> Well, Microsoft has said that Perfect Dark Zero along with Kameo are
> supposed to be released in the 'launch window' which is the first 3
> months of release. Of course, knowing Rare, that means that Kameo
> will probably come out in Summer 2006 and Perfect Dark will come out
> in 2007.

That's why I doubt it would be a launch title. ;)

"robin" <robinconnolly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have to agree with you.
> PS3 have by far outshined the competition with
> much more exciting trailers and games.
> I too have not seen anything that makes me
> want an xbox360 yet....
> But I am starting to get that feeling of wanting a PS3!
> Right now though I'll stick with my xbox...
> Come on GTA:San Andreas....just a couple of weeks!

Don't get me wrong, I think what Xbox are doing with the Live Community is
amazing and something that I am really excited about and may allow Xbox to
continue as my favourite console, although I still intend to purchase a PS3
as well (I may even get a Nintendo Revolution if only for the back
catalogue!!).

If market analysis is correct, it will be years before the full potential of
any Next Generation is met so system performance at launch and will be
irrelevant......... for me its the launch games and Online environment that
will drive the console that takes pride of place in my living room as
opposed to the one that will get stuck in the kids room...............
although in saying that I just bought a new TV that has seven AV ports so
I'm in a win win ....... 'win' situation as long these manufacturers (MS,
Sony & Nintendo) fight it out!!

> Not really, unless you want to buy T-Shirts designed by some girl. I
> forgot the name they used in the press conference. All that stuff is extra
> fluff that doesnt appeal to real gamers. As long as they keep up the
> stellar Xbox live system they have in place, that will be great.
>
> RnR Lesnar

Thats the thing, the market place is not necessarily for the gamers but
another stream to get other demographics onto Xbox.

As for the other stuff being fluff........ you obviously have not seen all
the details:

- Four different Game centres so you can play in the one that suits you
(Family, Pro, etc)
- A Gamercard that covers across all games
- Achievements, will allow you to receive recognition for achievements in
various games. This is great for identifying people who have overcome an
obstacle in a game that you are struggling with...... allowing you to ask
for help.
- Videochat within the game (nuff said)
- Spectator......... we can al enjoy the final of the Halo Championships!!

Now seriously, you cannot call that fluff that doesn't appeal to real
gamers........................

> "RnR Lesnar" <rnrcartmnospaman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not really, unless you want to buy T-Shirts designed by some girl. I
>> forgot the name they used in the press conference. All that stuff is
>> extra fluff that doesnt appeal to real gamers. As long as they keep up
>> the stellar Xbox live system they have in place, that will be great.
>>
>> RnR Lesnar
>>
> Thats the thing, the market place is not necessarily for the gamers but
> another stream to get other demographics onto Xbox.
>
> As for the other stuff being fluff........ you obviously have not seen all
> the details:
>
> - Four different Game centres so you can play in the one that suits you
> (Family, Pro, etc)
> - A Gamercard that covers across all games
> - Achievements, will allow you to receive recognition for achievements in
> various games. This is great for identifying people who have overcome an
> obstacle in a game that you are struggling with...... allowing you to ask
> for help.
> - Videochat within the game (nuff said)
> - Spectator......... we can al enjoy the final of the Halo Championships!!
>

> Now seriously, you cannot call that fluff that doesn't appeal to real

I wasn't aware about that, and that stuff sounds cool.

RnR Lesnar