Gaming Build..will order once approved by you guys

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Looking for a good gaming build where i can max out games with ease... this is what i have come up with. I'm on the verge of ordering the parts after i get an approval from you guys.. i also sitll have an extra $100 to spend.. should i upgrade to the i7-2600k? or upgrade the video card? Or is it fine the way it is?

I don't know ANYTHING about overclocking right now.. but am interested in it which was why i went with the 2500k.. This will be my first time building a computer so i'm really nervous and excited. :)

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU - Intel i5 - 2500k

Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Video Card - EVGA Superclocked Geforce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

Sound Card - HT | Omega Striker 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1Tb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s

Power Supply - Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certifified Modular Active PFC

CD Drive - Asus DRW - 24b1ST

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, i will upgrade to the motherboard you suggested.. how big of an upgrade is the 7850 over the video card that i posted though? Is it true that Intel works better with Geforce video cards and AMD with Radeon? I put in a soundcard because i listen to alot of music and want that crystal clear goodness..but i'm not too sure if needed though. Sorry, still a newbie at this computer stuff.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It all looks good to me. Don't bother going with the 2600k, it won't make a difference for gaming. At least not a bug enough difference to be noticeable. However, if you have an extra $100, then you could get something such as a GTX 570 such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593 which is only an extra $50, and then you could spend the other $50 on a power supply upgrade, because the GTX 570 uses a bit more power than the 560 ti, but not much. Something such as this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 Seasonic is probably the most reliable, but Corsair is right up there with it.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Well, how much did your speakers cost. If it's less than 3 digits, don't bother.

Don't go 570. The 7850 consumes less power, and matches its performance.

Corsair is made by Seasonic (mostly).. You could get a more efficient one, but that one will be fine.

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
mmmmk. I think i'm gonna go with the 570 and fan that you posted jrwizbang.. i'm more of a Geforce fan ( Sorrrry gary). and... how reliable is that motherboard you posted gary? I'm just going by reviews and it only had 1 review.. wish my bf knew about computers.. this process would be so much easier lol. I don't wanna start any wars here!

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Kay! This is my final piece! I took out the soundcard , changed the power supply and video card..Is it ready to go?! Also.. do i need another fan? Am i missing anything? So excited :)

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU - Intel i5 - 2500k

Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Video Card - EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1Tb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s

Power Supply - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750

CD Drive - Asus DRW - 24b1ST

kwb

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Gonna agree with Gary here, the 7850 is unmatched in price vs performance http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html, (don't take my word for it). The motherboard you've picked (extreme3 gen3) is very good, it comes with THX TruStudio sound, which is top notch, so you don't really need the sound card, unless you're an audiophile, with a killer set of speakers. The motherboard Gary listed is also good, with a few more features, you may, or may not need.

What games are you going to be playing? The 560 ti is a very good card, and it may be plenty, (blows games like WoW away on max settings) just depends on what you're going to be playing. Also, do you plan to SLI or Crossfire in the future? If not you can go with a 550 watt PSU, and have plenty of power overhead. I like the OCZ ZT series, but Seasonic also makes good stuff.

Edit: if you do decide to stick with the 570 (which is also a good card) you'll want a 650 watt PSU.

Edit again: if you're not over clocking the HAF 922 (phenomenal case!) will keep your hardware icy cold, so no need for extra fans. If you plan to just say so, and I'll make recommendations.

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
It's gonna be for Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, yes i am an audiophile but i think i'll hold off on the soundcard for now.. don't wanna go over my budget! I don't even have any idea what SLI or Crossfire is (blushface) , is it when you have 2 video cards? I'm probably not gonna mess with that for a while.. till i learn what overclocking is.. lol. I'm guessing the 2 video cards you guys posted is just personal preference? Just like Intel and AMD? Or is one really THAT much better than the other? Gah, this computer stuff is so hard to learn.

kwb

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I like Nvidia and AMD, I've got no real personal preference. For the money though, the 7850 is the clear winner, check out the review I linked. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419 $260 and it comes with a free game, Dirt 3, a $50 value (very fun racing game). The HD 7850 runs cooler, and draws less power than the 570, which means you can get a 550 watt PSU, and have plenty of power to spare. If you plan to go SLI/Crossfire (2 cards at the same time) you'd need at least a 750 watt PSU.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Well, in all honesty, the 7850 is newer tech, which means that it will keep up with newer software coming out, but that also means, that there are going to be a lot of issues for a little while. In my opinion, nVidia has much better drivers than ATi, and better support in general, although personally I have always had ATi cards. There is one or two upsides to the 7850 though. One: it consumes less power, though not a whole lot, is still noticeable. And two: it is cheaper. So really it just comes down to how much money you want to spend, but as far as video cards go, a general rule of thumb: you get what you pay for (most of the time) If you really want to do some comparing this site: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372 will be your best friend, and you can also compare cpu's, ssd's, etc. If you do go with the 570, then definitely go with the PSU I recommended over the one you had originally picked. If you go with the 7850, the one you chose is good as well. The mother board that Gary has recommended is good, but like the video card, it is new tech, and could have some issues, though not that likely with mother boards. The extreme3 z68 however, has THX TruStudio sound, which means you would not need a soundcard for great sound, and could save your money.

kwb

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I never really see people recommend this, but, why not take a while and just get familiar with the site, I see that you joined today. Just browse around and read some articles, see what others are doing, and the big thing--why. After all, you've got a lil' while before D3 and GW2 comes out. You don't have to buy right now, and by the time you need to, price points will have dropped, and some new tech will be out. But, if you're in a hurry, then by all means, "pull the trigger". Good luck with your build.

EDIT: You don't need any fans/coolers unless you're planning to Overclock.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Uhh yeah definitely. You wont really notice that much of a performance gain though unless you do a whole lot of rendering and such. Spend it elsewhere. You know, guys aren't the only ones who should spend their money on their "significant other" :p

rennnnny

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hey guys im back! Fortunately all my parts go there safely :) UNFORTUNATELY, ive run into a little problem... i'm doing the "external test" , I have my PSU , Video card, and motherboard all connected properly i'm pretty sure. I power on the motherboard and it brings me to the UEFI screen on the monitor. From the newegg "how to build a computer" video, it says i'm supposed to hear a beep which i did not. Whats the prob? Do i need a beep or no since i can access the UEFI screen? :(