- I want to place it in my TV stand and connect it to the Receiver and TV by HDMI and be able to play movies, music, streaming (netflix, youtube, pandora, etc) but I don't want a gaming machine - I don't play games.
- Highest quality for Audio and Video. Looks like some 1080p advertisements are just an up-convert and not real 1080p. So, I really need to have the best sound and picture quality on my TV. BTW, is there any new protocol that I should consider for the future? I heard 4k is coming up. Is there any device that can handle 4k?
- Remote Keyboard/Touch but not a large (standard) keyboard
- Fast Startup and Shutdown time and resistant to power disconnect
- No Hard Disk (I am thinking to boot it from a memory flash)
- Super quiet
- Less than $400
What I need is a list of components with specific model numbers (motherboard, cpu, etc.).
Well, I don't want best of everything. I just did a quick newegg cart and with a Mini ATX - combo motherboard, with 1 GB memory, you can build a descent computer. My concern is that I'm afraid of missing a new standard or something. Very hard to keep up to the new protocols and standards and technologies that big companies come up with every day.
This is cheap as I could get it look at everything and add it up. You needed a good sound card and you really need a bigger hard drive. You cannot just go and get all the crap parts if it will be a media pc. Let me see your list. The newer systems need good power you can not just go and get the cheapest you find.
So, a few things. I can get rid of the dvd player, the hard disk, the sound card, and the windows. I am going to use linux and boot the system from a flash memory. And an HDMI output already gives a raw digital audio output that is the highest possible sound quality since it is raw and there is no noise or loss of quality involved in it.
Now your motherboard and casing are ATX which makes my computer too big. As I mentioned, I need a Mini ATX not an ATX because I want to put it next to my DVR and Receiver in the TV stand shelves.
That means that with your configuration is actually less than $400. However, I have to spend more on the case and some super quiet fans for the cpu and the case.