Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question About Bottlenecking

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2012 10:57:49 PM

Hi, folks.

I need help. Is a Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66ghz processor sufficient enough to run a GeForce 9800 GT without bottlenecking? How about with a GeForce GTX 560TI or a Radeon HD 6870? What's the maximum graphics card it can handle without bottlenecking? My friend has an Intel Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz processor (which is a little faster than the E7300 I mentioned above) and it's perfect with his 560TI, no bottleneck. So I am thinking if the E7300 can handle the top video cards nowadays, and what's the maximum it can handle. Please help. I'd really appreciate your response. Thank you.

More about : question bottlenecking

Best solution

a c 265 à CPUs
August 1, 2012 11:21:04 PM

A E7300 can handle a GTX690 without a bottleneck.

But, depending on the game, you may not do significantly better than you would with a lesser card.

It does depend on the game.

To get some idea if what you might expect with a stronger graphics card,
Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

You will always get diminishing incremental returns as the graphics card gets stronger.
What you do get is higher minimum fps, and more eye candy.

In this case, your friend's GTX560ti would seem to be appropriate.
If you bought an even stronger card, you would still do better, the question is by how much.

If you play just one game exclusively, look for benchmarks of that game.
Otherwise, don't worry about it. Just buy the strongest card your wallet and psu can handle.
Do make certain that it is several tiers better than your current card, or you may be disappointed.
August 1, 2012 11:22:30 PM

I would say a gtx 460 would be a good choice also because thats what I have on my core 2quad q8200 with no issues. I would overclock mildly to pull out more effects out of your card. I would say a single gtx560 would be okay IMHO.
Related resources
August 3, 2012 3:52:07 AM

Best answer selected by estavick.
August 3, 2012 4:34:41 AM

Thanks a lot, Seabass and geofelt.

I am actually gonna be having a Dell Inspiron 518 with a Core 2 Duo e7300 processor at 2.66ghz. My friend is gonna give it to me next week. I am planning on adding a video card. My current options are: GTX 260 and Radeon HD 4870. Would a 500w PSU be sufficient with the card plugged in the Dell Inspiron 518? I understand that it's always better to get more wattage than needed, for future and performance purposes, but I don't have that much budget. So I am wondering if a 500w PSU is sufficient enough to run my Inspiron 518 with the graphics card?
August 3, 2012 9:29:23 AM

I'm going to disagree and say that a E7300 will bottleneck a GTX 690 horribly.

It may play your games but it WILL bottleneck horribly.
a c 265 à CPUs
August 3, 2012 2:07:22 PM

estavick said:
Thanks a lot, Seabass and geofelt.

I am actually gonna be having a Dell Inspiron 518 with a Core 2 Duo e7300 processor at 2.66ghz. My friend is gonna give it to me next week. I am planning on adding a video card. My current options are: GTX 260 and Radeon HD 4870. Would a 500w PSU be sufficient with the card plugged in the Dell Inspiron 518? I understand that it's always better to get more wattage than needed, for future and performance purposes, but I don't have that much budget. So I am wondering if a 500w PSU is sufficient enough to run my Inspiron 518 with the graphics card?

The psu you need will be almost entirely gated by the power needs of the graphics card. A quality 500w psu will have the needed amperage . About 38a.
If the psu has enough 6 pin power leads for the graphics cards, it will have enough power to drive those leads.
August 3, 2012 6:46:16 PM

I got a gtx 260 in my wifes system and its a c2d e6750, and it seems perfect for it.
!