Sign in with
Your question

Display Port to DVI = 120hz Yes/No ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2012 7:10:23 PM

Hi,

Need to run 3x monitors @ 120hz for NVIDIA Surround, no prob all the monitors would be the same. Except they only offer Display Port or HDMI and as far as I know HDMI cant deliver 120hz. Between my two gtx580's I have 2x Display that I'll use for 2 of the 3 monitors, and whats left over is DVI or HDMI ports. So what I need to know is if I can change between the DP on the monitor to DVI on the card through cabling and still maintain 120hz throughout.

Monitor Display Port ---> Display Port Cable --> Display Port to DVI change --> DVI Video Card

Will I maintain 120hz along this chain so that my monitor, windows, NVIDIA Surround, and anything else will see 120hz?

Oh and, would I need to use DVI-I Dual Link, or DVI-D Dual Link?

All responses are appreciated but if you are just taking a guess please mention so. If you've done this successfully and can tell me the brand of the cable you're using that would be awesome.

Thanks All

More about : display port dvi 120hz

February 11, 2012 9:58:32 PM

I'm reading that Display Port is 8.46+1Gbps and a DVI-D Dual Link can carry 10Gbps. Is it the capacity of the cable which supports the frequency?

This is the one I'm thinking about buying:

http://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidia/en_US/pd/productID...

Quote:

This converter can support resolution
- 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz for 2D displays
- 1920x1200 @ 120Hz for professional 3D projectors.
- 1920x1080 @ 120Hz for 3D Vision Ready LCDs

I'm somewhat confused because I want 120hz for 2D not just 3D. My monitors are not 3D Vision Ready. Also it seems not to support HDCP, will I run into issues with this in gaming or watching Blu Ray movies?
a c 251 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 11, 2012 10:22:19 PM

First you need to know the DVI-I is not dual link , DVI-D is dual link and the D after the dash signifies dual link. You also might want to check the spec's of your video card because the GTX 580 has two DVI ports on it but they are not necessarily DVI-D. What brand and model video card do you have?
Related resources
February 11, 2012 10:36:08 PM

inzone said:
First you need to know the DVI-I is not dual link , DVI-D is dual link and the D after the dash signifies dual link. You also might want to check the spec's of your video card because the GTX 580 has two DVI ports on it but they are not necessarily DVI-D. What brand and model video card do you have?

Are you sure about the DVI part? According to this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/digital-video-dvi-h...

Both DVI-I and DVI-D have single and dual link versions. At any rate it looks like DVI-D Dual Link is the one I want as that page says "However, most DVI displays and video sources are DVI-D, and the female ports do not contain sockets to accept the four extra analog pins."

My video card is a MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition, this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Under ports it simply says DVI-I but if you look at the I/O panel it appears to support all forms of DVI.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 122 C Monitor
February 11, 2012 11:03:08 PM

DVI-D dual-link does indeed support 120hz @1080p regardless of 3D or not. Same with DP, but HDMI does not.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 122 C Monitor
February 11, 2012 11:04:25 PM

inzone said:

Unfortunately this isn't true. DVI-I and DVI-D both have dual link and single link versions. DVI-D is digital and I believe DVI-I has both digital and analog capabilities.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI-A is Analog
DVI-D is digital
DVI-I has both

Those types come in dual link and single link versions, except for the DVI-A which is single link only.
February 11, 2012 11:14:32 PM

So it looks like what I need to do is get myself a DP to DVI-D Dual Link cable/adapter. Now the question is ..can I find one for less than $100 lol.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a c 193 C Monitor
February 11, 2012 11:40:21 PM

jsnfyl said:
Also it seems not to support HDCP, will I run into issues with this in gaming or watching Blu Ray movies?

It does not affect games.

However, to watch copy protected HD movies you will have an issue. Both video card and monitor must support HDCP to watch copy protected HD movies at full resolution. Otherwise, I believe you should be able to watch it in lower resolution, but I am not positive since I can't test it out. I don't have a Blu-Ray player.
February 11, 2012 11:59:16 PM

jaguarskx said:
It does not affect games.

However, to watch copy protected HD movies you will have an issue. Both video card and monitor must support HDCP to watch copy protected HD movies at full resolution. Otherwise, I believe you should be able to watch it in lower resolution, but I am not positive since I can't test it out. I don't have a Blu-Ray player.

Well I can watch Blu Ray movies with my current video card and monitor so if anything I would just have to watch it on either of the two which do not have the adapter on it.
!