Newb learning to build new stuff!!

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I've pondered it a lot. But, never really got too far in my head with the though of building a server. more so i never understood the point of building a server at home. But, i think i am starting to.

I've got a computer with potential I probably won't use in a long time. I was thinking of building a new computer with a little less potential and turning my current one into a server.

First off I need to know what I require to turn this computer into a server?
I'm using verizon internet and the Router isn't very good i don't think.
So is there a special type of router or Ethernet connection kinda deal i can get for this?
Yes mostly I just want this to be an in/at home server. for many reasons.
My gf uses a notebook that's relatively crappy. If i am not mistaken if software is run from a server it's using mostly the server's resources not the notebooks. Of course it requires a good network etc etc. But, I also want the option to be able to control her notebook from my main computer. simply cause well she's not a "secure" person and she tends to download and not pay attention to what she is downloading. So, I figured if I could "assist" and insure she isn't downloading virus's and crap i can help keep the server secure and not have to deal with Fixing her computer every other week.

Bottom line, i understand the basics of a server but i don't know exactly the requirements for one.
What are things that i need for major gaming. we both play wow and many other games so I figure i can have wow running from the server to help use less resources from our own computers. I run 3 monitors. her notebook connects to one on occasion.
So, this bring to me to another question.
Do servers or can servers use a graphics card as a resource or are they required on the host computers?
not meant to be a stupid question but her computer as i said is a notebook. so graphics are always crappy. Especially when she plugs into the other monitor. So, is there a way i can increase the graphics on that computer with the resources on a server?

HRM a lot of this is mostly to improve her computing. She refuses to let me build her a computer so i figured i could have some fun building a server for the whole home and "secretly be building her a computer :p..

Anyways, If there's already a post explaining what a home server does and can do mind posting a link. I've read a bit but not much obviously. I'm still learning a lot with networking and servers it's a topic i've never really touched this is my first attempt to even learn about them. any and all information is appreciated..

Solution
My gf uses a notebook that's relatively crappy. If i am not mistaken if software is run from a server it's using mostly the server's resources not the notebooks

unless your using a virtual machine or remoting into a sever/other pc then no. its not. its using its own.

But, I also want the option to be able to control her notebook from my main computer. simply cause well she's not a "secure" person and she tends to download and not pay attention to what she is downloading

reduce her privalages to user, create a new account with admin privelages. dont need a server for that. in fact unless you create a real group with enterprise software connecting it to a server wont do squat. - this will still require you to maintain the...

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
My gf uses a notebook that's relatively crappy. If i am not mistaken if software is run from a server it's using mostly the server's resources not the notebooks

unless your using a virtual machine or remoting into a sever/other pc then no. its not. its using its own.

But, I also want the option to be able to control her notebook from my main computer. simply cause well she's not a "secure" person and she tends to download and not pay attention to what she is downloading

reduce her privalages to user, create a new account with admin privelages. dont need a server for that. in fact unless you create a real group with enterprise software connecting it to a server wont do squat. - this will still require you to maintain the pc on a probably daily basis.

What are things that i need for major gaming. we both play wow and many other games so I figure i can have wow running from the server to help use less resources from our own computers. I run 3 monitors. her notebook connects to one on occasion.

server wont help here. at all. unless your playing minecraft and running your own server, a decent router would be a better investment.

Do servers or can servers use a graphics card as a resource or are they required on the host computers?

servers are PCs. they just have a different focus. a small graphics card for a UI is all you need. not really building a server if you want it for graphics purposes (unless used for large number crunching and you need a hell of a lot for that to be worth it) .

HRM a lot of this is mostly to improve her computing. She refuses to let me build her a computer so i figured i could have some fun building a server for the whole home and "secretly be building her a computer :p..

just build her a computer and give it to her as a present.

to finish...

servers are only good in the home if you have lots of screens in lots of rooms and want to store all your media in one place. for that all you want is a NAS.

for what you want its expensive and unnnecessary. - except as a project where you learn something new

Solution

TRENDING THREADS