Sign in with
Your question

Laptop crashing advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2012 12:57:52 AM

Hi everyone, so I've been having semi-regular crashes when playing games or watching videos on my Acer 4820TG laptop. See this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340957-33-laptop-cras...

I sent it in to Acer, and shockingly they returned it saying that everything was working fine according to their tests. Temperature doesn't seem to be the problem. I downloaded furmark and it seems to be able to run pretty much indefinitely at 69-70 degrees without crashing. Well, I only tested it for an hour, but it seemed like it was just going to keep going.

Would it be possible to downclock my graphics card and see if that helps stability somehow? All I really care about is playing starcraft 2 without it crashing. I usually play on mostly low settings, and get a pretty high framerate, so I have a bit of extra room to downgrade. I've already tried reducing my max processor power via windows power settings, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

More about : laptop crashing advice

a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 1:13:39 AM

set all power setting to max in the windows power settings and don't touch them unless you need battery life for something (don't play games on battery).

Then reinstall your graphics drivers. do this by uninstalling via control panel, downloading and using driversweeper to clean left over amd/radeon files and then reinstalling the latest drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 1:46:05 AM

AMD now supports mobile graphics. go to amd.com and navigate through the "find a driver" menu for your setup. "notebook graphics"-> "radeon hd" -> "hd 5000 series" ->etc.

Acer makes great value hardware but i wouldn't touch their software with a stick. Even if it's just repackaged drivers.
February 12, 2012 1:49:14 AM

Nope, when I run it it says "incompatible hardware" contact your manufacturer for updated drivers.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 2:08:35 AM

ah, damn.
ok, some hardware trouble shooting then.
You said it ran furmark without crashing. Try prime95 on "blend", run it for an hour or two. Monitor your temps for the first few minutes with realtemp to make sure it doesn't get too hot. This will show problems with cpu and ram.
A memtest86 run would also be good. Use the bootable cd/dvd version.

If it's ram, your lucky cause it's cheap(ish) to replace.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a c 406 D Laptop
February 12, 2012 2:13:37 AM

momotiki said:

I sent it in to Acer, and shockingly they returned it saying that everything was working fine according to their tests. Temperature doesn't seem to be the problem. I downloaded furmark and it seems to be able to run pretty much indefinitely at 69-70 degrees without crashing. Well, I only tested it for an hour, but it seemed like it was just going to keep going.

Is that the video card's or CPU's temperature?

If it is your video card's temp, then download Core Temp to monitor your CPU temps.
February 12, 2012 2:17:53 PM

That was my GPU temp. My processor temp was in the high 50s I believe. Using speedfan to monitor temperatures. Will try prime95 and memtest and get back to the list.
February 12, 2012 3:34:42 PM

Okay, I ran prime95 for about an hour and the processor cores got up to 85 so I stopped it. However, no signs of system instability. Plus, this is way hotter than it ever gets during sc2 or watching videos. I'm pretty sure it is not RAM, since this happened a bit when I first got the computer, and I've since upgraded to 8gb of RAM and it is still happening. Is there a way to test the video RAM?
!