Re-using Windows 7 Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryJamaul

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hey, this might be a dumb question but I was just wondering, If I make a new build and wipe my old failing hard drive and replace it with an SSD, can I re-use my old Win 7 64bit OEM license, or am I going to run into issues and need to buy a new license?

Solution

OEM means you can only use it on the machine you purchased the software for, which is why it is much cheaper to buy OEM than to buy a retail copy of Windows. So for OEMs yes you can only use it on the one machine you registered it with, if you buy a retail copy you can install it as many times as you'd like on as many systems as you like, as long as its only on one system at a time. Sadly you need to dish out the money and get another copy of the OS. Also for clarification a...

hitechgowthaman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
If old system is company product or pre build with os (ex acer,dell,hp ) u dont allowed to use software in new or change mobo (if mobo is same, same company same board u can use old software after changing mobo)

CoryJamaul

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
The computer I have right now was a custom build that I did a few years ago, and I upgraded it with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM about 5 months ago, which I purchased from Newegg. If I'm replacing the MB, HDD and such can I reuse this license to reinstall on the new Drive, assuming I delete the OS off the old HDD?

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

OEM means you can only use it on the machine you purchased the software for, which is why it is much cheaper to buy OEM than to buy a retail copy of Windows. So for OEMs yes you can only use it on the one machine you registered it with, if you buy a retail copy you can install it as many times as you'd like on as many systems as you like, as long as its only on one system at a time. Sadly you need to dish out the money and get another copy of the OS. Also for clarification a new "system" is defined as a new motherboard. If your previous mobo dies however MS is pretty good about letting you continue using the same license.

Solution

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
If it's not an OEM version you can always use 1 copy. You can upgrade to your hearts content and migrate the license.

If it is an OEM version (or came with your computer), then changing out the motherboard will according to the rules not work. OEM licenses are cheaper and licensed only to that first machine / motherboard.

That being said, if you call microsoft support when you use your license key and it will not activate - there's a good chance they will simply unlock it for you.

If your mobo dies, u can replace it and use the licence.

The replacement must be equivalent of the old one.

This must be activated over the phone with MS.

This restriction is there because u have the licence with great discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS