Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 2500k core 1 and 3 10 degrees hotter than 0 and 2

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2012 12:31:46 AM

Specs-
Processor- i5 2500k @ Stock Speed(3.3 Ghz)
Mobo- ASUS p8z77-m
HSF- Noctua NH U12P SE2
Cabinet- NZXT Gamma
PSU- Seasonic S12II 620w
TIM USED- Noctua NT-H1

Whenever I open either Real Temp or HWiNFO64's sensor data 'core 1' and 'core 3' are the hottest one whereas 'core 0' is the coolest one. I have tried reseating my HSF and reapplying TIM 2 times already and results were the same. Is this coz of a faulty sensor or something else. When I was running prime95 torture tests I also noticed that CPU temp in Asus AI Suite were around 47 Degrees after 1 hr of testing whereas core temps on HWiNFO and real temp were around 58 degrees on load. here is a screenshot to give you an idea about what kind of a difference between different Core's temps I am referring to.

P.S. The same issue with difference in temps was there even with Intel stock HSF.

a c 218 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 2, 2012 12:51:06 AM

With muliple core cpus there will always be a difference in temps between the cores. I have a 980x which is a six core and they are all at different temps but because they were all within a smalldifference in temps I didn't feel there was any cause for alarm and they continue to be that way and the cpu performs very well. If the difference was more then there could be an issue but to be within 10c is normal.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:09:17 AM

inzone said:
With muliple core cpus there will always be a difference in temps between the cores. I have a 980x which is a six core and they are all at different temps but because they were all within a smalldifference in temps I didn't feel there was any cause for alarm and they continue to be that way and the cpu performs very well. If the difference was more then there could be an issue but to be within 10c is normal.

I myself wouldn't have been worried too much about difference in temps but sometimes the difference goes to almost 12 degrees thats when I start to panic. Also the Idle temps of around 40 degrees aren't good enough for this cooler when the ambient temp is just 23 degrees. Correct me if I am wrong? Do I need to re-seat this HSF again? I haven't even overclocked this beast yet. Idle temps of 40 degrees at stock speed seems a little too high to me. :??: 
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 11:20:46 AM

Can someone please tell me which temp to monitor when overclocking? i am getting a little confused while searching through google. Some people say that you have to monitor temps of individual cores whereas I found 2 posts in intel community which recommended to monitor the CPU temp under Nuvoton section and to keep it below 72 degrees. Here is a screenshot of my temps at 100 percent load running prime95 blend test with 4.0 ghz OC.

m
l

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 2, 2012 4:01:23 PM

Usually in a monitoring software program the temps will be broken down by the individual cores and you will also get a cpu temp which is the average of all the cores. That cpu temp average is what you want to look at because when you look in the biios at the cpu temp it just gives you the one temp so in the monitoring program you want to look at the overall termp.
If you have a core that is spiking and you are 100% sure that the thermal compound is evenly spread over the top of the cpu then the cpu can be defective and a call to Intel tech support would help to get to the cause and whether or not there needs to be a RMA.
In looking at your screenshot the temps while under load look fine and are all within a 2 or 3 degree of each other and while at idle there is a bigger difference. When looking at the temps at idle are you waiting a good amount of time to let the cores cool down , they may not all cool down the same because once the load is stopped and you are returning to idle there may be a process or two that is run and take one or two cores to be used and then those cores will take longer to cool down.
August 2, 2012 4:15:20 PM

inzone said:
Usually in a monitoring software program the temps will be broken down by the individual cores and you will also get a cpu temp which is the average of all the cores. That cpu temp average is what you want to look at because when you look in the biios at the cpu temp it just gives you the one temp so in the monitoring program you want to look at the overall termp.
If you have a core that is spiking and you are 100% sure that the thermal compound is evenly spread over the top of the cpu then the cpu can be defective and a call to Intel tech support would help to get to the cause and whether or not there needs to be a RMA.
In looking at your screenshot the temps while under load look fine and are all within a 2 or 3 degree of each other and while at idle there is a bigger difference. When looking at the temps at idle are you waiting a good amount of time to let the cores cool down , they may not all cool down the same because once the load is stopped and you are returning to idle there may be a process or two that is run and take one or two cores to be used and then those cores will take longer to cool down.

Yeah I have waited for like an hour and still the difference between the temps of core 0/2 and core 1/3 is like 10 degrees but when under load they are almost identical that's the reason why I got a little confused. Also the temps in BIOS and ASUS AI SUITE are like 33 degrees at idle and 54 degrees under load. Whereas separate core temps on different softwares like HWiNFO, HWMonitor and real temp are all like 40 degrees in idle and 63 degrees under load(prime95 blend test).

By average cpu temp you mean "CPU package" temp or CPU Temp under Nuvoton section?

here is a screenshot of Idle temps. I have done nothing for past 1 hour and there is almost 0 activity under task manager. Why such a huge difference between CPU temp under nuvoton and CPU Package Temp? Is this normal? Should I try reinstalling HSF and reapplying TIM? I have already done that once today and it had no effect at all.

m
l
August 3, 2012 8:23:53 AM

Quote:
redo your thermal paste, you the spread technique..

Installed the HSF from scratch. Redid the paste and here are the temps at 4.0 GHz OC with prime95 blend test running for about an hour.

The problem still remains with the idle temps. Difference between core 0/2 and 1/3 is still around 8-10 degrees. Core 0/2 idlign at around 38-40 degrees and core 1/3 idling around 45-47 degrees. Can it be a faulty sensor? Should i try smiley method with Arctic cooling Mx-2 instead of applying spread or 1 drop in centre with Noctua nt-h1? Ambient temp is around 25-28 degree Celsius. Fan speeds-
1) Cabinet rear exhaust- 2000 RPM running at max
2)Cabinet front intake- 1300 RPM running at max
3)HSF 2 fans(Push-pull) - 1300 RPM running at max
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:49:19 AM

Best answer selected by rohit32407.
m
l
!