AMD FX-8120 or FX-8150

LoonerTik

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Need advice on selecting between two very similar CPUs: AMD FX-8120 or AMD FX-8150.

I'm working on organizing my first build and haven't been able to determine a major difference between the two other than the price. The rig will be used 90% of the time for computations and related work (CPU and RAM intensive). The CPU will be operating in the head node of a 3-node cluster.

Any relevant advice (on CPUs, clusters, or computations) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One difference that I notice is the stock speed with the 8150 coming in at 3.6ghz and the 8120 at 3.1 ghz. So I'm guessing that your paying an extra $40 for that stock speed difference. Based on the price at Newegg.
Maybe that means the 8150 will reach a higher overclocked speed.

Maybe that means the 8150 will reach a higher overclocked speed.
Nope, not that I've seen, but yes you're on the right track, the only difference is the stock clock speed. Since both are fully overclockable, theres no real advantage to paying more for the 8150. I know some say that the 8150s are binned better for a higher overclock, but no evidence I've seen substantiates it. They can both typically handle at least 4.5GHZ. Anything beyond that though is getting pushy for a daily OC.

LoonerTik

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

This is the same idea I had especially after reading reviews and compiling some stats on what people are saying. I don't even think I'll need a substantial amount of OCing or even any at all.

The 8120 and 8150 are the same processor just that the 8120 is binned slightly lower on stock clocks but for all intents and purposes is the exact same thing. As for the synthetics, well you should only glance but don't accept it as the holy bible of things, Cinebench like many others is pre-programmed to reflect figures, also not all chips operate at 100% capability due to defects in fab process that still passes scruitiny, but nevertheless one 8150 doesn't run the same as another or 2500k the same as another, but they will reflect the same numbers.