7970 tearing on original Crysis but not Crysis 2?!

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hello,

I have had a Sapphire 7970 installed since yesterday and I am very impressed with the improvement over my Sapphire 5870. However, I do not understand why I am experiencing screen tears in the original Crysis and not the sequel? I am running both games on maximum detail at 1920 x 1080 (my native resolution at 60hz), yet Crysis 2 is perfect, and even when the Crysis logo appears before the first cut scene at the start of the game, it looks jagged around the edges?! And it's when parachuting in to the start of the 1st level I see tears appear?

Is this due to the current crop of drivers? Any advice or experience with this would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Tearing is something that happens with all cards and has happened since the beginning of gaming. However, screen tearing occurs more when you have higher FPS than with lower FPS. Try turning on V-sync to fix it.

Evshrug

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Huh, jagged edges too?
It's my understanding that if your super-muscular graphics card is putting out a frame rate higher than your monitor's refresh rate, that causes screen tearing. Makes sense that you would experience that. Did you try turning V-sync on, for 60fps capped frame rate?
As far as the logo jaggies, that could either be Anti Aliasing isn't being applied to the logo, or sometimes companies just have low res splash screens. I've seen that a lot in other games (don't have crysis myself to test for you). Does the rest of the game have a lot of jaggies along the edges of shapes, like along the outside of a fence or something?

Basically, I bet you could instantly solve AA and over-sync errors with a simple trip to the settings menu. You might just have to live with the logo though, LOL!

Cheers! I got to play 30 mins of Crysis 2 via gaikai.com, looks like it would be really fun to own :)

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Crysis 1 looks better on Nvidia cards in my experience and probably do to Nvidia crippling Radeon cards in that game like the try and do often to make themselves look better than the competition.

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks for the response, have turned on v sync, as the caps were whistling when I first ran the game LOL!! It seems to be not as bad as I first thought tbh? I just noticed it more when I was watching the opening scene and parachuting/falling into the water, and again, just the odd white splurge whilst swimming in the water etc. The edges within the game itself are actually OK. I am going to try Fraps and see what fps I am hitting? I should imagine that it will be my monitors refresh rate of 60mhz, as that what I get in Crysis 2 in DX11 with hi res textures and maximum detail.

Do any of you know why ANY tearing in Crysis 1 should occur and not in 2? And on another note, when do you all think "official" whql drivers will be released and will they make any difference to screen tears?!

Screen tearing has nothing to do with drivers. Screen tearing occurs when the graphics card updates the buffer to be sent to the monitor while the information is being sent to the monitor resulting in the monitor displaying half of one frame and half of another.

If you do not turn on v-sync, all bets are off on whether you will get tearing. The more FPS you get beyond your monitors refresh rate, the more tearing can occur, but screen tearing can occur at any FPS, but only 1 tear can occur below your monitors refresh rate, and more can occur every multiple beyond the monitor refresh rate.

The difference between the two games comes down to either luck or one game had v-sync on while the other didn't. And just so you don't freak out the next time you see tearing with v-sync on, not all game engines will allow v-sync.

V-sync prevents the graphics card from writing to the buffer until the it is no longer writing the information to the monitor, which will cap your FPS to your refresh rate and often drops it lower if your FPS can't handle consistent FPS higher than your refresh rate.

I've played Crysis 1 on two Nvidia setups and two Radeon setups and I couldn't see a difference.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

most people cant you need a high quality monitor to see all the details tho most people do not run very good monitors.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

You're lying if you say you can see a difference between them.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

All monitors are not made = the great one show more detail than the good ones which show more details than a poor one and it's not how much you paid for the monitor cause so $500 monitors are worse than $200 monitor.

And whether they are great or not would not change things if they produced different images. Better monitors may produce crisper images or more precise color, but they would not hide differences.

There may be slight differences. I will notice that out of the box, one tends to be brighter than the other or has different gramma levels. You'll also find that until a very recently, they had different AA levels where the standard AA levels (x4, x8 ...) were better on AMD than Nvidia, because Nvidia used a short cut method for standard AA, but they supplied CSAA versions which were the same.

To call one method better than the other is opinion. With a little tweaking and understanding of any differences, the end result is indistinguishable.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I run Crysis with dual 6970's completely maxed out, and I have seen it run on Nvidia cards and I can tell you it doesn't get any better than what I'm experiencing.

You are wrong.

I do believe it's best that we not hijack the thread any more than we have over this guy. He is a banned member as of the last day or 2 and just started again. He likely has many banned account and is not likely worth our time.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Well in my experience and opinion AMD/Ati/Radeon had and has better AA/AF, crisper, IQ verses Nvidia however I have not run any of the 5xx series Nvidias so they might have change it up on the latest Nvidias.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Whom are you in referent to ?

Sorry, I went back to check and it was PaperBoy who was banned and started "Computer Guy". Your name reminded me of the latter.

Edit: I also might add that you are a lot more reasonable than the person I thought you were at first.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

No sorry I am new to Tom's Hardware but it looks interesting.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

You may not be the person Bystander is referring to, but that doesn't necessarily exclude you from being "Gordon Freeman".

A lot of similarities...

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Anyway...

OP: As has been pointed out, screen-tearing occurs when frames are being rendered faster than your monitor can display them.

You might try forcing V-Sync through your CCC. If that doesn't work, open the CFG file using either notepad or wordpad and see if you can add "V-Sync ON", and then select "Save as" followed by "All types".